Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Electric Traction System Fault: Repair Needed

19K views 67 replies 24 participants last post by  emanuelgreisen 
I saw the same error after plugging into a PodPoint that said it was broken (I didn't look at the screen first). The car moved just fine, right up to the 60mph limit, but with warning symbols. I disconnected the 12v (nice easy quick release), waited a while, reconnected, waited another 20 minutes, and it's been fine since. There's a recall out, as you may be aware, with 2 firmware updates required. Mine is booked in for the 2nd of August.

That's great cheers - will do the same on day of appointment and hope I get there.

Got told there was a recall but no details or letter or anything before the issue.

Unlucky on the wait for your appointment that is a while. Are you still using it?
I haven't heard anything from Vauxhall or the dealer I bought the car from, or my local dealer. I heard about the recall here! I googled it, and found two different government websites, one which searched by reg number and said there was a recall, but didn't say for what, and another that asked for the make and model and said two recalls, one for the BMS and another for the ECU, both just needing software updates. Turns out if the air con has an issue, it will crash the whole system, and the car will stop and won't move again. The other one might be for the traction system failure error, which seems fairly common and is easily cleared by a powercycle, just like any computer.

I'm still using the car, it's fine now.

Well... the day before my car is due to leave to the garage (and never been seen again apparently 🤣) something strange happened.

I was driving approx 60mph on a dual carriageway, when suddenly steering wheel started tugging to one side. I quickly realised that it was the lane assist but thought that was strange as I turned it off the day I got the car.

And right enough, it was off as I had left it but was pulling when I tried to change lanes. Switching it "on" (orange light on) switched the actual feature off. How bizarre.

Another example of quality engineering from Vauxhall!
I was confused about that too, but it's actually the other way around - when the light is lit, it's off, same as the buttons next to it - I'm not sure why you'd want to turn off parking sensors, but you can, and also internal alarm sensors. Both are off when the light is lit. If you look closely at the symbol, there's a line through it, showing that the function of the button is to turn it off, which sort of makes sense, if you tilt your head and squint.