Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
A couple of things:
  • VW already is paying for the SC network (that can be in the USA only);
VW are paying for the Electrify America, Electrify Canada and paying towards the Ionity charging networks, and paying towards the Tesco/Podpoint ones in the UK.
Some of those are co-sited with Tesla superchargers, so yes, some site construction work and paying for grid supplies could be shared between the parties involved.

Nissan/Renault paid for much of the initial hardware used for the Ecotricity Electric Highway, until CCS was invented. They couldn't sell many cars without a nationwide charging network.

So, it's not unusual in any way for vehicle manufacturers to (part-) fund the installation of charging networks, and it's not unusual for some locations to have chargepoints from multiple charging networks.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
VW are paying for the Electrify America, Electrify Canada and paying towards the Ionity charging networks, and paying towards the Tesco/Podpoint ones in the UK.
Some of those are co-sited with Tesla superchargers, so yes, some site construction work and paying for grid supplies could be shared between the parties involved.

Nissan/Renault paid for much of the initial hardware used for the Ecotricity Electric Highway, until CCS was invented. They couldn't sell many cars without a nationwide charging network.

So, it's not unusual in any way for vehicle manufacturers to (part-) fund the installation of charging networks, and it's not unusual for some locations to have chargepoints from multiple charging networks.
I think the VW thing is unusual though, as I believe it’s being paid for via the huge fines levied on them for dieselgate?

Otherwise, I don’t think they’d be choosing to spend the sums they are on charging just yet.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,147 Posts
Happy to pay £1 / kWh, if I'm stuck I'm stuck and I'd rather feel the pain in my wallet than on the hard shoulder. But as I now no longer trust MSAs I tend to use more scenic routes and use Instavolt or Osprey where possible.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Happy to pay £1 / kWh, if I'm stuck I'm stuck and I'd rather feel the pain in my wallet than on the hard shoulder. But as I now no longer trust MSAs I tend to use more scenic routes and use Instavolt or Osprey where possible.

I'm the same, but a large part of that is because most of the time I don't use public charging, as we're fortunate enough to be able to charge both cars at home. I would guess that for those with no off-street parking, or home charging, the price of public charging is going to be far more important.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,147 Posts
I'm the same, but a large part of that is because most of the time I don't use public charging, as we're fortunate enough to be able to charge both cars at home. I would guess that for those with no off-street parking, or home charging, the price of public charging is going to be far more important.
I believe Superchargers are more en-route chargers than ones you would use because they are near your house.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I believe Superchargers are more en-route chargers than ones you would use because they are near your house.

A fair few local Tesla owners regularly use the ones in Amesbury. Close to the town and no need to get on to the busy A303 to get to them, with a big housing estate practically next to them. Not sure about other locations, but there are quite a few superchargers located in places like hotel car parks, close to the centre of towns, so they may not be as en-route focussed as some of the other rapid chargers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The ‘plebs’?

How to win friends and influence people! 😂
It's an internet meme term meaning having paid for benefits above those of a lower social-economic scale to you, as it meant in Roman times. Those that pay £2k+ p/a for a Golf membership dont want "plebs" allowed to pay £5 for 18 holes on a summer twilight round in ripped jeans and sleeveless t-shirts, and bad golf skills. Shoppers at Waitrose vs shoppers at Lidl , paying a huge premium for every member of the family to have a Q-bot at Legoland / Alton Towers , etc etc. Tesla's are not cheap and have a fantastic charging system moat keeping them always available for their owners, therefore, they are not for plebs (everyone else).

·
Leaf lover
4,831 Posts
Years back here on speakev the discussions were very much about not being able to see a workable stand alone business model for en route charging. Has that changed? I don't know but for Tesla it is very much part of their business model giving customers support and assurance that they are doing the right thing going electric. That is something that must still be a big issue amongst people thinking of buying an ev but not stretching to a Tesla.
Tesla dominate in ev sales and they could be looking to dominate charging infrastructure and whilst it could look to some as a negative move for Tesla owners it might be the exact opposite because free charging might be back on the cards for us.
Either way this adds further pressure on the legacy auto makers and not much joy to the myriad of charging companies.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,634 Posts
I think the VW thing is unusual though, as I believe it’s being paid for via the huge fines levied on them for dieselgate?
Yes, huge part of the settlement money in US, was spent on charging infrastructure, including SC.

Which to me is public money, spent on developing a private and closed network! I'll refer you to the Tesla's application for public funding in Norway.

Now, on the question of timing. There is a reason why Tesla are ready to "give up" their biggest advantage over all other OEMs. It is not clear what it is, but it is hugely unpopular with their current customers.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,526 Posts
There is a reason why Tesla are ready to "give up" their biggest advantage over all other OEMs. It is not clear what it is, but it is hugely unpopular with their current customers.
Do you need reminding of their mission statement?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,634 Posts
Do you need reminding of their mission statement?
Yes, please. Tell me where does in their mission statement state: I'll withhold access to Charging, until such time that I deem it necessary, to share it with others.

Or where does it state, that I will sell my co2 credits for hard cash. ( You do understand that for all intents, Tesla has the co2 fleet emissions of the cartel that they signed up with? Stelantis? They were the worst in EU last year)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,526 Posts
"Tesla's mission is to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy."

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,526 Posts
Yes, please. Tell me where does in their mission statement state: I'll withhold access to Charing, until such time that I deem it necessary, to share it with others.

Or where does it state, that I will sell my co2 credits for hard cash. ( You do understand that for all intents, Tesla has the co2 fleet emissions of the cartel that they signed up with? Stelantis? They were the worst in EU last year)
My, my. That is a really big chip on your shoulder.

Can you show me on this doll where Uncle Elon hurt you?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,634 Posts
My, my. That is a really big chip on your shoulder.

Can you show me on this doll where Uncle Elon hurt you?
@cah197... What's wrong? When you can't say anything smart, you resort to thinly veiled sexual innuendo? I notice you do that quite often?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,853 Posts
It's an internet meme term meaning having paid for benefits above those of a lower social-economic scale to you, as it meant in Roman times. Those that pay £2k+ p/a for a Golf membership dont want "plebs" allowed to pay £5 for 18 holes on a summer twilight round in ripped jeans and sleeveless t-shirts, and bad golf skills. Shoppers at Waitrose vs shoppers at Lidl , paying a huge premium for every member of the family to have a Q-bot at Legoland / Alton Towers , etc etc. Tesla's are not cheap and have a fantastic charging system moat keeping them always available for their owners, therefore, they are not for plebs (everyone else).
I know what it means, thank you.

It’s more that you choose to use it to describe a whole raft of people who don’t drive Tesla’s. 🤷

But, bless you that you think Tesla are a premium product that somehow elevates you above others merely by ownership.

You’ve painted a beautiful self portrait for us though.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Not sure how I feel about this. Exclusive access to the SC was one of the key reasons I bought the Tesla. Just back from a trip today and there was a queue of 5 Tesla trying to charge at scotch corner when I was there. This would clearly not work if other makes also start using the SC.

·
Super Moderator
7,504 Posts
Not sure how I feel about this. Exclusive access to the SC was one of the key reasons I bought the Tesla. Just back from a trip today and there was a queue of 5 Tesla trying to charge at scotch corner when I was there. This would clearly not work if other makes also start using the SC.
Doesn't sound like it's working now, either!

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well, I did get the last charger, but you are right - not working for the five souls who arrived after me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
There seem to be some obvious difficulties with this,
1) You will need a Tesla account as I don't think superchargers have any type of card reader.
2) Your car will need to be able to communicate with the supercharger, is this going to be a software update or extra hardware, this isn't going to happen on the car you have already bought
3) re the coment aboyut leaving a PHEV on it for 4 hours apart from the lack of a CCS some people are going to get a nasty shock when they see the overstay charges.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts