Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having to change electricity suppliers after economy energy went bust, my cost has gone from10.5p to 15.75p with OVO. So i;m looking for a new suppler any recommendations?
UK average is 14.3p so looking for 12p or a near as I can get.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
A lot probably depends on whether or not you are looking for a dual rate deal (cheaper overnight but more expensive during the day) and charging overnight, or one standard rate.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There are quite a few suppliers offering deals, I would go to comparison sites like Uswith or moneysupermarket.
Citizens advise have investigate and concluded that deals on offer for EVists could not be the cheaper option.
If you can have a look at deals with economy 7 meters (or smart meters) where you will have energy at 5p for a few hours.
I'm currently with Pure Planet at 13.6p/kwh but I take advantage of the generosity of the Scottish government which provides fast charging station for free.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was in the same situation when mine was shut down by the regulator.

By default they put me with Octopus, who claim 100% renewable energy. Octopus have an overnight EV rate which gives you cheap electricity for 4 hours (almost exactly what the Ampera needs). At the time they were coming out as nearly the cheapest, and I do check sometimes that they are still a good price. I think the EV rate is a real bonus.

So at the moment my costs are

Electricity - 13.14/kWh daytime, 4.76p/kWh from 00:30 - 04:30 plus 23.81p pd standing charge

Gas - 3.01p.kWh plus 16p pd standing charge,

Both plus 5% VAT.

They have to install one of their smart meters to enable this tariff.

If you sign up using my referral we both get £50 credit, which also helps to bring down your first year cost!!

Go here to get a quote Your energy quote though I seem to recall the EV rate wasn't quoted, I had to contact them (and their customer service is usually fairly prompt)

If you decide to go with them please use my referral link Split £100 | Octopus Energy

Good luck!!

Addendum: regarding someone saying above that someone said that EV deals could not be cheaper - I have a fairly complex spreadsheet into which I plumb my actual figures and whatever they say, ti is cheaper! Do you own research! :) Of course, I now have precise data on how much fuel I use at each half hour of the day.

You get that in the bills plus they have an API with which you can write your own programs to interrogate your data directly from their servers, then manipulate it how you like, if you have the skills ( - I don't but a mate does :) )

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agree - Octopus Go perfect for Ampera charging as the 5p usage should swamp the daytime consumption and bring the average down even if day rates higher.
Note that there is some hassle around SMETS2 meter fitting at the moment but will settle in due course I hope.
See General Charging thread.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Agree - Octopus Go perfect for Ampera charging as the 5p usage should swamp the daytime consumption and bring the average down even if day rates higher.
Note that there is some hassle around SMETS2 meter fitting at the moment but will settle in due course I hope.
See General Charging thread.
Another vote for Octopus here. I'm currently on their single tariff while I wait for my smart meter install, so I'm charging during the day to make best use of our solar PV . Got an appointment for smart meter install in 2 weeks time, so will switch to the GO tariff and overnight changing at that point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
When you get the Go tariff you see your consumption on your pdf bill by each half hour of each day. So it's easy to see which nights you charged the car, and whether it's happening at the right time (I programmed the car to finish by 04:30, so when it's empty it starts at 00:30, or later if not empty).

I also have a modest number of solar panels, so right now the car is being charged for free. The Octopus smart meter monitor shows when and how much you are putting back into the grid on one of the screens, but your bill will just show zero consumption, as does the app which my mate has developed for me to interrogate my bills online.

For solar panel people they have another tariff just starting for export, but it doesn't pay much more than the deemed export amount, and you have to relinquish your existing payments, so for me it wasn't worth considering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another thumbs up for Octopus, currently on their Agile tariff that varies the price in half hour slots. The price is released the day before and the expensive time is approx 16:00 to 19:00 but most other times are cheaper than traditional tariffs. The new Ohme cable (Homepage - Ohme) is also compatible with Agile so can select the cheapest rate. Most importantly their electric is Green.

Octopus referral link for £50 :)
Split £100 | Octopus Energy

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you can use the API to extract your details then you can compare what your real usage would have cost under Agile.

I did it with mine and Agile would have been more expensive, but obviosuly that didn't take account of actually altering when I use power to optimise it. But I ted to do that anyway as I have solar panels, and the GO tariff. And also I like my evening meal at a normal time, not just when the power is a bit cheaper!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I
If you can use the API to extract your details then you can compare what your real usage would have cost under Agile.

I did it with mine and Agile would have been more expensive, but obviosuly that didn't take account of actually altering when I use power to optimise it. But I ted to do that anyway as I have solar panels, and the GO tariff. And also I like my evening meal at a normal time, not just when the power is a bit cheaper!! :)
Happy to pay extra if I can manage to start dinner before 19:00.
We charge the cars at night which is so easy on the Ampera (of course) but less so on the i3. We also schedule a few other things for the cheaper periods. Since the smart meter install I can now see what the panels produce and try to find ways to use the excess. Next on the list may have to be a battery - hate exporting and would be useful to charge the battery during cheap rates to offset higher rates although financially it is difficult to justify the expense - may be the only way I will get a Tesla though .

·
Registered
324 Posts
I believe the most common way to soak up the excess is using an Immersun or similar to divert excess to an immersion heater, thus reducing your hot water heating requirement.

But for me, although I have a hot water tank, I don't already have an immersion heater so the potential cost of that, possibly plus a new tank and the device itself, plus any fitting, far outweigh any monetary benefit.

I've only got a relatively small array (3.9 IIRC) so I only have significant excess for a fairly small window of the year.

With the smart meters coming along, I suspect the time is getting closer when you will be paid for actual fed-in power rather than the 50% deemed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree the actual feed in will come in to play in the future and probably in the form of Octopus outgoing.

It is always a balance between outlay, running costs (reduction) and feel good factor from an environmental aspect as well as having the latest gadgets .

Something already installed along with the solar when we bought our house were tubes on the roof for the hot water. During the summer they are more than enough to heat the water and previously before the smart meter our readings for gas would be questioned during the summer as we didn’t use any.

This is drifting slightly off topic and to bring it back on course I can still recommend Octopus ( Split £100 | Octopus Energy ) but will still review every six months or so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts