Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Elmo Drive is about to do their soft launch. I signed up for their trial and am waiting for a bit more information to be released until I decide whether to go through with it. It would be my first EV, so it would be good to get some discussion going. There has already been some discussion on the Evezy thread, but thought it would be better to start a new one for Elmo.

The info I received on the soft launch is:
  • It’s a 12-month subscription of £250 pm, which includes maintenance, servicing, road tax (which is free!), breakdown cover and a carbon offset fee
  • The car is a 17 reg Nissan Leaf 30KW, Tekna or Acenta
  • They offer fleet insurance for £90 pm extra, but will allow users to arrange their own insurance
  • An easee charge point would be £100 one off plus £30 per month
  • You can join their energy partner, So Energy, and pay for electricity as part of the subscription
  • You can join the Polar Plus network for £10pm
Did anyone get more information? Is anyone going ahead with this? I’m not sure the price is actually worth it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well - I got my 17 Reg Tekna 30 6.6kW rectifier for £199 + 249 per month back in 17. So, I suppose if you add a service each year (£200) which gives you the breakdown cover, then this looks like a poor deal for a 3 year old outdated model. You can lease a new Accenta 40 for £178 per month for a 2 year deal. So this deal is rubbish.

·
Registered
147 Posts
sorry - got the lease wrong. Comes out at about £260 month over a 2 year lease, apportioning the down payment and admin charge on a monthly basis. Elmo still a rubbish deal, unless you want a very short contract.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi all,

Elmo Drive is about to do their soft launch. I signed up for their trial and am waiting for a bit more information to be released until I decide whether to go through with it. It would be my first EV, so it would be good to get some discussion going. There has already been some discussion on the Evezy thread, but thought it would be better to start a new one for Elmo.

The info I received on the soft launch is:
  • It’s a 12-month subscription of £250 pm, which includes maintenance, servicing, road tax (which is free!), breakdown cover and a carbon offset fee
  • The car is a 17 reg Nissan Leaf 30KW, Tekna or Acenta
  • They offer fleet insurance for £90 pm extra, but will allow users to arrange their own insurance
  • An easee charge point would be £100 one off plus £30 per month
  • You can join their energy partner, So Energy, and pay for electricity as part of the subscription
  • You can join the Polar Plus network for £10pm
Did anyone get more information? Is anyone going ahead with this? I’m not sure the price is actually worth it?
That's pretty much the same info I had.
I'm in two minds. I was looking to buy a Leaf but haven't come across the right one so this probably would have been temporary but it does seem a bit expensive though

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The Elmo website has been updated and shows ’cars’ ... the 30kW Leaf...
One cars available...
from 1st April 2020 :rolleyes:
The Leaf is shown as being owned by...
Owner:
PCO Rentals, London
Hyde House, Hounslow TW3 1SS, UK

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I originally thought the price included a lot more. It is the cheapest way to get into EV at the moment though. But as you say, a new leaf isn’t that much more expensive and you get a better range.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're planning to keep for more than a few months, there are cheaper options . Also check small print carefully for any de-installation charges and/or minimum term.
I wonder why they chose easee. They said it costs over £700 and after a year you can keep it by paying the difference, or after two years it’s yours. Much more expensive than pod point and the like.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I wonder why they chose easee. They said it costs over £700 and after a year you can keep it by paying the difference, or after two years it’s yours. Much more expensive than pod point and the like.
Elmo seem to be saying they will be offering everything in one package...
In a word, everything! We are the world’s first platform to offer ‘Total Cost of Ownership’ (TCO) subscriptions. This means that included in the monthly price of your vehicle, you also get insurance, maintenance, servicing, breakdown, road tax, public charging, home charge point and installation, carbon offset – and even the energy (renewable, of course!) required to run the vehicle. You’ll only make one payment each month to use the car, and nothing more.

But clearly they are not the worlds first, Evezy came to market a long time ago.
They then go on to say about adding packages naming the ones listed above!

There are much cheaper options for charging at home. Look at Ohme and Octopus for a great smart deal. And a lot of people ignore the grant and just get a sparky to wire in a commando socket for very little outlay Which is the smart thing to do if you do not have solar or battery storage.

It also seems odd they are locking the trial users into a year subscription when they claim to be doing monthly minimum and other options.

Reactions: EE665

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,179 Posts
It’s a 12-month subscription of £250 pm, which includes maintenance, servicing, road tax (which is free!), breakdown cover and a carbon offset fee
My daughter was renting a Zoe on a similar deal For £199 a month. Everything was fine, for about 2 years, until the company went bust just as she got a new job with a 30 mile commute. I said at the beginning that the company were being too optimistic with the rental. It wouldn't last. I'm not saying don't go for it (my daughter wasn't out of pocket, but seriously inconvenienced). It's a reasonably inexpensive way of getting into an EV.
An easee charge point would be £100 one off plus £30 per month
That's £460. Even though you're renting/leasing, if this is your first EV, you're entitled for a charger grant. The cost of fitting a charger should be nowhere near this. I should investigate this and try to get this charge removed. Also, what happens to the £10 a month when the rental/lease ends. Will you have to continue paying, Do you keep the charge point anyway or will they come and take it off the wall? Hmmm?
You can join the Polar Plus network for £10pm
PolarPlus subscription is £7.85 monthly. You're being taken for a ride here. Can you really trust them?

·
Registered
108 Posts
My daughter was renting a Zoe on a similar deal For £199 a month. Everything was fine, for about 2 years, until the company went bust just as she got a new job with a 30 mile commute. I said at the beginning that the company were being too optimistic with the rental. It wouldn't last. I'm not saying don't go for it (my daughter wasn't out of pocket, but seriously inconvenienced). It's a reasonably inexpensive way of getting into an EV.

That's £460. Even though you're renting/leasing, if this is your first EV, you're entitled for a charger grant. The cost of fitting a charger should be nowhere near this. I should investigate this and try to get this charge removed. Also, what happens to the £10 a month when the rental/lease ends. Will you have to continue paying, Do you keep the charge point anyway or will they come and take it off the wall? Hmmm?

PolarPlus subscription is £7.85 monthly. You're being taken for a ride here. Can you really trust them?

I would be just looking to rent the car and get the charger through the grant
Wouldn't bother with PolarPlus as well

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Evezy still looks a far better option than Elmo and they are already established with a large number of subscribers and hundreds of brand new cars being delivered every month from now onwards. They will also have 4 new models to choose from next month.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,179 Posts
I would be just looking to rent the car and get the charger through the grant
Wouldn't bother with PolarPlus as well
Agree, Polar isn't strictly necessary if you're not making several long journeys a month. Most people can get by with just home charging.

I had OVO's EV tariff for a couple of years which included the Polar subscription. That was really convenient, but the tariff was a little high. I've shifted to OctopusGo now so haven't had the subscription since October. I'm going re-activate the card in a couple of months and have it running until winter starts as we do a lot of day trips, doing almost 2/3 of our 10,000 miles between April and October.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts