Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts
I wonder how many other manufacturers have special ECU modes to defeat the emissions and fuel economy tests.
All of them, except one.

Finally we can get rid of the "clean diesel" oxymoron. I don't believe it will be possible to "fix" these cars, I suspect they will stop selling the in the USA.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,467 Posts
Finally we can get rid of the "clean diesel" oxymoron. I don't believe it will be possible to "fix" these cars
I expect it is more subtle than that.

Evidently, if you drive in an EPA cycle style then the engine can decide to reduce combustion temperatures and you get 'a clean diesel'. If you hammer it then... dohhhh... the engine has to run more fuel, making it hotter and you get NOx.

This is just Amurcans, like when they sue for hot drinks when they realise dropping hot coffee in your lap might burn you so they sue for that sort of thing. Yup, you hammer an ICE car and it'll produce a load of exhaust crap. Really?!?!? That's such a surprise!

·
24,467 Posts
Come on Donald, the Passat GTE has a 9.9kwh battery, how big does it have to get before you find it acceptable?
When reps can go about their business and produce less emissions, not more because they're lugging around a now-overweight car with a dead-weight battery for the vast majority of the time.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Except VW have admitted that they specifically designed a "defeat" mode into the ECU just for the tests.

·
Super Moderator
7,269 Posts
When reps can go about their business and produce less emissions, not more because they're lugging around a now-overweight car with a dead-weight battery for the vast majority of the time.
How well would a 1.4 petrol Passat sell today? Not very. How much cleaner is a 1.4 petrol than a 2.0 "clean" diesel. Very. Job done as far as I'm concerned, plus even if they don't plug it in even once, the second owner will.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
They made a big song and dance about how their 'clean' diesels could match petrol emissions. Now it's proved to be total and utter sh**e.

No wonder European cities are dying under smog. How many UK VW Group diesels are also set to pump out 10x, 20x or 40x more crap than they're meant to. The EU will protect their German paymasters, but the US will hammer VW hard.

Good.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/business/volkswagen-is-ordered-to-recall-nearly-500000-vehicles-over-emissions-software.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

They're having to recall them all :)

"Under the terms of the Clean Air Act, the Justice Department could impose fines of as much as $37,500 for each recalled vehicle, for a possible total penalty of as much as $18 billion."

·
24,467 Posts
Except VW have admitted that they specifically designed a "defeat" mode into the ECU just for the tests.
Maybe, but I'll believe news of 'admissions' more if they are not from another party claiming someone else has admitted them. This is hearsay. It might be right, but it's hearsay.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Call it what you will. The US Government or EPA or whoever are not impressed.

I wonder if the BBC will be covering this anti VW story with the same zeal and vigour they use when covering Toyota recalls?

I've just looked on their website and the story is hidden in the US only section, as if it's news just for them. Toyota or Ford or GM issue a recall and it's front page news.

Volkswagen to recall 500,000 pollution-hiding cars in US - BBC News

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Can owners legally drive their vehicles now that they no longer comply? Don't they have high fines for drivers, esp in CARB States, where the vehicle is outside emission limits? Or is there an exemption? Could get interesting and expensive.

I wonder if VW have getting away with this process in Europe for years and thought it fine to do in the US?

·
24,467 Posts
"...blah.. blah...[initial recall and subsequent further testing]... This resulted in uncontrolled NOx emissions ......CARB shared the results with VW [who] disclosed .. a second calibration intended to run only during certification testing."

Gee. Morons. They get caught and rather just deal with the issue honestly, they screw around for a while.

Jail-time justified there, I think.

·
24,467 Posts
There's not a dot on the VW investors page that they have just been warned of a potential maximum $20 billion fine. I'd say that is pretty material to their investibility right now.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts