Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am near to closing a deal on a house purchase; an unbelievable mess..

Solicitors have arrived at the conclusion that the property includes an enclave bounded by a mix of third-parties "huh?". Physical access is via undeclared private road "free parking in London?!", and the enclave is dominated by an established oak tree "d'oh!" (the enclave is actually smaller than the tree) 😕

The house is not in a conservation area, but surveyors excluded the enclave, and HM Land Registry records contain more holes than an old moth-eaten sock (official records contradict published maps and photographic evidence).

In summary I can park an ICE there, under the tree, but what about an EV? Which difficult questions do I need to ask to ensure I can connect mains power to this "natural" carport?

Is there a law/policy/convention that can be cited to argue that electrification must be achievable? 🤔

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,056 Posts
In summary I can park an ICE there, under the tree, but what about an EV? Which difficult questions do I need to ask to ensure I can connect mains power to this "natural" carport?
If you want your paintwork destroyed over the course of the year, yeah, sure.

....At least you've got somewhere solid to mount the charge socket.....

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
In summary I can park an ICE there, under the tree, but what about an EV?
I don't understand the problem. I can't see why parking any vehicle there would be a problem if an ICE one is OK.
I assume your issue is whether you can install a charge point and associated cabling. In which case the question is why not?
Do (will) you not own the enclave and at least some land leading from your main property to it? If not, e.g. it's separate, then you would presumably have to get some sort of wayleave from other parties to allow you to make the installation.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want your paintwork destroyed over the course of the year, yeah, sure.
You mean birds and leaves? I need to measure-up but a small roof might fit...

.. as for attaching mains power to a tree, anything in regulations to be aware of? 🧐

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Do (will) you not own the enclave and at least some land leading from your main property to it? If not, e.g. it's separate, then you would presumably have to get some sort of wayleave from other parties to allow you to make the installation.
Wayleave? There we go! :)

Its land-locked by other parties, and one of them has private road running past it. I have not seen it, and maybe no living person has, but google maps shows it's under a big tree. Oh - what if its a tiny graveyard! 😱

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Its land-locked by other parties.
Then I think you would have to assume you can't get a supply to it. You might be able to negotiate a wayleave with relevant parties, but even if they agree you'd probably have to foot all the legal bills. So it could get costly, especially as the current documentation is a mess. Probably not practical/possible before closing the purchase anyway, so if it's a deal-breaker I'd walk away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts