Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there SpeakEV,

I'm currently a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison's Design and Innovation program. As part of my capstone project, I'm looking to assess the user experience of infotainment systems in EVs.

I would love to hear about your experiences with EV displays!

What are some aspects you love about your display?

What can't you stand?

Any information will be enormously helpful! Thank you in advance!

All the best,

Kia Pourmodheji

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
508 Posts
Satnav should take a leaf out of tesla and have the longest side vertical giving the best view of what's ahead. Most have longest side horizontal. that's my opinion.

Another goal is to make almost car functions available from the infotainment, even if that duplicates physical buttons. This way designers will more clearly understand the purpose of a physical button is to make that function quickly and easily available to the driver and passengers.

Phone projection (android auto/apple car play) should be complete across all apps. Anything else is an insult.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Touchscreens are terrible. Apart from programming navigation (which I do stationary) and looking at the map, I can do everything I need to in my old VW without taking my eyes off the road because I can feel physical buttons. For anything heavily touchscreen based, I need to take my eyes off the road. If it makes me take my eyes off the road for any more than the briefest of glances, it is flawed. Case and point: Tesla touchscreen wiper controls land driver with fine after crash

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
678 Posts
Why the distinction for EVs? Most of the issues I have are common to infotainment systems in ICE:
  • Physical controls for major functions needing access whilst concentrating. Things needing occasional, but not instant, access on the move on large, clear buttons on a touchscreen if needs be.
  • Most cars still have a button to press to toggle though information to be displayed. This is either a hangover from when any information was a novelty and shown on a tiny display (so you had to toggle) or comes from some MMI idea that people should only be shown limited information at any time. I want to be able to programme the few pieces of information I want to see so they are displayed all the time.
  • Display screens and touchscreens are becoming the norm. Some are well designed and some are awful. Some allow users a limited degree of choice and you can choose the option you like best. I doubt if it will ever occur, but I'd like a standard to be developed setting so that I can chose third party layouts (apps) that can access data from the car and display it, or even lay out my own from a set of 'components'. Clear safety and implementation issues here ('you must have a speedo ...') but it would be nice. Just imagine, the same display set up in each car you drive!
  • Finally, for EVs, a single (physical or touchscreen) button to reach a screen to commence/programme charging and preconditioning (not under x layers of menu).
Edited for clarity.

·
Premium Member
Car club membership..
91 Posts
Touchscreens are terrible. Apart from programming navigation (which I do stationary) and looking at the map, I can do everything I need to in my old VW without taking my eyes off the road because I can feel physical buttons. For anything heavily touchscreen based, I need to take my eyes off the road. If it makes me take my eyes off the road for any more than the briefest of glances, it is flawed. Case and point: Tesla touchscreen wiper controls land driver with fine after crash
Very good point. But the way Tesla do it, with minimal interior design is setting a trend and moving most function to the screen. This is done for sure because there are no specific regulations to have certain controls in either physical, touch or some other ( voice), so will be regulated as they go along.
Does the Tesla have a switch for on/off or just auto wipers on the steering?

-in ev, ( as in any other car really) information in the central computer shouldn’t be essential for driving as you can have all of this info (nãv/ media/ fuel usage) in the driver screen.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Wow, impressive that you can use the satnav without looking at the screen.

·
Registered
230 Posts
But then you are taking your eyes off the road.

Naughty.
Rats, you've caught me. I am ashamed that a brief glance at a map completely invalidates my point about touchscreens being a distraction in cars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts