Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 year battery lease ends soon. Not heard a thing from RCI. I'm hoping not to hear anything and cancel the direct debit as there is likely not to be any formal agreement going forward. What have people's experiences been?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,800 Posts
My 3 year battery lease ends soon. Not heard a thing from RCI. I'm hoping not to hear anything and cancel the direct debit as there is likely not to be any formal agreement going forward. What have people's experiences been?
Despite the risk of it still going on your credit file, you'll lose the ability to charge your car after a short while if you continue to use the car without a battery lease contract in place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You should get a letter saying that it's ending and you can either renew the lease, buy out the battery or hand it back...

The battery belongs to RCI.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
Despite the risk of it still going on your credit file, you'll lose the ability to charge your car after a short while if you continue to use the car without a battery lease contract in place.
It just rolls over automatically.

No need to alarm the OP.

If he cancels the DD then he’s using something he’s not paid for, which is fraud. :)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,644 Posts
still not fraud! It’s breach of contract so they can take civil enforcement like repossessing the battery
You might want to check your definition. So it will be breach of contract if he doesn't return the battery and fraud if he continues to use it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
There is no wrongful or criminal deception... Therefore not fraud.. Civil proceedings would be instigated.. police would not be interested as it's a civil matter... There was no deception and contract was legally taken out and ran for years.
The battery is their property however but it has not been stolen as he did not dishonesty appropriate the property originally...

·
Registered
746 Posts
You might want to check your definition. So it will be breach of contract if he doesn't return the battery and fraud if he continues to use it.
It’s very much a civil matter and does not meet the test for fraud. It’s the same as if you didn’t pay your car lease, they aren’t going to call the police

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
595 Posts
I expect they RCI will eventually contact you to renew the lease, if they stop taking the money then they will have to try and recover their loss, personally I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As above. It's a civil matter, nothing to do with Fraud.

What does your original contract say will happen at the end? I imagine you will get a letter / contract or something come through asking what you want to do.

This is why I hate leased batteries. What if the battery is not so degraded you can have it replaced (is it 70% SOH ?) But badly enough that you don't want to carry on with that particular battery or buy it? If you took out a new lease, how does that work, do you get a new battery?

What are the monthlies on a new battery, what would it cost to buy a new battery? Can you even just buy a new battery?

What is your current SOH on the battery you have in there at the moment?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Last year I had a letter from RCI about a month before the agreement's end date saying that they'd extended the agreement for 12 months. Didn't have to do anything, direct debit continued as usual.

Reactions: Rooster-x

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Last year I had a letter from RCI about a month before the agreement's end date saying that they'd extended the agreement for 12 months. Didn't have to do anything, direct debit continued as usual.
Likewise.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,575 Posts
And while my experience is not from the UK, here it just kept silent. I am still paying the same rather fair monthly fees as I did then I bought the car 7.5 years ago. Not a word, no nothing. TBH, I didn't mind at all as if memory serves me right, they have only obliged themselves in the contract to renew twice, with no mention of fixed rates. All in all, things have been smooth and reasonable.

Slightly off topic, I had an offer for roughly 2500 euro inc VAT, 7.5 years old, SOH jumped up to 84%

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I believe I read that they can stop the car charging if you don't renew or buy the battery.
There's a fuse you can remove to prevent this. The real "stick" to make sure you don't cancel the DD is the impact on credit rating.

Reactions: EVJustin

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
They can only record a default if you have breached the agreement. If it’s not clear what happens, you could argue you believed you only paid for three years and that was it..... I doubt it will be that badly worded mind!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Is there not something the agreement about it continuing to roll over month by month unless there is a new agreement (I have an i model so I own my battery) or the 3 years being a minimum term?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts