Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a secondhand 2016 Zoe in 2019 from Wilsons in Epsom, and pay £89 per
month for battery hire. My 36 months hire ends in May 2022. Last May I rang RCI and was told that I can renew it when it ends for 12 months, still at £89pm or buy it outright, which they valued at £3750 as of May.
Can I choose not to carry on paying the £89 per month after May 2022 or buy it outright, and just keep it?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,885 Posts
No. You cannot use the battery without paying for it one way or another. Buying the battery adds value to the car but transfers the risk of battery degregation to you. Do you know the current state of health of the battery?

·
Registered
658 Posts
No. You're still liable for the battery rentals until you either buy the battery or transfer the lease to someone else when you sell the car. You have the option to renew at the current rate, or chose a different mileage allowance, and continue at a different rate.

Whilst RCI may be slow at renewing your lease, they will catch up with you and you will be liable for the payments. The last thing you want is a string of missed payments on your credit file because you tried to get away without paying the lease.

When our lease renewed after the first 3 years, it took RCI a few months to send the renewal paperwork. Our lease if only £35 /month so we were happy to renew at that. They never bothered charging us for the missing months, but if we'd refused to agree to a renewal at all, they were quite clear that we would be liable and they would chase up payments.

I don't know of anyone who's tried to test that out. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle for £35 /month and then free electricity it was way cheaper than diesel. We too will soon be in the same situation again in a few months time, when our 3 year battery lease comes up for renewal a second time. This time I'll be interested to see if I have any other options other than renewing again on what is now a 8 year old battery.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You don't own the battery, so you need to buy it outright or continue to rent access to it.
Up to you whether what they want for the battery is worth it ( general opinion is that it is about the right sort of value they want).

If you don't pay they will remotely disable charging, making it soon unusable.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
425 Posts
You don't own the battery, so you need to buy it outright or continue to rent access to it.
Up to you whether what they want for the battery is worth it ( general opinion is that it is about the right sort of value they want).

If you don't pay they will remotely disable charging, making it soon unusable.
i'm sure i have seen a setting in ddt4all that says something like 'allow charging to be disabled' disable or enable ... and then some people say pulling the tcu fuse has same effect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts