1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
616 Posts
Read this the other week, sounds like a great plan only issue is that it's a bit 'California' biassed so may need to get the rest of the world to agree first! o_O It makes far more sense than fudging the cars to try and effect a 'repair'. Gives VW a bit of a get out clause but doesn't really address the millions of customers that feel they need compensation for all their woes. **

** I am one of those customers and don't feel that compensation is due, more concerned that the fix will be a fudge of some sort that will affect performance / economy. Though initial communications from VW have indicated that this wouldn't be the case.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Isn't the whole dieselgate thing already starting to fade away? it is too massive to do otherwise.
I think it's probably in a lull whilst VW work out how to handle it, how to fix the cars and for all the class actions to gather themselves together, I'm expecting lots of "were you affected by dieselgate? We can help, no win no fee call 0800 blah blah blah..." communications over the coming months.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Isn't the whole dieselgate thing already starting to fade away? it is too massive to do otherwise.
Think it is. It doesn't seem to be making a difference with sales.

Went with my mum on a wet, windy Saturday mid December to look at a new Polo or A1 for her and both the VW and Audi dealership were very busy.

Both sales guys I spoke to noted that sales took an initial dip with people hesitating with placing an order when diesel gate was at its height in the media. Seems have got ovee it from what I saw that Saturday. VAG make some excellent cars with tons of showroom / curb appeal and I guess that's what drives a purchase decision for many people.

Contrast that to my local Renault dealer which was very quiet. Quite hard to persuade my mum that the ZOE is worth a consideration when the impression is no one is buying Renault lol :ROFLMAO:

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,204 Posts
I can't say it is particularly an 'innovative' idea. C'mon! Certainly a showman's idea. Showboat it, Elon, baby!!

I think they should be fined into the ground, or told to get the hell out of California forever. I'd change the law (before VW are actually in court) that any company convicted of cheating on emissions testing is thereafter banned from selling ICE cars. Then I'd convict them. They can then stick to EVs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Of course it makes sense for a sales guy to do that. Accept the issues, get buy on, and convince purchaser market is on the up... Same In property...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
VW already has a reasonable EV lineup. You can't make some company sell something they already have on offer by telling them to. Although I'm sure they'd be happy if the e-golf was to catch up with the Leaf in number or even value of sales.

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
VW already has a reasonable EV lineup. You can't make some company sell something they already have on offer by telling them to. Although I'm sure they'd be happy if the e-golf was to catch up with the Leaf in number or even value of sales.
Actually it has done more than that in several countries -- just not in the UK, where the antediluvian retailer network seems to be actively sabotaging sales.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I haven't tried them on that, so can't say. Audi were quite happy to shift an e-tron even though they had to wait 6 months for the full payment.

Surprisingly, it's when I went to visit Nissan (the Western Avenue one) that the guy ignored what I wanted to test drive and got me into a diesel Qashqai insisting how good a deal he could give me on that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
This is what I was thinking as well (and I think it mentioned it somewhere, either here or elsewhere). I think it's a good solution thats decidedly positive in that it makes an actual imrpovement, rather than just putting things back as they would have been. It is also tough love, in that by forcing VW to take electrics seriously and effectively forcing to invest in electrification, you are actually making the group stronger in the long term, rather than just watching the company stupid itself to death, and giving it the rope to do so.

The only points I disagree with The Elon on, are the zero emission credits and California based investment. It seems a very CA-centric view of a global problem. VW sold far more diesels in the EU than it did in CA, so focusing solely on that is pointless. The problem began in Wolfsburg, and that's where the solution also lies. If California decides to go down this road and no one else does, VW will simply pull out the CA market, rather than try to reform.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Think it is. It doesn't seem to be making a difference with sales.

Went with my mum on a wet, windy Saturday mid December to look at a new Polo or A1 for her and both the VW and Audi dealership were very busy.

Both sales guys I spoke to noted that sales took an initial dip with people hesitating with placing an order when diesel gate was at its height in the media. Seems have got ovee it from what I saw that Saturday. VAG make some excellent cars with tons of showroom / curb appeal and I guess that's what drives a purchase decision for many people.

Contrast that to my local Renault dealer which was very quiet. Quite hard to persuade my mum that the ZOE is worth a consideration when the impression is no one is buying Renault lol :ROFLMAO:
The sales guy said sales are great eh? :)

VW sales drop 20% in UK as diesel emissions scandal hits carmaker

Volkswagen sales fall 20% in the UK - BBC News

·
Registered
249 Posts

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,214 Posts
Lol. I did wonder...Audi I kind of believed but not VW. Usual salesman BS.

However something was going on as it was super busy. I note there are some good offers on VW finance contributions currently, more than I have very seen. Obviously feeling some pain.
Yeah but pre-dieselgate it would have been really super busy, not just super busy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts