Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Interesting to see they’ve fired up Ratcliffe coal plant this time of year. Assuming that’s because we’re exporting rather than importing which would be the standard MO if the proverbial hadn’t hit the fan.
I can only think it is to reduce reliance on gas. The wind has dropped and likely gas is being sent to Europe!

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
731 Posts
I wondered if that might be the case. I’ve just seen that a major LNG terminal in Texas has gone down due to an explosion and will be offline for at least 3 weeks while they assess the damage. As it accounts for 20% of US LNG processing, that’s going to have an impact. Price per therm is heading up to 153 which might also help explain why the coal is online. They may expect some disruption coming down the line.

·
Registered
ID3 Life Pro - Stonewashed Blue Towbar
308 Posts
Interesting to see they’ve fired up Ratcliffe coal plant this time of year. Assuming that’s because we’re exporting rather than importing which would be the standard MO if the proverbial hadn’t hit the fan.
They ran it at 230MW for 6 hours, buggering up our coalless run of almost 40 days.

·
Registered
5,501 Posts
They ran it at 230MW for 6 hours, buggering up our coalless run of almost 40 days.
That's nothing compared with the potential output of Ratcliffe on Soar which is 2.1 GW. Perhaps just a test run to check everything is working Takes about three weeks to bring the plant up from cold to full output. Expect they are getting ready for the winter to avoid using gas for electricity. So Putin is to blame for this one.

We could be buying in coal from Europe and will export surplus electricity for as long as we can during the winter to Europe in return to help with their shortfall.

Easier to stockpile coal than gas.

Ratcliffe was the last (1968) of the big coal stations to be built and was the most efficient. It does also have some small scale CCGT generation on site as well. It has SCR on the stacks to reduce the NoX.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
The boats are still coming from Qatar! 3 in the next few days, storage of LNG is middling at 11,000 GWh, we can probably manage!

Edit each boat carries 200,000 to 250,000 m3 of LNG, 120,000,000 to 150,000,000 m3 of gas. Or 1,200 GW to 1,500 GW of heat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
@Brian G do you know what the UK's totally storage capacity actually is for Natural Gas & LNG (in GWh.)
I've got conflicting figures depending where you look & National Grid are a bit on the slow side to respond as to just how much can actually be stored of either!

I also only have current LNG levels at ~7000GWh as opposed to your 11k so i'm off somewhere.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I have just been discharged from hospital and high on morphine :D it will take ma a day or three to get my head sorted! 30 hours from knee and hip replacements to discharge. It used to be 2 weeks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have just been discharged from hospital and high on morphine :D it will take ma a day or three to get my head sorted! 30 hours from knee and hip replacements to discharge. It used to be 2 weeks!
Take care of yourself, and best wishes

Notices that we have a good drop for tomorrow, day-ahead spot prices are off 35% tomorrow from today. The heatwave ebbing and wind picking up are going to help.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Lucky you've got lane control on the MG! Take care and we look forward to some high figures from you soon...
My wife will take over the lane control for 4-5 weeks. I hope the local constabulary are taking a break so as not to spot her over-enthusiastic mode of driving, I haven’t shown her the Sport button her right foot has a compensatory action. I foresee trips to M&S Hedge End and other such destinations.. only for 4-5 weeks I tell myself, and she will be looking for bargains for our overseas grandchildren…

Hairstyle Arm Table Sleeve Chair

Me in charge of breakfast! Porridge and blueberries!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Just catching up on the weather runes etc.

Tomorrow is a fairly windy day affecting much of northern Europe too with a low wind area, a narrow zone reaching out from Lincolnshire to Hamburg.

I note the Norwegian interconnector is sending over ~ 1.1 GW. Both DC poles must be in operation so we can expect improved swapping between the 2 countries. Hot weather at this time of the year could cause a rush of snow melt with the possibility of spill. That is the discharge of water through their dams without power generation. Happily we can consume that power for them, and return the favour on windy winter nights so their dams can manage to store water at a critical time for them!

·
Registered
905 Posts
My wife will take over the lane control for 4-5 weeks. right foot has a compensatory action. I foresee trips to M&S Hedge End and other such destinations..
Hedge End.. now there's a place just off the motorway that could do with a combination of destination and rapid charging. As to Hants constabulary.. my friend in the security business has doubts they still exist..

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
731 Posts
Just catching up on the weather runes etc.

Tomorrow is a fairly windy day affecting much of northern Europe too with a low wind area, a narrow zone reaching out from Lincolnshire to Hamburg.

I note the Norwegian interconnector is sending over ~ 1.1 GW. Both DC poles must be in operation so we can expect improved swapping between the 2 countries. Hot weather at this time of the year could cause a rush of snow melt with the possibility of spill. That is the discharge of water through their dams without power generation. Happily we can consume that power for them, and return the favour on windy winter nights so their dams can manage to store water at a critical time for them!
Hope your doing well Brian and on the mend!

When I looked yesterday all our interconnectors were flooded so figured Norway were making up the deficit as we sent over power to the continent as I imagine demand for air con in the heatwave may have increased demand. Didn’t even think of snow melt and spillover. Bet California wished they had that problem right now!

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
Hope your doing well Brian and on the mend!

When I looked yesterday all our interconnectors were flooded so figured Norway were making up the deficit as we sent over power to the continent as I imagine demand for air con in the heatwave may have increased demand. Didn’t even think of snow melt and spillover. Bet California wished they had that problem right now!
Well on the mend thanks. Revision of knee implant, first one failed at 12 years old. This time round life seems much easier, they offered me epidural anaesthesia which helps quicker recovery but surgeon asked for general as well because of the length of the op. It was done last Monday a.m. and I was geared up for discharge on Tuesday evening until some claret appeared on the dressing. Discharge mid Wednesday with plenty of slow release morphine. First time round they insisted I bend it to 90 degrees and that was excrutiating, this time they seem relaxed if it is close to 90 degrees, just keep doing the exercises as best you can for 2 weeks until they look at it again! Given that it is just like dentistry on a bigger scale I should be walking on it next week with just one crutch! Hip replacement is even easier (had 2 of those already [rta in 1972] ) guys were discharged after 30 hours looking as right as rain? I know techniques are getting better but it looks like it will be day surgery soon! My first one was a 12 day stay in 1987.

And Snow Melt:
Funny how the bulk of the flow comes when it is not needed which is why Norway can be the battery for Europe. I think their generation max is about 9 GW and they have deep dams to hold water for months from the spring melt which maxes at about mid June. Dams historically would rise until September when generation would start to exceed inflow for much of the time. Now they can benefit from short term supply from excess solar PV from Germany and wind from UK with much more resilience for everyone as fickle renewables get supplemented by more reliable hydro. And Norway themselves are building floating off shore wind, there are good resources in deep water twixt Shetland and Norway. This can reduce fossil fuel use on oil rigs as well as add to the European fleet of wind turbines.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well on the mend thanks. Revision of knee implant, first one failed at 12 years old. This time round life seems much easier, they offered me epidural anaesthesia which helps quicker recovery but surgeon asked for general as well because of the length of the op. It was done last Monday a.m. and I was geared up for discharge on Tuesday evening until some claret appeared on the dressing. Discharge mid Wednesday with plenty of slow release morphine. First time round they insisted I bend it to 90 degrees and that was excrutiating, this time they seem relaxed if it is close to 90 degrees, just keep doing the exercises as best you can for 2 weeks until they look at it again! Given that it is just like dentistry on a bigger scale I should be walking on it next week with just one crutch! Hip replacement is even easier (had 2 of those already [rta in 1972] ) guys were discharged after 30 hours looking as right as rain? I know techniques are getting better but it looks like it will be day surgery soon! My first one was a 12 day stay in 1987.

And Snow Melt:
Funny how the bulk of the flow comes when it is not needed which is why Norway can be the battery for Europe. I think their generation max is about 9 GW and they have deep dams to hold water for months from the spring melt which maxes at about mid June. Dams historically would rise until September when generation would start to exceed inflow for much of the time. Now they can benefit from short term supply from excess solar PV from Germany and wind from UK with much more resilience for everyone as fickle renewables get supplemented by more reliable hydro. And Norway themselves are building floating off shore wind, there are good resources in deep water twixt Shetland and Norway. This can reduce fossil fuel use on oil rigs as well as add to the European fleet of wind turbines.
Glad to hear things are mending well.

One of the issues with using Norway is that the flows within the country are choked. You can see it in their regional prices. I don't know what the generation capacity is in the North, but there definitely isn't the infrastructure to get it all down to the South and overseas. The UK has a similar issue with Scotland and Northern England flowing South, but to a lesser extent. However, the government has insisted on a single region so the South pays less and Scotland a more that they would if it were properly regionalised.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Glad to hear things are mending well.

One of the issues with using Norway is that the flows within the country are choked. You can see it in their regional prices. I don't know what the generation capacity is in the North, but there definitely isn't the infrastructure to get it all down to the South and overseas. The UK has a similar issue with Scotland and Northern England flowing South, but to a lesser extent. However, the government has insisted on a single region so the South pays less and Scotland a more that they would if it were properly regionalised.
I am aware of a little friction on pricing in Southern Norway, I suspect they will improve their grid in time as they sell more and it becomes worthwhile to invest more. The UK grid is to have its voltage uprated to 550 and 400 up from 275 and 400. That will add 6 GW to the southbound power. It will be interesting to see if Scotland develops more heavy industry to consume it’s new power. Steel and shipbuilding, fertiliser and biofuels?

·
Registered
E-Niro 4
731 Posts
I am aware of a little friction on pricing in Southern Norway, I suspect they will improve their grid in time as they sell more and it becomes worthwhile to invest more. The UK grid is to have its voltage uprated to 550 and 400 up from 275 and 400. That will add 6 GW to the southbound power. It will be interesting to see if Scotland develops more heavy industry to consume it’s new power. Steel and shipbuilding, fertiliser and biofuels?
Amazing what voltage tweak can do to accommodate more power with similar infrastructure (I know the upgrades to transformers will be done but at least they don’t need to dig up the country or replace the cables). I bet a lot of this though is overdue as I suspect a lot of the grid is still 1960/70s in parts and I know some homes are still looped from comments on here. Well overdue for an upgrade!

Fertiliser would be a good move since they’re closing the plant the government subsidised during the price hike last year and as they’re planning on some more electrolysers up there. Wouldn’t do the U.K. any harm to be a little more self sufficient these days!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,228 Posts
Amazing what voltage tweak can do to accommodate more power with similar infrastructure
If it's really safe to run the cables at nearly twice the voltage they were on previously, I wonder why they didn't use the higher voltages from the start. Are the pylons all going to get an insulation upgrade, or are they just lowering the safety margins?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If it's really safe to run the cables at nearly twice the voltage they were on previously, I wonder why they didn't use the higher voltages from the start. Are the pylons all going to get an insulation upgrade, or are they just lowering the safety margins?
I believe the plan is substantial upgrades to the pylon arms to add insulators, vs insulation between the arms and the cables. There are some places where the gap between the cables and the pylons themselves might be too small. My recall is that the upgrade is a medium-term project, eg over several years, and not overnight.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Yep they’re upgrading the pylons so previously 132kV “supergrid” infrastructure can be upgraded to 400kV

121 - 140 of 189 Posts