Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of November 9 there is no longer any grant available for the purchase of PHEVs like the Countryman, I got £2,500 off the price of the car when I bought in summer 2017. Moreover the deliveries are being delayed because all cars need to go through the new emissions standards ("WLTP") following the VW emissions scandal. The tests for PHEV emissions are also totally changed and differentiated from other engine types by doing 2 tests and taking the average result; 1. running it with a full battery to depletion, and 2. running the engine with no battery. Taking the average is kind of meaningless (why not just disclose both results?) but I suppose it creates a single-figure comparison. All cars are going to get much worse results under this WLTP than they did under the discredited predecessor. Wonder how PHEVs will end up faring, if the CO2 emissions go up then could be impact on tax, my car is 49gm/km, but even if it increases up to 100gm/km it is only £95 a year.

·
Premium Member
11,586 Posts
They new WLTP testing doesn't retrospectively change existing cars, you pay VED and BIK (where appropriate) based on the emissions stated on your V5.

EU governments (including UK) aren't using the WLTP emissions for a while, instead there is a pseudo-NEDC value derived from the WLTP. The "problem" for manufacturers is that it is often quite a bit higher than old NEDC!

See The NEDC value of a car increased suddenly, what happened? | WLTPfacts.eu

New cars pay a variable first year tax based on NEDC emissions and then £140 a year, with a reduction of just £10 for ULEVs. BEVs are still zero.

See Vehicle tax rates

·
Registered
105 Posts
The MINI has been through the WLTP tests and the CO2 is now 56g/km which has bumped up the BIK. I didn't realise this when I cancelled my Passat GTE order...but I've had to swallow it and I'm much happier with the MINI.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts