Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,625 Posts
I don’t get the use case.

You run out of charge.

Then you get a taxi to a place that has these?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,340 Posts
So much that is fundamentally wrong that will be immediately spotted by any EV driver. This isn't just slightly flawed it is head shakingly, unbelievably flawed. I'm out.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
So it has the battery in it to recharge an EV to full, yet needs to be plugged in, AND is compact enough to pull around.... this must be some kind of new “wonder battery”

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Would it be something that a recovery service would carry to give you enough juice to get to a proper charger if you have a range fail?
Certainly if I put it in the boot of my Niro there wouldn’t be room for much else 😆

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Or would it help those of us without off-street parking? I can see myself charging this at home and wheeling it a couple of 100m to charge the car without having to trail wires over pavements etc. How it would carry enough to fill a big battery I don’t know but maybe enough to top up at home if you get back nearly empty, so you can get to a proper charger later on 🤷🏻‍♀️

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
414 Posts
Would it be something that a recovery service would carry to give you enough juice to get to a proper charger if you have a range fail?
Certainly if I put it in the boot of my Niro there wouldn’t be room for much else 😆
The recovery service would be better off with a generator, which is what they in fact use.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,340 Posts
What makes you think that it has a battery inside the unit? The instructions clearly show that you have to plug it into a mains socket to charge a car.

The body looks like it just holds a pull-out reel of mains cable plus a pull-out reel of car charging cable with a wall charger unit built inside.

·
Registered
Kia E-Niro 2021 4+
291 Posts
Hadn’t spotted that! So it’s basically a giant and very inconvenient version of the granny charger? 😑

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
There are just far too many design students that are so detached from the real world and the laws of physics that you have to wonder quite how they've managed to stay alive long enough to produce complete and utter crap like this. What's worse, is that there are equally stupid people paying them.

I think that the OP's opinion was correct. This is a sort of student design project carried out by someone with about as much knowledge of car charging as my cat.

I'm sure your cat probably understand the reality of the world around it far, far better than the designer of this bit of crap, and all those idiots that have been taken in by it enough to fund the work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think you are all being a bit harsh. With a few tweaks it could work. I would do away with the mains plug and fit it with a 12V cigarette lighter plug instead. Then you could use it anywhere by simply plugging it into the car's 12V outlet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Freewire technologies have a 'mobile EV charger' the spec of which is available here: Mobi EV Charger - FreeWire Technologies. The issue here is it's limited to 11Kw AC output and weighs 844KGs, so is actually motorised with a little remote control and a top speed of about 4mph. You basically drive something that weighs the same as a small car up to a car to charge it, and it's 'not even' a DC charge.

Their 'use case' also doesn't make much sense to me, because if you want a 'mobile' fast charger that's effectively tied to a single location (due to weight/speed) Kempower make a 40kw DC/2*20KW DC unit that 'only' needs a 63/3 ceeform/commando connection to work. (EV charging station for both outdoor and indoor | CCS2 and CHAdeMO)

The functional issue is this: batteries are heavy and any 'portable charging' system that includes batteries is going to be hamstrung by that. You'd realistically have to mount aforementioned 844KG battery pack to a van and that's such an extra weight that it would only make sense if the van was exclusively used for rescuing flat-EVs, which right now they're not. On that note, I'd be really interested to know what charging topology Charge Fairy use - are they lugging around a battery for DC charges or do they sit there running a diesel engine all night? I've never seen their vans in person so I don't know. Looking at the numbers (and a photograph of them using a Tesla chamdeo adapter) I think they must be DCFCing because otherwise 11kw AC at 0.37p/kwh means £4 an hour, which is not enough to even pay the van driver!

People have pointed out that EV recovery services (RAC etc) use an alternator connected to the van's engine. I believe with the RAC it's currently a 24amp (5.52kw) AC charger but they're looking at replacing that with a 32amp (7.4kw) version for faster roadside charges.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
The recovery companies are starting to carry on-board power packs for emergency charging, their equivalent of a can of fuel. I think they only give a few miles of added range, though. Either enough to aid loading an EV to a recovery truck, or maybe drive a very short distance to a charger/charge point. I would imagine that these emergency charge points are probably pretty hefty, though (not seen one yet).

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
1,001 Posts
That "Roadie" unit looks like a good idea, at least for rescue missions where a driver is stranded and needs to get an extra 20-25 miles to reach another charger. I also think that the subscription method is useful for people with no off-street parking who would like the convenience of just being able to order a charge through an app. I think the idea has merit.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Wasn’t there a post on here a while back from a guy who was about to buy a £1k granny cable because it was labelled as a “portable charger”?

I know that EVSE is a technical term, but I really wish these things weren’t labelled as chargers - especially for AC when the charger is inside the car 😆

1 - 20 of 34 Posts