Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email to say they will extend the warranty to 8 years, 100k miles and will replace the old 8gb card with a 64gb card. Great news.

I have already had one failure at 50k miles and 4 years. I suspect I got a like for like replacement of another 8gb card. So I need to hope for another failure before I hit the 8 year mark.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I suspect I got a like for like replacement of another 8gb card. So I need to hope for another failure before I hit the 8 year mark.
I don't believe it is a memory card, I think it is a chip on the board that fails - presumably the same chip that is inside memory cards.

Did they replace like for like or upgrade to the latest version? I'm tempted to do the upgrade but was going to wait until the current unit failed - I'm nearly on 50k and 4 years so it is probably imminent...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a flash memory card. The problem is it is soldered into the circuit board. Had they soldered a ‘holder’ in instead, it would be an easy switch out from an old to new card and saved Tesla a lot of cash and goodwill.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
eMMC is not just a "soldered on" SD card. While they both use flash memory at their core it's a different technology with different controllers.

eMMC is faster and has a lot more write endurance than all but the most expensive SD cards and is designed as the primary storage for embedded devices to boot from. You would not boot and run the head unit of a car off an SD card and expect it to last 10 years that's for sure, as SD cards just aren't that reliable and don't have that endurance.

The issue here is that the original eMMC chips are (purportedly) not very high quality and they are also too small. If they're replacing the 8GB chips with 64GB then all else being equal you'll get 8 times the write endurance as the bigger the flash is the less each cell has to be rewritten for the same amount of written data. So that will have a massive effect on longevity.

Apparently the logging to flash was also far too verbose causing a lot of unnecessary writes - while that may have been addressed in an over the air update some of the write endurance of the chip will have already been used up by the excessive logging prior to that update. In other words the chip was prematurely aged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts