Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

PHEVs no longer being sold would be a good thing.

• Strongly agree

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Agree

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Neither agree nor disagree

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • Disagree

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • Strongly Disagree

Votes: 8 12.5%
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article below and quick survey - comments welcome too.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
569 Posts
They made sense to tempt people into EV's 10 years ago, but serve no purpose now as EV's have improved. I know Toyota's argument is with limited battery supply more hybrids can be built than full EV's but again that argument fails with the massive increase in the plans companies are making to produce more batteries. At the end of the day your increasing cost and complexity for little benefit compared to a modern EV and once the battery has been depleted on longer journeys your hauling dead weight.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
Not before time! Whilst they are at it they should get on and ban SUVs as well. :devilish: Will the UK lead on this with Boris's strategy for a 78% reduction by 2035?

Frankly I have to agree with Ed Miliband who said "targets without delivery. So while any strengthening of our targets is the right thing to do, the government can't be trusted to match rhetoric with reality."
Not that I believe that Labour would be any better.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
1,018 Posts
Having driven a couple of non-plugin hybrids and one PHEV I maintain they're just the worst of all worlds since you have all the complexities and foibles of both an EV and an ICE vehicle mashed together.

The electric range is never enough.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
216 Posts
I was considering a PHEV when I was planning on changing the car but after research cam to the conclusion that a full EV was the sensible solution, the occasions I make a journey outside it's range are so rare and now charging is less problematic with so many available, unless you are driving from Cornwall to Scotland every week or so go full EV

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Got collared by a neighbour earlier this week. He knows I have driven EVs for a few years and wanted to pick my brains. I tried to be helpful and honest but was wasting my time really as he had already made up his mind that he wanted a Range Rover which he reckons will give him a 40 mile EV range and the flexibility to do long distances when he needs it.

While the option for PHEVs exist I think many will continue to want one even if they are not really the best tool for the job (and for most use cases they probably aren't).

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
569 Posts
Yeah my boss wanted a PHEV Range Rover but I told him he was better off with a BEV or just a regular Fossil, in the end he just got the Regular Fossil Range Rover, shame that their is no full BEV version as he really wanted a Range Rover. Tried to tempt him with a Polestar 2 but he wasn't having it :)

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Most people looking at PHEV Range Rovers and similar are doing so due to attractive BiK benefits rather than genuinely trying to reduce emissions. They don't really want to move away from ICE but do want to save some money. Changes in taxation legislation are likely to be nearly as effective as banning PHEVs.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah my boss wanted a PHEV Range Rover but I told him he was better off with a BEV or just a regular Fossil, in the end he just got the Regular Fossil Range Rover, shame that their is no full BEV version as he really wanted a Range Rover. Tried to tempt him with a Polestar 2 but he wasn't having it :)
I wanted to buy a new Range Rover PHEV and actually test drove one. I got 21 miles before the battery ran out. Rubbish and a price premium!

So I bought a used Range Rover V8 and a used VW e-Golf. The ultimate hybrid solution. Problem solved!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
So I bought a used Range Rover V8 and a used VW e-Golf. The ultimate hybrid solution. Problem solved!
Do you tow one around with the other at all times? :eek: :p

·
Registered
571 Posts
I drive a Rex which has a realistic battery range, whilst its possible to run on the genny its really an emergency thing and only has a small tank, I think they should be exempt as it allows the odd longer journey and the failed charger routine

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
569 Posts
Well anecdotal evidence from my neighbor's PHEV Ford Kuga shows the problem, he was told by Ford not to charge it for about 6 months while they sourced a replacement battery for it. Not sure what was wrong with the battery but I'm sure if it was a BEV they would have fixed it a lot quicker. They did refund him all the fuel it burnt but kind of missing the point of getting a PHEV in the first place.

A quick google answers the question

Ford Kuga hybrid fault: Thousands need faulty battery packs replaced.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do you tow one around with the other at all times? :eek: :p
LOL, well there is a precedent when you see the motor homes towing Smart cars and the like. But no. I could do it. But no. And the reason I don't do it is by employing a technique I have developed. What I do when I decide to go somewhere is work out where I'm going and how many miles it is. Radical? You bet!

So, if my journey is a round trip of 120 miles or less, or 120 miles one way with guaranteed charging and enough time at the other end, then I use the e-Golf. Anything else I use the Range Rover.

This means I do about 95% of my trips in the e-Golf, 5% in my Range Rover.

But I do 40% of my miles in the e-Golf and 60% in my Range Rover. In round numbers, about 5000 miles in the Golf and 7000 in the Range Rover.

Fuel consumption on the Range Rover is dramatically improved as the journeys are invariably long distance cruising, so 32mpg is achievable, as opposed to the average 17mpg I was getting when I didn't have the e-Golf.

Wear and tear is shared across 2 cars, the e-Golf bearing the brunt as it does the tedious urban/suburban stop/start stuff. I do tend to keep my cars 7 years plus but with the reduced miles on each car that can be substantially extended (as long as I don't get bored).

And they are both great fun.

The ultimate hybrid!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,911 Posts
is by employing a technique I have developed. What I do when I decide to go somewhere is work out where I'm going and how many miles it is. Radical? You bet!
You should market an App for that, get all the hip and trendy young things doing likewise. ;) :p Not that you aren't a "hip and trendy" young thing of course.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The mercane widewheel pro has more electric range than a plug-in range rover and costs around 1/100th the price... shame the UK has a treadmill requirement on electric bicycles...

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
202 Posts
They don't really want to move away from ICE but do want to save some money
I want to go full bev (my wife already has the ID3) but show me a 7 seat bev that I can buy. The Model X I looked at had a delivery date of '2022'. No further details as regards delivery. In the UK there are two 7 seat PHEVs, you can buy, the XC90 and the new Kia Sorento. I am looking ta the Sorento but supplies are very limited. I suppose we could always buy two bevs and drive two cars to places... That's where a PHEV comes in useful, as a means to an end to transport more than 5 people. Maximize EV driving and when 7 seat BEVs do appear I can get one of them.

I would love VW to bring the ID6 to Europe nut hat doesn't look like it is going to happen at all.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I want to go full bev (my wife already has the ID3) but show me a 7 seat bev that I can buy. The Model X I looked at had a delivery date of '2022'. No further details as regards delivery. In the UK there are two 7 seat PHEVs, you can buy, the XC90 and the new Kia Sorento. I am looking ta the Sorento but supplies are very limited. I suppose we could always buy two bevs and drive two cars to places... That's where a PHEV comes in useful, as a means to an end to transport more than 5 people. Maximize EV driving and when 7 seat BEVs do appear I can get one of them.

I would love VW to bring the ID6 to Europe nut hat doesn't look like it is going to happen at all.
Well there's the Model S, the model X, the Nissan e-NV200 Combi, The Mercedes EQV, the new London Taxi thingy, off the top of my head, however most people I know rarely use the back row because it is so awkward and uncomfortable. I know because we ran a 7 seater ICE for 10 years and only used more than 5 seats about a dozen times.

If you genuinely do need 7 seats on a regular basis there are many more options if you go ICE and there is likely little difference in mpg and real world emissions to a 7 seater PHEV. Or do like @Geoff_S and buy an old Galaxy or Zafira AND a proper BEV.

I'm really not convinced anyone would buy a 7 seater PHEV if it wasn't for the BiK.

·
Registered
522 Posts
There are plenty of reasons why a prospective PHEV owner would choose that route over a BEV that has nothing to do with BIK. The estate and large vehicle sectors are very poorly served by BEVs just now, so for those not wanting to run a standard ICE then PHEVs can and do make a lot of sense. There’s as much unfounded prejudice against PHEVs by a certain sector of BEV owners as there is by uneducated ICE owners against EVs it seems!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts