Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2020
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Ladies and Gents, just wanted to start a discussion about Electric Vans. I am in a huge dilemma as I really want to convert our fleet to electric vans, as we are installing so many EV Charge Points it just makes sense to turn up in an electric van, not a fossil fuel guzzling diesel, the problem is though that at the moment the price of EV Vans is more than double the price of a diesel van, and the range is so poor in general that we would end up getting stuck when we do long range jobs as we travel quite far around the country to install EV Charge Points for our YouTube Subscribers.
I have had quotes so far for the Peugeot E-Expert which looks fairly decent but its over £600 per month which is what I pay for my Tesla! Also they have delayed manufacturing so delivery now is looking like end of the year... The Maxus E Deliver 3 looks interesting but i'm not convinced on the quality, it looks really cheaply built and again looking at £500 + per month to lease one... I don't really want to buy a vehicle outright as the technology is improving so fast that in 2-3 years time I know there will be much better offerings on the market, by which time we will probably purchase the vehicles outright. So my idea is to lease for 2 years until we get some better options, but right now I am really swinging towards just getting a couple more Transit Custom Diesels for £250 a month... The fuel savings etc just still don't outweigh the overall cost, and we cant afford to get stuck halfway to a job and have to charge for an hour to top up... I love EV's and I feel really torn about this whole situation. Very frustrating. Your thoughts please? Anyone out there got an electric van who does 100-150 miles a day on a fairly regular basis?

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 Performance 2020
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is a Renault Kangoo electric no good?

They have very good lease deals on them.
Too small unfortunately I think. we need a mid size van. Out of interest though do you know a leasing company who offers these? Would be interested to get prices anyway.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2 - 2020
340 Posts

Any good for you?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Too small unfortunately I think. we need a mid size van. Out of interest though do you know a leasing company who offers these? Would be interested to get prices anyway.
How big a van do you need?
The problem is that e-vans still have to conform to the LCV weight limits of 3.5tons, which sounds quite generous until you factor in the additional weight of the batteries in comparison to a tank of diesel.
Even if you find an e-van that can offer you the range for your needs you still then have to factor in kerb weight ie. the weight of the driver, any passenger, ply lining, tools and other items that need to be carried and still remain under that 3.5t weight limit.
As an example a Nissan e-NV200 has a gross vehicle weight of 2250kg. Add a driver and his apprentice (175kg), ply-lining (25kg) and you are only left with just over 1000kg for tools and anything else you need to carry. Obviously, the more weight you carry, the less distance the van is capable of driving.
A realistic WLTP range of a mid-size van is 80-100 miles but reduces substantially when loaded up, or in colder weather, especially if the lights and heating are on.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,246 Posts
Left-field idea which may well be a complete non-starter for various reasons (flexibility, manoeuvring, journey speed, difficulty of charging, payload etc etc etc) but just putting it out there..... EV car & a trailer, that will, I suspect, hold it’s value extremely well.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,526 Posts
Not sure about the optics of turning up on site in a Tesla every time, but the trailer idea is a good one.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
If you're occasionally doing long distance ( or carrying lots of gear- more payload reduces range), then something with rapid charging is probably a must - I was surprised to see that quite a few vans don't have it ( or it's optional).
Also maybe start by taking a hard look at how much gear you really need to carry, in case you can make it work with a smaller van.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As an example a Nissan e-NV200 has a gross vehicle weight of 2250kg. Add a driver and his apprentice (175kg), ply-lining (25kg) and you are only left with just over 1000kg for tools and anything else you need to carry. Obviously, the more weight you carry, the less distance the van is capable of driving.
Except the e-NV200 only has a payload of 703kg so only 500kg left after the driver, passenger and ply lining has been accounted for.

Other vans will probably also have lower weight limits than the 3.5t

·
Registered
VW eGolf
332 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Except the e-NV200 only has a payload of 703kg so only 500kg left after the driver, passenger and ply lining has been accounted for.

Other vans will probably also have lower weight limits than the 3.5t
Cheers fella, learn something new every day (y)
I knew as I wrote that, that it was wrong, I just hadn't relaised by how much.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
The Maxus E Deliver 3 looks interesting but i'm not convinced on the quality, it looks really cheaply built and again looking at £500 + per month to lease one...
Just to focus on this, according to reviews there are some oddities with the van (the heater only being off, on or half heat for example) but overall the quality is thought to be excellent - heres a good review

So it seems like a good van at a good price so I wouldnt write it off, however I am not sure if there are any great lease deals around

Buying outright now has taken a knock since the Government grant has just been significantly reduced

·
Registered
830 Posts
If the Maxus is of the same quality as their previous LDV vans then they will be woeful, regardless of what the Youtube videos tell you.

·
Banned
367 Posts
I think that you can't go wrong with the E-NV200.
Prices are decreasing fast and with the 40kWh battery you get ok range, but a bigger battery version could come out any day now.
It's a great van to drive and it's just very reliable even in heavy duty use. At around 100k miles you can expect some small things to need maintenance but then you'll be good for another 100k.

EV charge points are not heavy equipment, so the weights are good.

For long range jobs, I would consider having an ICE.
EV's don't always make sense, you don't want to be paying workers to sit at a fast charger.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Leaf - 40kw
274 Posts
FYI

Changes to Plug In Van scheme
To: 35% of purchase price up to £3,000 for small vans < 2.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (t GVW) and 35% of purchase price up to £6,000 for large vans 2.5-3.5t GVW

·
Registered
643 Posts
Jordan, how about the middle ground. Swap some of your vans for EV’s, and use them for the local jobs. Then have a couple of diesel vans for the longer jobs.

Sadly in the EV world there are sometimes compromises to make but partially electrifying your fleet would be a start. We took this approach with our cars. We need to tow for camping trips but an EV that can tow is over our budget. The solution was to run two cheaper second hand EV’s as our daily drivers and keep our petrol SUV, SORN’d and brought out for holidays only.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts