Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have done a search for similar terms but can't find this previously mentioned, please redirect me if it has and I'll delete this.

We have just taken delivery of our 1st EV and are very happy with it, one thing is a little odd though. While the car is charging, the microwave whines. I can stop this by unplugging the microwave but I'm sure that just redirects whatever is happening, and wondered if it was a sign of something that I should get checked out, or be worried about, or if it is normal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Audi eTron is particulary "noisy" on the power line as well. If you have an induction cook top you will hear the hum/whine whilst charging. The higher the charging current, the more noise.
It is because of the onboard rectifier not having sufficient electrical noise "damping". Annoying, but probably not dangerous.

Sent fra min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I had this about 30 years ago. My microwave used to buzz in time with a flashing street light outside. I had to get the consumer council to investigate, as the electricity co would not.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your replies. It's a Twingo, so I think the Zoe comment stands. I reckon I'll get used to it soon, and I guess I'll also know if the charger drops out for some reason. Haha.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Whine from electronics is most often 'coil whine' where the coil buzzes/whines at certain frequencies. If you've ever bought a cheap replacement laptop charger they're extremely prone to this. Coils that whine are usually dampened by some sort of material to stop them vibrating (sometimes just hot glue). Its possible to identify your whining coil and hot glue it to reduce the physical vibration although I wouldn't fancy trying it on a microwave

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I can get the same, as I have ferrite clips on the main wires from the meter. They can buzz quite badly if they are not tight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts