Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my Golf Mk8 GTE a circular display shows electric power on the left half and engine revs on the right half. Usally the blue electric power line goes all the way to the top (12 o’clock) but sometimes it doesn’t (around 11 o’clock). I assume there is less power available at the lower position but the reason for this seems to be a mystery. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
On my Golf Mk8 GTE a circular display shows electric power on the left half and engine revs on the right half. Usally the blue electric power line goes all the way to the top (12 o’clock) but sometimes it doesn’t (around 11 o’clock). I assume there is less power available at the lower position but the reason for this seems to be a mystery. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Possibly battery state of charge or battery temperature?

On my GTE when the battery is down to the last few miles the available electric power gradually drops from 100% to 75%.

Similarly when I left home yesterday with a cold but fully charged car the available electric power was around 80%, but after a couple of miles was back up to 100%.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Not only do you loose range under certain conditions (cold weather etc) but also power. I don’t think I will be rushing to go all electric. A hybrid that claims 60 electric miles but actually does 45 might be perfect for me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Interesting. Not only do you loose range under certain conditions (cold weather etc) but also power. I don’t think I will be rushing to go all electric. A hybrid that claims 60 electric miles but actually does 45 might be perfect for me.
To be fair I've only really seen significant power restrictions in sub-zero temperatures, and often then you can't put down all the power anyway as you've not got the grip. I set my charging schedule up so it charges on the cheaper overnight electricity and finishes charging just before I need it, this puts enough heat into the system that the power restrictions are normally minor even on the coldest days.

Do you tend to drive your combustion engine into the red-line when it's stone cold, turbo's don't tend to last long if that's a regular activity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you tend to drive your combustion engine into the red-line when it's stone cold, turbo's don't tend to last long if that's a regular activity.
Ha - or cylinder walls, or piston rings, or big-ends for that matter.

It's fascinated me for a while how hybrid ICE engines are meant to operate at higher revs with very cold oil. My conclusion is they're not, and despite some attempts to make them so - a mechanically unsympathetic PHEV owner could ruin the ICE within 30k miles or so. I know there's some published papers on special oil, different tolerances on cylinder walls etc though I'm not convinced.

On the other hand perhaps it's reasonable to expect an electric motor to be subjected to large load or high revs from stone cold as it doesn't require hot oil to operate does it? I'm not sure, perhaps it's just grease on the bearings and there's no metal on metal at all.

It's the gearbox I'm more wary of when jumping in to the car stone cold and in electric mode - though did I read this has some clever system to speed up gearbox oil heating quickly?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You've got to realise that a hybrid like the GTE has a tiny battery, nominal 7.6kWh
A real EV has something like a 50kWh pack

The end result is the discharge current is about the same - cars require about the same power to move for similar sized vehicles...
but from a much smaller pack, and the GTE has to protect this battery pack, when it is cold, it cannot safely discharge as much power.

In the UK, even in the worst-case of say -5C weather, you will still get full power from nearly every EV on the market. But even if the car doesn't offer full power immediately, as you'll probably note, as soon as the car warms up, the battery becomes more available.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
To be fair it only dropped to 75% power, and only for a couple of miles (at 30 mph) from a cold start.

I don't really see it as an issue - I noticed it for the first time at the weekend (in 2 years of ownership), and I only noticed it on the driver's display, not from how it drove.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.