Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm going to be updating the radiator in my bathroom soon and what with owning an EV, solar panels and battery storage I though I should check out the electric towel radiators with what I've seen online seem quite good. The only thing so far is I can't see any customer reviews on forums or youtube etc.

Does anyone own an electric towel radiator, what are your thoughts on them? I am thinking of getting a Sunamp heat battery next year so wonder if I should stick with the conventional radiator?

Any comments or feedback welcome.

Many thanks

Luke

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Get a good digital adjustable thermostat for it with a high heating temp, that's the most important bit. Get the radiator itself from wherever you like.

Obvs electricity will be more expensive to run but you get the ability to have it turn on when the rest of the heating is off which I found quite an advantage.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I own a battery powered electric toothbrush which matches my electric towel rail. Is that the feedback you wanted. Loo brush is still manual variety, back scratches too.🤪

·
Registered
319 Posts
Er ours has both an electrical element + is plumbed into the central heating circuit. I can use the valves at the bottom to isolate it from the central heating circuit to avoid inefficiently heating the whole central heating loop in summer when we use the electrical heating element.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have a Sunamp Uniq12 recently fitted, and have a small heating circuit which runs three towel rails In the main bathroom, cloakroom and en-suite connected to the secondary heating circuit. The main bathroom one also has a pair of electric heating elements fitted - you can fit a "T" piece to allow both heating methods. The circulation pump on the heating circuit is plugged in via a "smart plug" integrated with my Hue smart lights, so I have a "light" called "Towel Rads" 😀

·
Registered
297 Posts
We also made ours dual fuel by adding an element as well as plumbed hot water. The element was for use drying towels in the summer when the central heating was off. We also went for stainless steel rather than the usual chrome towel rads. Pricey compared to normal ones but no chance of rust especially with wet towels on them. We used SBH radiator brand.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have a Sunamp Uniq12 recently fitted, and have a small heating circuit which runs three towel rails In the main bathroom, cloakroom and en-suite connected to the secondary heating circuit. The main bathroom one also has a pair of electric heating elements fitted - you can fit a "T" piece to allow both heating methods. The circulation pump on the heating circuit is plugged in via a "smart plug" integrated with my Hue smart lights, so I have a "light" called "Towel Rads" 😀
I'm seriously impressed by your attention to getting your systems to do exactly what you want!

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would go electric or dual for towel drying in the summer. We took our electric rails out years ago because our autistic son would turn them on and off to watch the red tell-tale light.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Er ours has both an electrical element + is plumbed into the central heating circuit. I can use the valves at the bottom to isolate it from the central heating circuit to avoid inefficiently heating the whole central heating loop in summer when we use the electrical heating element.
I'm thinking about adding heating element to turn existing towl rail to dual fuel. I think about doing this every summer but never gotten it done.

But did not know one must close heating valves on each of the radiators. That sounds like a faf. Is it a must?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm thinking about adding heating element to turn existing towl rail to dual fuel. I think about doing this every summer but never gotten it done.

But did not know one must close heating valves on each of the radiators. That sounds like a faf. Is it a must?
I wouldn't bother, but it does mean your electric elements might put some heat into the heating circuit overall. I'm also considering it a (not very efficient) short-term backup means of getting hot (well, warm maybe) water if the main heating element in the Sunamp ever fails - run the circulation pump when the towel rad heater elements are on and it'll put some heat into the Sunamp ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
In the house I grew up with, the towel rail was hooked into the tank heating circuit rather than the central heating loop, thus allowing it to be hot in the summer as well as the winter.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
In the house I grew up with, the towel rail was hooked into the tank heating circuit rather than the central heating loop, thus allowing it to be hot in the summer as well as the winter.
Now that would be the best answer in our house. The solar panels easily cover all the hot water in the summer. So zero cost!!

Sadly that's not the way it is plumbed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts