Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am growing increasingly concerned about the number of times the Emergency Braking has activated when completely unnecessary. This is the Red/White warning triangle alert in middle of dashboard without the earlier yellow "closing quickly" warning - although that also occasionally triggers for no apparent reason too. This is not with ProPilot on - feels completely different when that brakes and there is no alert. This is the UK Tekna model so has the pedestrian detection too.

It happens roughly once every couple of weeks. I am struggling to work out the conditions that activate it. It has happened on a country lane with no other cars around on a slight right bend, but seems to happen most often when a car has turned left from in front of us into a side road (with plenty of room) or when overtaking (that is seriously disconcerting) or if going through a gap between two cars, for example one waiting to turn right across our lane and another waiting to come out of a sideroad.

My "feeling" is it is overly sensitive to vehicles/objects to the left of the car (UK - so we drive on left and overtake to right)

I mentioned to dealer last time car went in for a fault (about a month ago) and they said nothing wrong other than the fault they fixed (ICAN earth connection?)

Does this feel/sound familiar to anyone - I am guessing my 5th visit to the dealer in 3 months coming up :-(

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,235 Posts
Seems to be a common fault with the new leaf. Probably a front radar detector. Keep on at the dealer. There have been several people that have noticed it with a varying level of misbehaviour.

If it happens under circumstances that could cause an accident then I'd report it to the DVSA too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine is unduly sensitive when closing up on slow/stationery vehicles in front, pulling out to overtake and sometimes going through gaps between vehicles turning left where there's an oncoming vehicle turning right. It can also get twitchy with pedestrians standing in the road looking to cross. I probably get two or three false alarms on each 2.5 hour journey which is my commute into the office. I have now got into the habit of disengaging the emergency brake at the start of each journey and would like to find a way of setting it to off as the default. I have another vehicle for long distances and that emergency brake has never activated since I've had it, covering similar mileage as the Leaf (5k miles since May). I'm a little concerned about insurer's views should I rear-end someone with the emergency brake set off, however.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Mine is unduly sensitive when closing up on slow/stationery vehicles in front, pulling out to overtake and sometimes going through gaps between vehicles turning left where there's an oncoming vehicle turning right. It can also get twitchy with pedestrians standing in the road looking to cross. I probably get two or three false alarms on each 2.5 hour journey which is my commute into the office. I have now got into the habit of disengaging the emergency brake at the start of each journey and would like to find a way of setting it to off as the default. I have another vehicle for long distances and that emergency brake has never activated since I've had it, covering similar mileage as the Leaf (5k miles since May). I'm a little concerned about insurer's views should I rear-end someone with the emergency brake set off, however.

I got a bit confused reading this as your car is listed as zoe. Is the Zoe the long distance car to which you refer?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Seems to be a common fault with the new leaf. Probably a front radar detector. Keep on at the dealer. There have been several people that have noticed it with a varying level of misbehaviour.

If it happens under circumstances that could cause an accident then I'd report it to the DVSA too.
Difficult to distinguish between fault and drawbacks of what is a newish system for the LEAF anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Zoe was from last year, now gone (long story) and replaced by the Leaf in May this year. I have a Jaguar for long journeys. I've had trouble updating my profile on this forum including the picture of my Zoe. I was hoping nobody would notice.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The Zoe was from last year, now gone (long story) and replaced by the Leaf in May this year. I have a Jaguar for long journeys. I've had trouble updating my profile on this forum including the picture of my Zoe. I was hoping nobody would notice.

Am I missing something here? It seems to me you click on your name next to inbox at the top of the page and select a different vehicle. Now I twig that you are using Taptalk that may be the reason.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've checked my Tapatalk profile and my update is showing there including a picture of my Leaf, but confusingly when I post all my old details come back. I do apologise and will persevere.

·
Registered
78 Posts
T
Difficult to distinguish between fault and drawbacks of what is a newish system for the LEAF anyway.
This is NOT new technology. I still additionally own a 2013 Golf GTi with adaptive cruise and autonomous braking, and the “smartness” of its operation is so much better than the LEAF. I often find on bends it “loses” the vehicle ahead and accelerates alarmingly until it “sees” the car ahead again, whilst throwing up amber warnings on twisting roads where there no vehicles in front of me.

A little disappointing TBH as nearly 5 years separate the production dates of these vehicles.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My Leaf 40 also suffers from this design flaw/ fault also. It was more prevalent when I first got the car - have now completed 1200 miles and the issue seemed to resolve for a while although has reoccured again recently. I convinced myself there was debris on the front sensors but have been keeping a check to ensure no insects etc obstructing the sensor although the issue seems to be persisting. I'm reluctant to hand over car to dealer for few days only to hear back no fault found - and reading above posts it may just be characteristics of a design flaw to the car. Does anyone know are the sensors the 4no to the front bumper only or is there a further 'radar sensor' that we cannot see behind the bumper? Cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have had the red flashing triangle coming on nearly every trip which i put down to the over sensitive computer thinking i am too close (which i might be for a computer but not for rush hour london driving)

there has been 2 occasions where the car has almost stood on its nose where i was going to brake a bit harder than normal but definitely not an emergency stop - apart from being a bit embarrassing it does worry me that some could then hit me up the back.

I have contemplated turn off the assistance but i think it would invalidate the insurance or at the very least give them a argument for not covering an accident.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I've checked my Tapatalk profile and my update is showing there including a picture of my Leaf, but confusingly when I post all my old details come back. I do apologise and will persevere.
Tapatalk is only a conduit to the SpeakEV forum, do it on the SpeakEV website as the Tapatalk profile doesn't apply here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can find little technical information online about my LEAF, but I expect the distance radar (lidar???) sensor is “hidden” in an area near to the Nissan logo.

It is a large visible piece placed low on the front of my 2013 Golf, but the Mk7.5 Golfs now have this located higher and behind the VW logo and can’t be seen anymore.

I do not believe the height above the road can be significant as there are no reported problems with the distance sensor in the latest Golfs where it has been repositioned to a higher place.

The sensors visible in the front bumper are proximity ones used for parking manoeuvres and are unlikely to be used for forward distance collision monitoring.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had our leaf 2.zero checked for this reason today. They did find some errors in the log but could not reproduce the intermittent fault (surprise surprise). If it happens again they recommended a full “recalibration” that takes 2 days and some setting up with mirrors(?).

·
White N-Connecta 40kW Leaf
29 Posts
It will be a calibration issue where the radar unit itself is not faulty. This has been covered adequately on other threads, but, as an update, since my unit was replaced and recalibrated I have had no issues. I will get the big scary triangle occasionally, but I live and drive in MK, so that is to be expected, and usually happens when the car in front brakes hard to dive off to the left. I can interpret this, but the radar unit cannot.

Interestingly, I now have a direct comparison with a system from an altogether different manufacturer. Having recently purchased a Skoda Octavia with a similar setup, I can tell you I prefer the Nissan system in the Leaf. Since the issue has been sorted, it has never actually applied the brakes hard in the Leaf, but the Skoda nearly put me through the windscreen with full-on braking and ABS kicking in when it panicked at a roundabout!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts