Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car a couple of weeks now and have found this button for the engine sound generator. Yes, I know I should have familiarised myself with all the controls first, but there you go.

Anyway, what does it do? I press it, a message says sound de-activated, I drive off and no sound.

I press the button again and it says sound activated, I drive off and no sound.

What am I missing? Is there also a volume control?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Or have young ears. I hate the fake engine sound when I'm inside the car, but neither of my parents can hear it. It's just while you're going at low speed, up to about 20mph I think.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or have young ears. I hate the fake engine sound when I'm inside the car, but neither of my parents can hear it. It's just while you're going at low speed, up to about 20mph I think.
Old people can't hear it? Is that by design? 🤔

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ah. I listened out for the fake engine sound with the window open but still couldn't hear it. I guess I'm officially old! Harsh but fair.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ah. I listened out for the fake engine sound with the window open but still couldn't hear it. I guess I'm officially old! Harsh but fair.
Sorry! :oops:

You don't need to be "old" to have presbycusis. I think something like 1 in 3 folk have it by retirement age, so plenty will have it much earlier.

Dad cannot hear the fake engine noise, ever. Mum asks what's that weird noise the car is making when she's outside and thinks she can hear "something" if she listens really hard when she's inside. They're the only other folk who've been in my car with it on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find the generated sound very annoying while driving at low speeds, so almost always turn it off as soon as I get in the car. If I'm honest I can barely hear it, but there must be something about the frequency of the sound that irritates me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry! :oops:

You don't need to be "old" to have presbycusis. I think something like 1 in 3 folk have it by retirement age, so plenty will have it much earlier.

Dad cannot hear the fake engine noise, ever. Mum asks what's that weird noise the car is making when she's outside and thinks she can hear "something" if she listens really hard when she's inside. They're the only other folk who've been in my car with it on.
Wasn't there a report/study not so long ago where they discovered that younger people couldn't hear more higher pitch sounds whereas oldies could?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I find the generated sound very annoying while driving at low speeds, so almost always turn it off as soon as I get in the car. If I'm honest I can barely hear it, but there must be something about the frequency of the sound that irritates me.
I was like that with diesels!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I can hear it from inside the house when the car drives away. It is just the sound the car makes tbh, nothing that bothers me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts