Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
These graphs seem to match pretty well with my experiences...

We use a guideline for our own purposes of 75 at 20 degs and 60 at 0 degs... this matches quite well with the average line.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Volt/Ampera average figures are very close to my experience in the colder temperatures but slightly lower at 65 to 75 degrees where I was consistently getting over 47 miles per charge. I am surprised how close the USA driving style matches the UK in battery mileage. I would have expected urban driving in the USA to be easier on the battery.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Urban driving in the USA is much more akin to our motorway driving in my experience. There are many more urban highways and so even driving in and around towns and cities I would expect speeds, and hence ranges, to be pretty close to our ranges we get on longer trips in the UK.

Of course, in the downtown and metro areas and then speeds will be like in any city but I would expect the amount of trips of 20-40 miles to be higher on average than here and I would expect them to be done at higher speeds.

This is just my impression, based on my experience if driving ICEs in the USA so I could easily be wrong in this assumption as I really have no idea about how EVs are used in the USA.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Paul,
There are many variations in urban road and traffic conditions in the USA, and it is difficult to generalise. My comments are based on 15 years living and working in the USA. Generally though USA has more in the way of straight roads having speed limits at 40, 45 or 50mph with traffic lights coordinated so that constant speeds are maintained for many miles. In the UK, in my experience, continual speed variation in more likely. Your road impressions are I think pretty accurate but I am of the opinion (for what its worth) that in the urban environment, with the same vehicle, I would get better fuel mileage in the USA than the UK.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thanks LK13 :)

My experience is also based on living for several years in the USA (New Jersey and Florida) and it sounds like our experiences are similar. I agree with your comments entirely but I perhaps have come to slightly different conclusions based on the same criteria.

I agree that better mileage is likely over any given journey distance due to more continuous speeds but wouldn't you also say that over all of the journeys you might do, that speeds are generally higher in the USA? Not because they are faster drivers but because the percentage of roads where you can drive at higher speeds is greater?

I don't know what the truth is to be honest. It might be that the higher continuous speeds and the generally higher overall speed cancels each other out or one or the other may have less or more impact... it is an interesting topic.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Paul,
I agree with you entirely about the conditions, we have just come to slightly different conclusions. I believe steady speeds at 40 to 50 mph are likely to be more economical than stop and start. Certainly my accelerations are quite brisk giving high instantaneous KW use readings. As you imply, there is probably not much in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts