Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I hope to find everybody well. I am currently on my final year at the Uni and I've chosen for the dissertation topic the analysis of the electric vehicle market in UK.
If anybody can have 2 minutes to spare and fill in the survey on this link tagged.
I would much appreciate it. I just need the data to analyse on the dissertation, all the answers are anonymous and there are no personal information required in the survey.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi Luciana, just filled out yor survey, but it's obvious there are some underlying assumptions/mis-interpretations.
e.g. the question on "How long does it take to charge to 100%" isn't a sensible question - most EV owners charge overnight on a "slow" charger, which will take several hours, but "costs" very little time (a few seconds to plug in when you get home). Charging to 100% isn't something you would do on a Rapid charger (50kW+) - you would charge perhaps to 80% before continuing your journey.
There are a few other misconceptions evident in the questions. If you browse the forums you might get a bit more of an indication. I'd also recommend some of the many useful Youtube videos - Bjørn Nyland has some particularly useful and informative videos (e.g. his 1000km tests of various EVs) that contain a lot of useful information on public EV charging.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
106 Posts
Hello,

I hope to find everybody well. I am currently on my final year at the Uni and I've chosen for the dissertation topic the analysis of the electric vehicle market in UK.
If anybody can have 2 minutes to spare and fill in the survey on this link tagged.
I would much appreciate it. I just need the data to analyse on the dissertation, all the answers are anonymous and there are no personal information required in the survey.

Thank you in advance
Hi Luciana, could you give us some background information on yourself as a student. Which University do you attend, and which course are you studying?
What is your previous knowledge of electric vehicles? What other sources of information will you use for your dissertation?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Luciana, could you give us some background information on yourself as a student. Which University do you attend, and which course are you studying?
What is your previous knowledge of electric vehicles? What other sources of information will you use for your dissertation?
Hi Peter! I am studying at the Roehampton Uni of Birmingham, it’s a business management course. I was so interested in the electrical vehicles when they were more accessible on the market that I’ve tried to get as much information and raise as much awareness about the impact on our planet as possible. So I’ve used the dissertation to understand the reasoning of other people when they bought the EV. It’s interesting to understand the market segmentation, because being honest, the EV are still quite expensive. I honestly cannot afford one now, even considering the government incentive. So it’s actually a great pleasure to see why other people bought them, if they are happy with them and so on.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
One thing to bear in mind is that EV ownership is not directly linked to saving the planet. For sure, many who have stretched themselves financially did that from their personal green agenda but an equal, or greater, number are far more interested in the new tech that gives a much better driving experience as well as large running cost savings. Please don't weight your conclusions over EV ownership entirely towards a green agenda. For sure mass EV ownership will eventually show environmental benefits but that will only take place when these cars are regarded by the general population as being a viable alternative to fossil fuel cars and not from those people suddenly becoming eco-warriors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing to bear in mind is that EV ownership is not directly linked to saving the planet. For sure, many who have stretched themselves financially did that from their personal green agenda but an equal, or greater, number are far more interested in the new tech that gives a much better driving experience as well as large running cost savings. Please don't weight your conclusions over EV ownership entirely towards a green agenda. For sure mass EV ownership will eventually show environmental benefits but that will only take place when these cars are regarded by the general population as being a viable alternative to fossil fuel cars and not from those people suddenly becoming eco-warriors.
This is a very interesting feedback and I will take it into consideration, thank you

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Survey done. There's a lot more info around in these threads; you may not have considered that driving an Ev is a lot less stressing than driving Ice, something about the lack of noise is de-stressing and I certainly drive with much bigger gap between me & car in front. Also I suffer from tinnitus and hate loud noise, so the relative silence in an Ev is bliss.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Done

A couple of thoughts:
  1. Q4 Household income is probably more important than personal income
  2. Q8 I've never used a 'recharging station' except at home, so is it a meaningful question?
  3. Q15 - ditto
  4. Q17 - ditto
  5. Q18 - how long is a piece of string? How long is totally dependant on the power available. Do you mean Granny cable at 2.4kW or Rapid Charger at 43kW? 100% is only meaningful at home, as it's not worth waiting beyond 80%-ish when travelling.

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
We see this problem frequently with forum surveys or questionnaires. Usually, because the enquirer has little real experience of the nuances of EV ownership and/or charging. They would probably gain a better understanding of such things by trawling through the threads in here, going back a year or so if necessary. But such research would take time - that they aren't prepared to invest. Much quicker to create a few questions on surveymonkey and summarise the replies. That wouldn't be too accurate of course but would probably impress a supervisor whos knowledge of these issues is also scant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts