Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like Tesla are looking seriously at making a cheaper and small version of the 3/Y:

Clearly Tesla are seeing the success of the Zoe and other compact cars in Europe where there could be huge potential.

If they reuse M3 hardware and software they could have something designed and in production by 2022...

Tesla Model 2 for €30,000 anyone?

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Please let it be a fun 2 (or 3) seater!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, but we all know it will be €35,000 by the time it hits the road.

Plus there will be about 1.5m pre-orders, and all the hype all over again.

Will somebody please make it stop...
Oh, I know. He'll probably shift every last one of those pre-orders as well.

Someone needs to stop him dreaming up these things and just stick to the Cybertruck!

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Yes, but we all know it will be €35,000 by the time it hits the road.

Plus there will be about 1.5m pre-orders, and all the hype all over again.

Will somebody please make it stop...
Coming from a supporter of VW over the iD3 that's a bit pot and kettle!

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,232 Posts
A 2 seater car with a decent boot would be good. I think a lot of folk would prefer extra boot space to rear seats that only an amputee would fit in.

Teslas are too big for a lot of people. . I think the Leaf at 4.4 metres long and 1.8 wide is an ideal size. You can seat 4 or 5 and the boot isn't tiny. It's also not so massively wide you can't get in and out easily in standard sized parking spaces.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,332 Posts
Oh, I know. He'll probably shift every last one of those pre-orders as well.

Someone needs to stop him dreaming up these things and just stick to the Cybertruck!
Spoken like a true Tesla disciple.

Just so you know, I wasn’t actually having a go, I’m just sick of the same cycle of ‘announce product, pre-order product, hype product, hand wring over the price & spec, moan about how long it’s taking’, and then onto the next one from all manufacturers.

The M3 missed its price point though didn’t it?

Coming from a supporter of VW over the iD3 that's a bit pot and kettle!
Im a VW owner, not a VW ‘supporter’, I’m as critical as anybody towards them, but they also get a lot of grief when they’ve done nothing different regarding EV launches than anybody else.

In fact, they’ve been making and selling EVs in numbers whilst everybody else was still just talking about it.

They’ve invested £8Bn so far in EVs, what’s not to like?

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
In fact, they’ve been making and selling EVs in numbers whilst everybody else was still just talking about it.

They’ve invested £8Bn so far in EVs, what’s not to like?
I'd agree that their commitment to EVs is probably the best of the legacy manufacturers in recent years. However they have made promises about low cost versions of a model that have yet to be delivered, and for which there has been considerable hype. I look forward to the £25,000 iD3 which I'd buy in preference to a Tesla concept.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,332 Posts
I'd agree that their commitment to EVs is probably the best of the legacy manufacturers in recent years. However they have made promises about low cost versions of a model that have yet to be delivered, and for which there has been considerable hype. I look forward to the £25,000 iD3 which I'd buy in preference to a Tesla concept.
It‘s hard to keep track of what promised launch prices were versus what they actually came out at, but it seems to me that most seem to overshoot the target price by some margin.

If Tesla can push out something attractive with the range and at that price, then it would be mad for people not to be interested in it.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Tesla never really sold the $35,000 M3 so I doubt that we'd see a 30,000 Euro "M2" even in the current low tax German environment. I'd love to be proven wrong.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,332 Posts
Scratchy plastics are the new eco thing, does the M3 not have any at all?

I thought I’d seen everything with my i3 recycled ‘dash plank’, that was scratchy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Or he could just get rid of the monkeys that are ruining any credibility he may still have.
Then install some QC,
Finally don’t treat customers with contempt (‘it’s within tolerance’) when they complain something isn’t right.

Failing that just stick to what they do best and supply their parts to manufacturer’s who knowhow to build a car.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Scratchy plastics are the new eco thing, does the M3 not have any at all?

I thought I’d seen everything with my i3 recycled ‘dash plank’, that was scratchy.
Tesla skimp on paint to save the environment, I thought you knew that?

They also have larger panel gaps to save weight and resources.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts