Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
321 - 340 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
271 Posts
BT are accelerating their plans to move people to SOGEA and FTTP so they can turn off individual line voltage. Consuming 1% of the countries electricity can't be a particularly nice feeling in this climate.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
BT are accelerating their plans to move people to SOGEA and FTTP so they can turn off individual line voltage. Consuming 1% of the countries electricity can't be a particularly nice feeling in this climate.
Hmm. But surely if everyone is switched from a normal phone line to a digital one, the overall consumption will go up, won't it? Progress, eh? :)

·
Registered
ID.4 Life Pure
271 Posts
Hmm. But surely if everyone is switched from a normal phone line to a digital one, the overall consumption will go up, won't it? Progress, eh? :)
Very rare to find non cordless phones these days that are powered by the 50v so there will be very little difference on that front.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
We got switched to digital phone over copper? Presumably it saves kit in the exchange in an area where there is a lot of development. Pity we couldn’t have had fttp. Having said that we seem to get 68Mbs rock steady, down from 72 Mbs when it was first installed.

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
801 Posts
Anecdotally people are saying there companies are cutting air con and shaving power use. And of course the continued work from home during the better weather would mean savings. Lifts not in use so much and office services turned down.
Our office is pretty dead these days. I was there last Wednesday and I doubt it was above 10% occupancy. Thankfully a lot of the HVAC and lighting is automated with sensors so things switch off if a zone is empty. I’ve even noticed how quiet canary wharf is these days when I visit. Definitely a lot less use so peak usage must be down but baseload is probably unchanged unless they have energy saving tech in the buildings.

In other news, I see Hinckley B is still switching off today despite calls to keep it for another winter. A shame, but if it’s on safety grounds then you can’t really argue with that

·
Registered
94 Posts
Our office is pretty dead these days. I was there last Wednesday and I doubt it was above 10% occupancy. Thankfully a lot of the HVAC and lighting is automated with sensors so things switch off if a zone is empty. I’ve even noticed how quiet canary wharf is these days when I visit. Definitely a lot less use so peak usage must be down but baseload is probably unchanged unless they have energy saving tech in the buildings.

In other news, I see Hinckley B is still switching off today despite calls to keep it for another winter. A shame, but if it’s on safety grounds then you can’t really argue with that
It's been a bit depressing watching it wind down. Down to it's last few gasps right now (Data 08:30 - 01/08/22):
Font Circle Slope Diagram Parallel

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,425 Posts
you’d think even end of life they could extend at cost for one more winter which would seem to be useful?

Reactions: Tandy0

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
you’d think even end of life they could extend at cost for one more winter which would seem to be useful?
I think even the UK's current political class would fail to pull the wool over the country's eyes should a drastic reactor failure blemish an attempt to wring one more year out of the neutron-blasted core?

·
Registered
Leaf 24kWh
2,422 Posts
I'm sure we wouldn't be decommissioning any power plants right now if there was any other option...
Also the fact that the current UK gov are useless - they would have had to make the case to keep it going by last December when things started to look less rosy for the future of EU gas supplies.
Rather than suddenly realising that it might be worth trying to do something this summer once the plans were truly locked in.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts

In the UK, the government and the regulator are sick of it, and are now seeking to design new markets that will ensure that the low price of wind, solar and storage is not polluted by the cartel-like practices of the fossil fuel industry.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Truthfully, even if I had to pay twice as much to have truly renewable electricity, I'd do it just to know I was not giving money to big fossil fuel organisations (at least, not as much money as I normally would)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Truthfully, even if I had to pay twice as much to have truly renewable electricity, I'd do it just to know I was not giving money to big fossil fuel organisations (at least, not as much money as I normally would)
One of the problems has been that energy has been too cheap in recent years. Gas particularly.

Why would you switch to a heat pump powered by a wind turbine hundreds of miles away when gas is cheaper?

Sure the poorest have to be supported, but high FF prices and high energy prices in general accelerates the move to being more energy efficient and accelerates the deployment of RE.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
There is no point in paying more for Green energy. The generators are working to remove ff from the mix as fast as the govt has allowed them. We will get rid of ff soon. At least the Belgians are extending their use of nuclear and the Germans are bickering amongst themselves about their nuclear fleet which is apparently good for many yesrs. Even those closed last year could be restarted. What are they thinking?

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,425 Posts
the irony being renewables currently are a lot less expensive than gas and we're paying more for them because of gas prices.

Reactions: tom66
321 - 340 of 384 Posts