Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The new Tesla Model S P85D features are mind blowing. Here is a summary from twitter

• Tesla’s newest car is AWD and goes 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
  • If you have your calendar turned on, the car will meet you there!
  • You can summon the car and it will make its way to you.
  • Self parking! You can get out of your car and it will go park itself in your garage.
A news article: http://www.slashgear.com/tesla-model-s-d-adds-awd-self-driving-auto-pilot-09350117/

A video from test drives during the D event: I measured the 0-60 time in the video at 3.28 seconds.

Twitter messages during the D event: https://twitter.com/search?q=#elonsd&src=typd

Update: Tesla's website was offline for two hours. It just turned live at 6am UK time with the Autopilot and Dual Motor features.

Update: You can watch the D event on Tesla's Youtube channel:

Update: Elon talks about new features:
http://www.usatoday.com/videos/money/cars/2014/10/10/17018481/

Update: Bloomberg has a new video:

Update: Best P85D test drive video I can find:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
this is very exciting!! 4WD right across the range, i thought its going to be an extra model added to the range.

Or are they still keeping the 2wd models?

I am wondering how much extra its going to be? £10k?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Update: Tesla's website was offline for two hours. It just turned live at 6am UK time with the Autopilot and Dual Motor features.
...yes but I can't even configure anything on it though?? Hopefully we going to see the cost today.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Damn Tesla, ok i want one now. Saleen specced of course.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
I wonder if this one will get around the Nurburgring without overheating?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
So I guess the battery will just degrade twice as fast now.... a solid warranty would be more important to most potential owners and IMO Tesla should address this issue before the German OEMs take away the reliability prize...

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
So I guess the battery will just degrade twice as fast now.... a solid warranty would be more important to most potential owners and IMO Tesla should address this issue before the German OEMs take away the reliability prize...
Agreed, but i still want one. Call it Apple blindness lol.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
On the Tesla website it simply states:

Model S comes standard with a forward looking camera, radar, and 360-degree ultrasonic sensors that actively monitor the surrounding roadway. Progressive software updates over time will enable sophisticated convenience and safety features that use these sensors to respond to real world conditions. These features will ultimately give Model S Autopilot capability on the highway from on-ramp to off-ramp.
So at some point in the future (not specified?) it will be able to take the reins on the motorway/freeway.

That's not as impressive as I had been lead to believe by the media coverage. :cool:

·
1,555 Posts
The car is awesome. I sat in the front passenger seat and will be uploading my video to the Internet later today.

It' plenty fast. And the autopilot is pretty impressive.

One can order the S as a single or dual drive option. The dual drive is even more efficient, so at 85kWh Standard can go as high as 295 miles range

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Its interesting that the 4wd will cost extra around $4000 more for the lesser model, but $15k more for the P85 !!

It would probably means the same here, but in sterling :(

·
Registered
616 Posts
On the Tesla website it simply states:

So at some point in the future (not specified?) it will be able to take the reins on the motorway/freeway.

That's not as impressive as I had been lead to believe by the media coverage. :cool:
I guess this will be more down to legislative issues, if the car is equipped with the right 'hardware' from the outset, then the 'software' issues can be ground out at a later date, call it future proofing I guess.

·
1,555 Posts
Its interesting that the 4wd will cost extra around $4000 more for the lesser model, but $15k more for the P85 !!

It would probably means the same here, but in sterling :(
The front wheel motors are different between the D60/D85 than the P85D

It also is why the ideal range for the D85 is 295 miles vs. S85 at 265 miles.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Why will it degrade twice as fast? The D seems to be more efficient that the standard version.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
They have increased the top speed to 155mph on the 85 models, so I guess they must have worked on the cooling system so that it can run at that speed with the only restriction being battery capacity. Wonder what the range is at that speed, and if a fully-charged P85D will make it at least once around the 'ring without hitting restrictions.

·
1,555 Posts
Good night... 1/3 of the way to uploading my pictures and videos... Will catch up later today.

Here is the flickr stream from the event.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts