Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had me Leaf since June and am coming up to my first winter. I have read in the manual that the electronic parking brake should not be used in cold weather. My drive has a slight slope, a gravel surface and no kerb. I am not sure the surface will allow me to place a functional block under the wheels. Has anyone had any experience with the electronic brake in UK winter? The manual suggests I could end up with brakes frozen on.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
The possibility of a handbrake freezing on in winter exists for any car regardless of whether the handbrake mechanism is operated by a lever and cable or an electric motor (aka electronic). If anything, the electric variety might be worse as they tend to apply the brakes harder than a normal manually applied handbrake.

Does you drive slope towards the road or away from the road? Obviously your safety choke needs to reflect the above. If the slope is away from the road, you could use a semi permanent chock but keep in mind that often the best way if freeing a handbrake is to reverse up a meter or so.

Probably your best bet is to get the brakes services before the winter: that means removing the brake pads, cleaning out rust and dust and greasing all the sliding surfaces with the proper lube. That will at least reduce the chance of the sliding surfaces sticking. The other thing I have done during the last few winters is tape up the cooling holes in the wheel rims to reduce driven rain and brine rusting the disc surface. This itself reduces the chance of freezing overnight.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My drive is quiet sloped too and never had an issue with the electric brake on this my 40 or the QQ before that. That said I try to park on the flat bit of the drive and just leave it in park if I’m going to be away. Can be hazardous as she who must be obeyed managed to wipe out my Leaf as she reversed of the drive 🙈

1 - 4 of 4 Posts