Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When relocating chargers from one house to another, can any electrician do the job or do they need to be OLEV registered?

Is it simply a case of needing the EV charger to have a dedicated MCB in the consumer unit, and notifying UK Power Networks? (there does not seem to be an option for homeowners to notify directly).

·
Registered
51 Posts
short answer im afraid .. NO , exsisting demand of the new house needs to be factored in for working out total demand and upgrading of main incoming fuse, routing of earth protective conductor to new earth spike (unless its one of the new fancy monitering jobbies) inclusion of a type a rcd in the supply to the chargepoint.. etc etc etc.. ohh..and any electrician can do the work so that should help keep the costs down..

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am sure that somebody will correct me here but I have always believed that you can make modifications to your own house without requiring any third party involvement. I often do home wiring (I am a qualified electrical engineer but not a “certified” electrician). Why would you need to notify the energy supplier or DNO? Is there something special about a wall unit rather than any other power consuming appliance?
I hasten to add, it is not a sensible thing for a DIY job and there are many risks if not done properly. It’s a job for a qualified electrician.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
short answer im afraid .. NO , exsisting demand of the new house needs to be factored in for working out total demand and upgrading of main incoming fuse, routing of earth protective conductor to new earth spike (unless its one of the new fancy monitering jobbies) inclusion of a type a rcd in the supply to the chargepoint.. etc etc etc.. ohh..and any electrician can do the work so that should help keep the costs down..
🤨

Except for the boiler, everything in my house is electric and my RCD has always occasionally tripped. I had a ChargeMaster added a few years ago. The OLEV-registered installer simply added a MCB where there was a blank in my consumer box, and a added a new cable for the charger. He was here for about 30 minutes total including paperwork. He must have reused the existing earth.

My understanding is that you are informing me that my experience is abnormal? Do installers normally need to add an extra RCD, new consumer unit, and charge a day of effort?

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Also be aware that the latest version of the regulations will apply to the new installation, so it may require additional equipment to fit.

If you are moving a unit installed with an OLEV grant within 6 months of the original claim then you need to inform OLEV.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am sure that somebody will correct me here but I have always believed that you can make modifications to your own house without requiring any third party involvement. I often do home wiring (I am a qualified electrical engineer but not a “certified” electrician). Why would you need to notify the energy supplier or DNO? Is there something special about a wall unit rather than any other power consuming appliance?
I hasten to add, it is not a sensible thing for a DIY job and there are many risks if not done properly. It’s a job for a qualified electrician.
It appears to me that UK Power Networks needs to be notified by a competent person, but the website does not clearly explain (at least to me) what that means:

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
🤨

Except for the boiler, everything in my house is electric and my RCD has always occasionally tripped. I had a ChargeMaster added a few years ago. The OLEV-registered installer simply added a MCB where there was a blank in my consumer box, and a added a new cable for the charger. He was here for about 30 minutes total including paperwork. He must have reused the existing earth.

My understanding is that you are informing me that my experience is abnormal? Do installers normally need to add an extra RCD, new consumer unit, and charge a day of effort?
The regulations have tightened considerably since that was acceptable. A separate RCD is required which may require an additional CU depending on the space available.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are moving a unit installed with an OLEV grant within 6 months of the original claim then you need to inform OLEV.
I used the OLEV grant about 3 years ago. I am moving home soon and the new house needs a rewire anyway.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I used the OLEV grant about 3 years ago. I am moving home soon and the new house needs a rewire anyway.
Be wary. I bought a new build with an EV 7kW charging point. The electrician just added a 32 amp charger to the existing garage ring main with a 32 amp RCBO that tripped each time that the EV was plugged in. Even when he came back to fix his mistake (he admitted that he had never read the section of the Regulations relating to charge points) he still didn't get it right. I have a hand written copy of an EIC for the charging point that appears never to have been filed.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
58 Posts
I moved house about 2 years ago, but have not been able to get an electrician to install my charge master charger. I managed to get an electrician to remove it from the old property for £30 :LOL: But because of new regulations and such, they don't seem to reply back or come back to me. It's wrapped up in a bin bag in the shed. Stuck charging at a rapid charger near me, using the granny charger the wife pays for the electric in the house but charges me £10 to charge up my 28kWh Ioniq :cautious: I tell her it would be about a fiver to charge up but she reckons it's more when she checks how much electric was used during the night. She reckons it would be fiver it it charges faster :LOL:

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Yes, any properly certified spark can do the work. But as above, some sparks are crap and wont do the job properly. That said, some OLEV approved fitters are also crap and wont do the job properly.

My advice for dealing with ANY trades, is do your own research, find out what should be happening, and then your better setup to know if the approach your proposed trades planning on taking is correct. The main issue is when you realise half way thru a job that hes a cowboy, things generally get awkward!

I've had various trades working on my house over the years, and i dont think theres been a single time that i've actually been fully satisfied with the work.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Stuck charging at a rapid charger near me, using the granny charger the wife pays for the electric in the house but charges me £10 to charge up my 28kWh Ioniq :cautious: I tell her it would be about a fiver to charge up but she reckons it's more when she checks how much electric was used during the night. She reckons it would be fiver it it charges faster :LOL:
eh? Does your wife also rebill you the electricity used when you have a shower? Or make a cup of tea?

·
Registered
58 Posts
eh? Does your wife also rebill you the electricity used when you have a shower? Or make a cup of tea?
To be fair, I moved into her house and she had no idea about EV's until she met me, I explained it's the same as a normal car except electricity is my fuel. So of course, she doesn't want to pay for my fuel, as I don't pay for her car's diesel 😅. The first 2kW is 30 something pence after midnight then 15p afterwards. If I get my charger master installed, I can charge in the day after the first 2kW have been used, so it doesn't use as much to her.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
While the idea of "her money" and "my money" feels somewhat alien to me, i understand that some people might want to operate that way (though i do wonder what happens when, for instance, they have children or perhaps one of them loses their job).

However thats not the only issue here. The amount it costs to charge your car is fairly well understood, and can be measured extremely easily. The "first 2kw" thing doesnt matter at all, as even if you dont charge the house will use that power over the day regardless. Its simply the standing charge that every supply has. At 15p, your 28kwh car, when completely flat, will cost at most £5 to charge. The fact your wife is a) unwilling to understand that, and b) is forcing you to waste hours of your life sat at a rapid charger down the road as a result of her intransigence, is rediculous.

Furthermore, significant savings can be found by switching your electricity supply, either to an offpeak style setup like Economy7, or something like Octopus Agile or Go.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
No, it doesnt. Dont even try to normalise it as acceptable behaviour. A marriage is a partnership. A wife that tries to bill him £10 to put £5 worth of electricity into his car, and refuses to listen to reason or contemplate simple maths, is not operating as a partner. Are you REALLY suggesting you would accept that level of rediculousness?

If you flipped the gender roles people would be crying "Abuse"...

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Strictly speaking your Wife may be breaking the law as there is a maximum resale price for electricity. Whether it is worth falling out over is another matter, particularly as you are going to resolve it by moving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sorry to have taken the topic off to another direction 😅. She has offered me to look for another supplier, with the only requirement be that the day rate is at least the same or cheaper as she uses a lot during the day for washer/dryer etc. I will have another look, but I couldn't find anything that would work out for us both last time I checked unfortunately, we are on the cheapest one we can have in our area.

We share our money pool on many things, but some things we keep separate as its easier to manage our money that way. She also drives a lot more than I do, so she says its only fair she pays for her own fuel. Things like that.

I plan to get one of these:

To find out if the granny charger does use more then £5 worth of electricity, of course I doubt but then we can try to find where the drain is in the house.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I'm sorry to have taken the topic off to another direction 😅. She has offered me to look for another supplier, with the only requirement be that the day rate is at least the same or cheaper as she uses a lot during the day for washer/dryer etc. I will have another look, but I couldn't find anything that would work out for us both last time I checked unfortunately, we are on the cheapest one we can have in our area.
Again its where you need to compromise a bit. If her washing costs 10p a day more, but you save £2 charging your car, then clearly its a win.

Have you tried Octopus Go?

Agile is also very likley to be cheaper, but she'll probably freak out at the expensive period.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
And as an additional point, you can run other household loads like the washing machine and dishwasher at night when its cheap, for further savings.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts