Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after spending a HUGE portion of time & effort getting OLEV approval.. it seems like it may well have been a waste of time.. now the PIG (plug in grant) has been dropped to £350.00 the onerous paperwork and 60 + day lag time before payment hardly seems worth the effort.. considering the install work should roughly work out at £250 + and possibly a lot more.. then the benefit of the grant is only about £200.00 .. the smart charger as required by OLEV is at least £150 dearer than its less intelligent counterpart.. £300 for the basic charger, £300 for the install, total cost to customer £600.00 that’s what most of the companies are charging them AFTER the grant anyway… if its part of the purchase deal then the “£159 fitted” may be feasible but as a private install price.. just wishful thinking.. and the PIG that’s only going to go one way… down.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Are you suggesting that the installers are profiteering? Surely not ..... :unsure:
Without the grant acting as a stimulus to the market fewer people would bother with the cost and hassle of a proper charge point and instead would rely on all sorts of unsafe arrangements to use granny chargers and other Level 2 devices, also missing out on the full benefits of off-peak and time of use tariffs. In turn this would make EVs less attractive financially and reduce uptake.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'll be looking to update my old 3kW dumb charger in a year or so and would be looking for another dumb charger and an electrician to install and notify the DNO (no OLEV).
No fan of smart stuff, I have a smart meter which the supplier can not see and is dumb, manual readings required and this is one of the latest 2 types and as for my smart phone, thats a misnomer if there ever was one.

@gary wyatt-williams if your in my area (herts) then there is a job coming up when the amp is changed.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Presumably you are looking to move to 7kW, or is there another reason?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be looking to update my old 3kW dumb charger in a year or so and would be looking for another dumb charger and an electrician to install and notify the DNO (no OLEV).
No fan of smart stuff, I have a smart meter which the supplier can not see and is dumb, manual readings required and this is one of the latest 2 types and as for my smart phone, thats a misnomer if there ever was one.

@gary wyatt-williams if your in my area (herts) then there is a job coming up when the amp is changed.
sorry, im a welshie,, where a car wash is driving through a puddle and squezzing past some sheep

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you suggesting that the installers are profiteering? Surely not ..... :unsure:
Without the grant acting as a stimulus to the market fewer people would bother with the cost and hassle of a proper charge point and instead would rely on all sorts of unsafe arrangements to use granny chargers and other Level 2 devices, also missing out on the full benefits of off-peak and time of use tariffs. In turn this would make EVs less attractive financially and reduce uptake.
totally agree, unfortunatly this is the reality we face as a small company..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Market theory is that someone should be willing to factor your book of outstanding OLEV claims and buy them off of you (Yes, they will want a profit hence you will get less than their face value) hence improving your cash flow. As usual the market doesn't appear to be working.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Presumably you are looking to move to 7kW, or is there another reason?
Move to 7kW for the next one. SWMBO has decided the next will be a 500e to replace the current 500 automatic.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Move to 7kW for the next one...
If it's a Rolec, you can swap out the ECU for a Viridian Mainpine one (appx £80), replace the RCBO (appx £25) & Contactor (£unknown but surely <£50) with 40A equivalents, upgrade the supply wire which has to be done for any EVSE, and job done, if you're untethered. New car-cable if tethered. Might work out cheaper than a whole new EVSE.

Otoh probably easier sell the old one, buy new one with wty!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
@HandyAndy Its a v-old chargemaster 3.7kW, I think the cable may be up to a 7KW unit, need to investigate, I recall - memory is not what it was now, It was a while ago - the spark put some over the top wiring in at the time.
@dk6780 Something like that.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
You really out to bring the wiring up to 18th Edition at the same time - the unit I linked to isn't fully compliant with that so take car before purchasing.
An alternative is the Ohme unit through Octopus if you are with them and just get the sparky to change the wiring to a 32A CEE connector.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Mines probably 1st edition! However the spiders like it. The wiring will be down to the spark at the time, should know the current regs at the time, do they change every year? could be 19th then when its done in probably 12- 18 months.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
One option with slightly undersized wiring is to limit the maximum current. Done that with one charger setting the limit to ,25Amps.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Well after spending a HUGE portion of time & effort getting OLEV approval.. it seems like it may well have been a waste of time.. now the PIG (plug in grant) has been dropped to £350.00 the onerous paperwork and 60 + day lag time before payment hardly seems worth the effort.. considering the install work should roughly work out at £250 + and possibly a lot more.. then the benefit of the grant is only about £200.00 .. the smart charger as required by OLEV is at least £150 dearer than its less intelligent counterpart.. £300 for the basic charger, £300 for the install, total cost to customer £600.00 that’s what most of the companies are charging them AFTER the grant anyway… if its part of the purchase deal then the “£159 fitted” may be feasible but as a private install price.. just wishful thinking.. and the PIG that’s only going to go one way… down.
We're thinking something similar - it was hardly worthwhile at £500 never mind £350. I suspect small companies will get pushed out by the big companies who have big back-end teams that automate all the (horrible) paperwork.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts