Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been notified by Bulb that they are increasing their prices and have also increase my direct debit. Don't agree with their figures but won't allow me to reduce it.

Since most of you here are with Octopus, I was wondering how they deal with the above.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I'm on a normal tariff with Octopus (single price, dual fuel) and can tweak the dd at will. I did override them a few months ago (IIRC they upped it from ~£95 to £102+ change and I pushed it down to a round £100 as I like tidy). I expect that if my account was significantly negative they might force a higher dd.
May be different if you are on some kind of smart tariff.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I can make out Bulb seem to want you to pay your next month's usage up front, so that your account never goes negative. I like to arrange my DD so that it clears the account . This is how it used to work

·
Registered
50 Posts
If like me you are on Economy 7 Bulb’s usage algorithm is rubbish and they are always trying to get me to increase my DD. I use ~£70 a month and their algorithm says I use over £100. Their App will not let you go too far below the algorithms estimation and so I had to contact them and show them all my usage readings to get them to lower my DD. Which they did and then refunded me the money too.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
They all try to keep you in credit these days. The time of paying quarterly in arrears is past if you want a reasonably cheap or special tariff.

When they first deregulated/allowed competition (must be decades ago now) I tried to keep to the pay in arrears principle. But over time and a number of changes of supplier I've lost it. It's not as if that money is losing me much (any) interest being in their bank instead of mine at present.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,183 Posts
If you don't like it then switch away. It's the best way to deal with ones that hike the DD on the back of spurious calculations.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I can make out Bulb seem to want you to pay your next month's usage up front, so that your account never goes negative. I like to arrange my DD so that it clears the account for the. This is how it used to work

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bulb increased my payment, and failed to rectify, now with Octopus.
Current Bulb losses are £129 m.

May go as well but will wait till the end of month. No doubt price rices will be in line with each other.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’m with bulb as well, the recent price rise has had me looking around, but everywhere seems to have gone up. bulb are still pretty much the cheapest renewable provider in my area. they were pretty good when I had to contact customer services, going to stick with them for now I think. They tried to increase my DD, but then agreed not to when I showed them my yearly pattern of use (night storage heaters over winter). If anyone want to join I’m happy to share my referral code.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Symbio just happen to be the cheapest for me, 80% off peak (E7) usage as I have a thermal storage system for heating. If they turn out to to be crap, and if there are cheaper options, I will change. I can't really see though what level of poor customer service would trump a lower price.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,188 Posts
With Ovo Energy for Electricty only ( EV Everywhere ) Fixed for 2 years and 2 years free *polar plus subscription too ( *Saving me £94.20 a year )
And you don't have to have a smart meter either.

West Yorkshire Region :
Unit rate: 14.43p/kWh
Standing charge: 25.35p/day

Gas with Zog Energy : Mercury 12 v39 ( fixed 12 months )
2.342p per kWh / 16.800p per day

1 - 20 of 37 Posts