Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Electric Vehicle Charger Questionnaire

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  andrew*debbie 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My name is Joel, I'm in my final year at the University of Portsmouth doing a project on Electric Vehicle Chargers.

As part of my research I'm conducting a questionnaire of people who own or are in the advanced stages of purchasing a charger.

It's a small survey, requiring no more than 10 minutes of your time.

None of the questions are mandatory and there is a chance at the end to talk about your experience using a charger.

Survey link to form: Electric Vehicle Charger Questionnaire

Any questions or queries, drop me a message.

Thanks very much!

Joel

#2 ·
Just to put you right. The battery charger is built into the car and takes mains electricity, converts it to DC and charges the battery. You dont buy chargers, unless its a Chademo or CCS, and people dont generally buy such Chargers at £10k+ each. What people buy is a charge outlet that simply allows the vehicle to access the maiins power in a safe and consistent manner.

#3 · (Edited)
True but 90% of people still refer to them as chargers (mea culpa) despite vendors referring to them as chargepoints and I think that's going to stick.

Joel, you start your questionaire off with a statement that's just plain wrong.

I wonder if you can see what's wrong with it,

Sales of new petrol and diesel powered vehicles will end in 2040. After this date the population will be entirely reliant on electric vehicles,
A few other errors;
What is your age? (This information will be used for ergonomic purposes)
What mode of charging do you use?
No idea. And no explanation from you.
What type of cable socket do you use? Did you mean in the car or on the "charger"?

#5 ·
True but 90% of people still refer to them as chargers (mea culpa) despite vendors referring to them as chargepoints and I think that's going to stick.

Joel, you start your questionaire off with a statement that's just plain wrong.

I wonder if you can see what's wrong with it,

A few other errors;
What is your age? (This information will be used for ergonomic purposes)
What mode of charging do you use?
No idea. And no explanation from you.
What type of cable socket do you use? Did you mean in the car or on the "charger"?
Hi,

Thank you for letting me know, I will amend the statement.

With the age range, it is used for anthropometric data when it comes to designing. With the cable socket, I meant to specify the car. Sorry for not making that clear to you.

The mode of charging information I got from this webpage:
How to charge electric vehicle ? Safely and simply

Sorry for not explaining this in the question, I hope that clarifies it for you.

Thanks for your feedback,
Joel

#6 ·
hmm wrong country
granny cables are mode 2 with built in controllers.
Charge points Mode 3 I think in that blog, might be 2 as its the granny lead controller on the wall...
Rapids are mode 4 - not really for the home unless you have a serious 3phase installation and some spare cash!

#7 ·
Done.

Your consent and information sheets are very professional. That is something often missing from the student research we see posted to SpeakEV.

- Some people here may not understand Levels 1,2,3 and 4. While those are the corrrect terms, they aren't commonly used in the UK. Also we generaly use Type 1, Type 2, CCS and CHAdeMO for the connector types.

Again you have used correct names, just not the ones EV owners in the UK normally use.

Reactions: Megan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.