Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

As you will all most likely know an EML showing during an MOT test is a failure
The EML light appears occasionally then clears and has done this since mid last year (around service time)
My cheapo reader has logged the following:
P1af0,
P1af2,
P1e22,
P0ac4
I provided the codes to Bellinger ahead of them looking at the car and doing their own evaluation.
I was told.. quote

He would advise a diagnostic check using our diagnostic tools to find the cause of those faults. He has outlined to myself that the codes highlighted on your diagnostic tool doesn’t marry up with our Vauxhall codes, so would certainly like to re check for you.
As I mentioned before, this diagnostic has a standard charge of £93.60 including VAT.

Well their diagnostics equipment returned the same codes - so be aware anyone with the same or similar issue

Anyway, they need to keep the car for longer so have arranged to go back. No charge yet as they need to spend more time and tot up diagnostic costs
Told there will be a bit of email ping pong between dealer and Vauxhall as not straightforward to diagnose

At last service I noticed the cap missing from AC, and @donald mentioned to another member with same codes wrong refrigerant could be responsible
Another member has mentioned coolant heater issue, and impedance/isolation issue @HandyAndy
and @Ere Maijala

More info at the following url

The car has already had some invasive work when the heater cabin failed , pump, 3 way valve, 6kW heater
The 12V battery has been replaced already

In addition to the diagnosis and repair the car is due an MOT and Service (Year 8, 70K, quoted £291.64) in May, and will need 4 tyres.
So as much as I like the car and wanting to keep it I reckon I'm looking at about £900 + repair + harassment of being without car for some weeks.

I'm now doing 25-30K a year so I hate to say it but debating getting a 2.0D and come back to EV's in a couple of years
Will mean I'll need to find another garage I can trust

Thoughts/ideas appreciated

BR

Brian

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
25,186 Posts
So as much as I like the car and wanting to keep it I reckon I'm looking at about £900 + repair + harassment of being without car for some weeks.

.... I hate to say it but debating getting a 2.0D and come back to EV's in a couple of years
Yup. This was the reason I sold mine. It was very much a regretted decision, but being let down by a car is just not why I put effort into (by definition) trying to find and maintain a reliable car!

And as you have just found, it is not so much the car which GM designed to be readily maintainable by adequate techs, the issue is that UK and VX just don't have that information and even the lower levels of competence/availability of competence GM designed the car to be maintained by.

Regrettably I will stick with my advice which is not to own an EV unless you are sure it is under adequate warranty for the duration of time in which the purchase cost will 'pay for itself'.

(Some subjectivity on that last phrase, but you know what I mean, and it might mean slightly different things to different people. To me it means I can run a car for 25p/mile or less inc fuel, e.g. I'll buy a BEV car for £25k (assume virtually zero cost electricity) if I can be sure it'll run, warranted, for 100k miles.)

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Bluetooth dongle, cheap android phone (if you don't have one) and the app 'Torque', you just need to sit in the viewing area and continually scan for codes and then press the 'Clear Codes' function, job done.
:cool::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for their comments and views. I have cleared the codes numerous time and they appear at some point later. The main concern is if they appear during the test. (perhaps I should sit within BT range and keep clearing codes ;)
My money is on battery heater being the culprit
The car is reliable but the more other people work on it, the less confidence I have in it being reliable. Additionally, will be out of warranty in May.
My logic is if I part chop it now that I can save spending £1000.
The primary reason I got the Ampera was not for running costs, but because it is a bit different. Of course running costs matter but is not a major factor for me. I like that the Ampera because is quite rare and also very nice to drive.

BR

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm not suggesting you should do this but you could take the car for an MOT at an independent test station, and clear the codes as you drive in. As the warning light only comes on after a few starts (in my case it's three but each has to be accompanied by a charge), you simply leave the car switched on during it's MOT. The MOT chap tends to only look at the dash once to ascertain the mileage then works the lights / wipers etc - all of which require the car to be 'switched on' - it's then onto the ramp for external checks ...at this point the car might be switched off. So it then passes the MOT and is driven out (minus warning light) for you to collect.
At a recent service my local Vauxhall dealer (having completed the service) pointed out the warning light - told me the code (which I knew) - then told me they no longer service the electrical side of the vehicle ...so that's the last time I'm going there...
I've still got the warning light (P06E4) and I've got till November to sort it (that's when my next MOT is due) - and if I haven't sorted it by then, I might just follow my own suggestion.
Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is usefuI as had not noticed a pattern, and if the case then more predictable, and therefore easier to get through the test.
I appreciate your suggestion and information;sorry for delay in my replying.
Unless I get the itch to buy another car i'll let them diagnose and it may even be covered by warranty ;)
Cheers

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm not suggesting you should do this but you could take the car for an MOT at an independent test station, and clear the codes as you drive in. As the warning light only comes on after a few starts (in my case it's three but each has to be accompanied by a charge), you simply leave the car switched on during it's MOT. The MOT chap tends to only look at the dash once to ascertain the mileage then works the lights / wipers etc - all of which require the car to be 'switched on' - it's then onto the ramp for external checks ...at this point the car might be switched off. So it then passes the MOT and is driven out (minus warning light) for you to collect.
At a recent service my local Vauxhall dealer (having completed the service) pointed out the warning light - told me the code (which I knew) - then told me they no longer service the electrical side of the vehicle ...so that's the last time I'm going there...
I've still got the warning light (P06E4) and I've got till November to sort it (that's when my next MOT is due) - and if I haven't sorted it by then, I might just follow my own suggestion.
Good luck
Isn't this what we all do? ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts