Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
In Barcelona for the e-NV200 launch something (sad) amazed me, and I want in on the action.

The euro-spec LEAFs that ferried us around had the usual whine when going forward but, and this was the cool (sad) part, they also "buzzed"/beeped as you reverse. Not a full on lorry "beep beep beep" but more like a cross between the forward warning noise and a reverse beeper.

This, in many situations (like when you have to charge nose-on) could save literally minutes sat there while pedestrians wander (or stand) behind you not knowing you're trying to move off.

I did some reading and discovered it was removed from UK bound LEAFs back in 2011 due to post 10pm (or 11pm) noise restrictions.

However, this was because there was (back then) no option to switch the noises off. Now this is standard on UK spec LEAFs, surely they could put the reverse buzzer back. OR (hopes against hope) could it be there but just programmed out, or with a wire pulled on UK editions?

Any ideas? Everything I've found is on the US LEAF forums and about disabling rather than enabling this buzzer.

Super Moderator
It's a good question, and from memory it's a nice gentle scifi chime kind of noise. I'd be interested in turning it back on too. Might be worth a tweet to Nissan?

Banned
However, this was because there was (back then) no option to switch the noises off. Now this is standard on UK spec LEAFs, surely they could put the reverse buzzer back. OR (hopes against hope) could it be there but just programmed out, or with a wire pulled on UK editions?
We had the 'off' button for the sounds back then, but you had to press it every time you started the car to turn the noise generator off. Has this changed?

Administrator
Discussion Starter #4
We had the 'off' button for the sounds back then, but you had to press it every time you started the car to turn the noise generator off. Has this changed?
Hmm, no it's still like that. I'm sure I read that it was due to not being able to disable it that it wasn't allowed on UK spec cars.

Quick search (again) brought these: Edmunds: "The British, though, are sensitive about nighttime noise levels in their towns and cities and U.K. law says warning beepers, buzzers and other auditory annoyances on motor vehicles have to be able to be disabled between the hours of 11 p.m. and 6 a.m. Nissan's original system didn't allow the beeper to be turned off." http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-archive/2011/03/british-make-nissan-deactivate-leaf-evs-backup-warning-signal.html
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1056100_to-sound-or-not-to-sound-nissan-removes-beeper-from-u-k-leaf

It seems they should be switchable to be legal. Which seems to fit the LEAF setup.

Here's some truck folks who should know more than us: http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92643

Hmmm.

Registered
I'm aware of the noise legislation - though no expert - but surely there are exceptions.
The reverse sensor beeps on my previous car would certainly have been audible to people outside the car and there was no way to turn them off (nor, as far as I know, any need to do so).

So I understand that the VSP needs to be switchable, but I don't believe the same applies to reverse-warning beeps. I would definitely add my name to those wanting them - my driveway has big bushes either side which makes reversing out tricky, and invisible to pedestrians/cars until the car is almost on the road.

Registered
For the UK I don't understand why the car doesn't simply make the same noise in reverse as it does when going forwards. Anyone have any clues?

I have to reverse from the drive over the pavement in the mornings so it would be nice if it made some kind of noise.

Not a big fan of the reversing beep beep though.

Registered
Has there been any update on this? I would love to be able to enable the bleeper on my Gen 1 Leaf. Does anyone know how it was disabled, and is reinstating it a DIY job?
Tony

Registered
Had the first REAL time that this would have helped me - the offices opposite ours are being renovated and I have to reverse into my parking bay, past the building site. Reversing very slowly because there are people milling around, then somebody walks out of the site entrance on the phone right behind me, and stops while chatting away. Luckily a colleague pulled him then he noticed the car.

Registered
In a carpark, I find getting into the car lets bystanders know I'm about to move out...that and the reversing lights..?
I find the forward noisemaker just puzzles people,it doesn't appear to make them pay attention,they're not looking in my direction..maybe a reverse option would be more effective...

Registered
The Nissan Leaf service manuals show the circuit diagrams and reference the signals sent over the CAN Bus.
I'm pretty sure there isn't a separate speaker for it, and the signals are multiplexed, so I'm convinced it wasn't a cut wire or pulled fuse.
That leaves two options - firmware update or configuration change.

I doubt they'll have written custom UK firmware for this feature, so it'll probably be a setting.
From looking at the flowcharts, I believe the setting will be stored in the dashboard module.

Given that I've not heard of anyone that was able to have the reversing signal re-enabled, it's probably not a setting that is presented on the Nissan CONSULT device (else dealers would have helped customers switch it back on).

There's probably a specific value that can be written to the CAN Bus that'll change this setting.

stvmac11 wrote a great article on manipulating the CAN Bus with an arduino at instrctables.com -
Car to Arduino Communication: CAN Bus Sniffing and Broadcasting with Arduino
The Leaf Spy app by Turbo3 can change settings like automatic door locking; it should be the same in principle, just using a different message ID and value.

The danger is, if we send the wrong instruction, we could end up inadvertently changing something critical like the 'max battery temp' or throttle profile.

Oh, how I'd love a copy of the firmware sourecode (and encryption keys!) for the Leaf's components...

Registered
Fit Nissan reverse parking sensors and problem solved - we have a very satisfying and very loud beep beep every time we ghost backwards now.

By the way, is it me getting old or are Leaf reversing lights like twin AA searchlights? They're chuffin' bright...

Registered
By the way, is it me getting old or are Leaf reversing lights like twin AA searchlights? They're chuffin' bright...
I think it's because there are two of them. Goes against that modern trend of just the one on the passenger side. We're back to two with the Leaf and think we're spoilt. :unsure:

Registered
Another annoying change is, because you can't drive with locked doors in Germany the anti hijacking feature where the doors lock when 10mph is reached is disabled even though it shows how to enable it in the handbook, but can be renabled with an app called Leaf Manager, doesn't help for my wife's Juke though

Registered
I'm not a fan of these various noise generators in the name of safety. What if the person walking behind your car is deaf?

Driver vigilance is the only way to properly improve safety.

If you think a noise would help in a given situation, toot the horn. In fact, I would prefer a second horn which was much softer and quieter for attracting attention when needed instead of a dumb artificial sound which was on all the time.

Registered
There is a new Fully Charged video showing how it is necessary for a sound to be produced at low speed for alerting blind pedestrians. I really want to fix this problem on my Gen 1 Leaf. Has anyone got answers yet? I really dont care about the stupid horn noise after hours regulations.

Registered
There is a new Fully Charged video showing how it is necessary for a sound to be produced at low speed for alerting blind pedestrians. I really want to fix this problem on my Gen 1 Leaf. Has anyone got answers yet? I really dont care about the stupid horn noise after hours regulations.
The gen 1 does produce a pedestrian warning noise when moving forwards at low speed

1 - 20 of 21 Posts