Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just sold my Nissan Leaf 30kwh to our son. On completing the MOT it was discovered that the main beam offside headlamp has never been connected - the connector was bent at about 180 degrees so it has never worked. Of course the fault begins in the Nissan factory, but it was serviced after a year by a Warrington main Nissan dealer who did not notice the problem, and a year later by a Chester main Nissan dealer who again did not notice the main beam was not working! Aren't they supposed to check the aim of the lights on the second service? We pay a large amount for servicing which is mainly checks. If these are not done properly it is a waste of money. Should we be pressing for main dealers to cancel incentive schemes for their mechanics based on the number of cars serviced and replace them with incentives for completing the job properly?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Probably, but the law would say the driver needs to check car safety aspects. Having said that, main beam might not be a legal requirement. Anyone know?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Lights not working, and going unnoticed, especially headlights has got to be a driver problem end of.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Lights not working, and going unnoticed, especially headlights has got to be a driver problem end of.
To be fair, when do we ever get a chance to use high beams these days ? I could count the number of times that I've had the opportunity to use high beams in the last few months (other than flashing someone) on one hand...

Driving in well lit areas and/or areas with a steady flow of oncoming traffic just doesn't lend itself to high beam use. ;)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
To be fair, when do we ever get a chance to use high beams these days ? I could count the number of times that I've had the opportunity to use high beams in the last few months (other than flashing someone) on one hand...

Driving in well lit areas and/or areas with a steady flow of oncoming traffic just doesn't lend itself to high beam use. ;)
Every day for me (main beams)
I'm going to shamelessly hijack the thread and ask for H7 LED recommendations, for projectors. Can anybody say with recent experience that OSRAMS are better than genuine Chinese Novsights.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
It depends where you live, I can't think of many times I've driven after dark without using full beam
There's nowhere on my daily commute where I could use high beams after dark. The entire route is lit well with street lights including the motorway and even if it wasn't there is always something coming the other way or in front of me to cause me to have to dip.

The only time I would ever get to use high beams would be driving on an unlit, deserted country road at night. Can't remember the last time I did that.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Probably, but the law would say the driver needs to check car safety aspects. Having said that, main beam might not be a legal requirement. Anyone know?
I think that London taxis don't have a main beam, so it's probably not a requirement ... but
You'd fail an MOT if it wasn't working.
... I believe that if a light is fitted it must work, even if you never use it.

(A previous car I owned had front foglights which I never used and didn't want. But they were notorious for getting water inside and failing, so I was always worried about having to fix them or remove them entirely at some point just for the MoT.)

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
There's nowhere on my daily commute where I could use high beams after dark. The entire route is lit well with street lights including the motorway and even if it wasn't there is always something coming the other way or in front of me to cause me to have to dip.

The only time I would ever get to use high beams would be driving on an unlit, deserted country road at night. Can't remember the last time I did that.
Ever take a weekend trip out with your commute. There's a lot of empty in Scotland.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should like to point out that the Leaf 30kwh Tekna has very good LED dipped beams, but somewhat poor high beams which are halogens. I therefore expected the high beams to be not very good otherwise I might have checked on them earlier! I think it was particularly poor because only one was working! As far as I can remember the garages ticked the service sheet to confirm the lights were OK.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Having been born in Scotland, I can assure you that it is frequently dark
Yeah, but, we don't tend to go to the beach, to parks etc in the dark, nor do we tend to go to such places much in the winter. :)

Come on guys, look outside your own little bubbles. You personally might get a chance to use high beams regularly but some people don't. You can't use them when you're following someone, when someone is coming towards you, in the day time, and you're not supposed to use them in lit built up areas either. For some people that means almost never.

The only time I've used the high beams in my Leaf so far is when I deliberately went out on a deserted country road at 11pm at night a couple of weeks ago specifically to check the performance of the headlights before an upcoming MOT as I hadn't had a chance to use them yet.

BTW does anyone else find the low beams are adjusted a bit low on their Leaf ? Mine seem to be set too low to drive safely at anything more than about 50mph on an unlit road as they point down too much. So if you are using high beams and doing a safe country road speed and have to dip for oncoming traffic, suddenly you can't see far enough and have to slow down considerably. I don't have this issue in my other car and it still passes the headlight adjustment test in the MOT...

·
Registered
ZE50 GT Line R135 CCS, Mar '20
166 Posts
... I believe that if a light is fitted it must work, even if you never use it.
Exactly right; optional lamps don't need to be fitted but if fitted they do have to work.

In other news you possibly didn't know; high level brake lights aren't brake lights. If that's the only one of them working you have no brake lights.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Supermarkets have extensive glass for a reason. Front lights on the way in, rear lights (in the rear view mirror) on the way out, and in-between, how cool do I look driving in my car?
: o )

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
That's about right. Dip beams generally light out to about 50m and that's your approximate stopping distance at 50mph.
Why 50 metres in particular ? Headlight dip adjustment is based on downwards angle (drop per distance) so if the height of the headlights on the car varies so will the throw distance.

I've never noticed this problem to this degree on other cars though. Perhaps the cutoff of the LED dip beams is much sharper ? If so it's more dangerous as you could be driving safely at say 60-70mph on an unlit dual carriageway and have to quickly slow down as soon as you dip your headlights for that one oncoming car that comes out of nowhere. (In fact that's exactly what happened to me when I went out testing the headlights on a quiet unlit dual carriageway)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts