Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
hope you're all having a good day. I am looking for help and advice for a new project and would like to understand a little more about the viability and potential cost. I would like to build a fully electrically propelled 6x6 expedition truck. It would be fitted with substantial onboard generator to supplement the battery/drive motor on long uphill gradients as the vehicles total weight could be in the region of 20 tons.

I intend to use one centrally mounted motor driving though a 2 speed transfer box to the 3 axles. I have no experience with electric vehicles and would appreciate any help and advice regarding motor, controller, charging and battery selection. It would need to have regen capability to extend duration and more importantly provide good downhill retardation.

Any other suggestions and help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks Jonathan.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You have come to the wrong place. I very much doubt there is anyone on this forum capable or experienced in the design of bespoke electrically vehicles. I' LL restrain myself from commenting on what you are proposing other than to say it is all feasible.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Why are you trying to build a diy vehicle? Why won't existing vehicles meet your needs?
Diy vehicles are usually failure prone.
Keep it simple. Just adapt something already on the market.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First of all, you'd better explain what an expedition truck is.
It's like an off road camper built on a truck chassis. Some are based on pickups or vans and others are based on large 4x4, 6x6 and 8x8 lorry/truck chassis. They are for long distance travel and long durations hopefully in remote locations. Just put expedition truck in youtube and you should get a pretty good idea. Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have come to the wrong place. I very much doubt there is anyone on this forum capable or experienced in the design of bespoke electrically vehicles. I' LL restrain myself from commenting on what you are proposing other than to say it is all feasible.
Thanks for your reply. I live in the northeast of England was hoping to find someone with a good understanding of electrically propelled heavy vehicles to bounce some ideas off and if possible assist in the project if we go ahead. Do you know of any other forums better suited that I should try. Also any companies that are capable of assistance and supplying parts. I believe there was a company up near Newcastle that produced vans and lorrys up to about 11 tons but last time i contacted them they were not willing to supply components. Might try them again.
Once again thank you for your reply and have a good day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why are you trying to build a diy vehicle? Why won't existing vehicles meet your needs?
Diy vehicles are usually failure prone.
Keep it simple. Just adapt something already on the market.
There really isn't much on the market that will do that is not hundreds of thousands of pounds. So we are trying to build something specific to our needs without chopping up pretty good machinery. We already have chassis and axles most of the other stuff we need. So if possible we would like to explore the electrically propelled idea. cheers.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Some in USA have taken a model S and converted into an off-road truck, prob chunky tyres + suspension lift. I think the Gaydon motor museum has a Landover which got given a tracked drive at the back end. Maybe you could bolt something like that to a 4wd EV?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Seems counter intuitive to want battery electric power for a vehicle that will do long distances in remote parts of the world.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Seems counter intuitive to want battery electric power for a vehicle that will do long distances in remote parts of the world.
If it's a large enough vehicle you can carry a deployable solar charging setup that will allow you to charge while encamped at a particular location. Which is much better than you can do for a diesel truck...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vehicle will be powered by an electric motor which will supplemented by a diesel generator when the batteries run low in an emergency situation. The idea of building the camper is to see the world or parts of it, so most of the time we will not be in a hurry. With a large solar capacity the batteries will be getting charged every time the vehicle stops. I imagine at times we will have to stop to charge up but in the event of a deadline we can supplement the drive system with the generator.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,487 Posts
Can't see you managing to get enough solar panels on the vehicle to make a noticeable difference unless you have a solar farm in the back that can be quickly deployed .

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Hi again, I'm not saying the OPs concept is with or without any merit, but just reiterating that after 2 years on this forum, I've not seen any evidence that this forum is a good place to discuss engineering concepts. Its more of a place to say wow look at my shiny new model ABC and by the way, my hybrid gets 500mpg, and an installer is quoting 50p more than a different one to install a charger.

In this sort of situation, its often useful to write down the mission statement and then produce a concept/feasibility study, before launching into detailed design.

Alternatively there is a Scottish EV society, a good Australian EV forum. Either of these places are better IMHO as a place to discuss engineering ideas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again, I'm not saying the OPs concept is with or without any merit, but just reiterating that after 2 years on this forum, I've not seen any evidence that this forum is a good place to discuss engineering concepts. Its more of a place to say wow look at my shiny new model ABC and by the way, my hybrid gets 500mpg, and an installer is quoting 50p more than a different one to install a charger.

In this sort of situation, its often useful to write down the mission statement and then produce a concept/feasibility study, before launching into detailed design.

Alternatively there is a Scottish EV society, a good Australian EV forum. Either of these places are better IMHO as a place to discuss engineering ideas.
Excellent. thank you once again.

·
Registered
845 Posts
why dont you start with a nissan ENV camper van and put huge off-road wheels on it and solar panels on the roof?
maybe tow a trailer or caravan with a deployable solar array?

do modec still do huge electric vans?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
Phooby
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing