Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The teenage son of some friends has set up a petition on the Parliament petitions site, as part of his Duke of Edinburgh award, calling for subsidies currently provided to the fossil fuel industry to be withdrawn and invested in clean energy instead.

He could do with a little more support for it and I'm sure some of you on here will have sympathy with what Joe is campaigning for.

Petition here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/173570

Please sign and share :) Thanks

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So what form does all this extra cash to oil and gas take?
Tax relief. The total income to the exchequer from north sea oil last year was approximately equal to the tax concessions given.
Essentially, the government (i.e. you and me) are paying to subsidise an industry that is using our money to out-compete renewable energy and therefore delaying our transition to renewables whilst, at the same time, they claim that renewables aren't competitive.

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Tax relief. The total income to the exchequer from north sea oil last year was approximately equal to the tax concessions given.
And those tax concessions were given because?

Baring in mind the price of oil is barely more then the cost of extraction currently.

Or do we want the oil industry to be basically shutdown in the U.K.

·
Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens, Kia Niro PHEV
1,414 Posts
In fairness, the tax on the fuel (in addition to the tax on oil companies profit) is much more than the subsidies so not sure this is a great route to go down.

·
Registered
705 Posts
If these subsidies are withdrawn, then it could result in having to import more fossil fuels which would then be even worse for the environment.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I recognise that this may not be the very best way of tackling things, but I was please to see a young man wanting to challenge what he sees as the inherent unfairness of govt supporting the fossil fuel industry in a way it does not support the renewable energy sector. His view is that climate change is a likely catastrophe and he wanted to challenge the current direction of travel.

As an aside, the oil industry got huge tax breaks throughout the '70's as the then Labour government gave tax breaks to offset the costs of investment in the North Sea. Not a penny was paid in tax from North Sea oil until the early 1980s. It seems a little unfair for the huge investments in development of renewables to not also be given similar treatment.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,971 Posts
I was please to see a young man wanting to challenge what he sees as the inherent unfairness of govt supporting the fossil fuel industry
And we should care that his, as well as my grandchildren's, children will suffer if we do nothing about it now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
to import more fossil fuels which would then be even worse for the environment.
I don't think so. In my opinion, to bring oil from abroad is way less dirty business, than to develop it here. It's like you produce your own alcohol at home (imagine that stink) compare to just grab it at a corner shop. (I'm not speaking about the money, just environment)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
And those tax concessions were given because?
Baring in mind the price of oil is barely more then the cost of extraction currently.
Or do we want the oil industry to be basically shutdown in the U.K.
Interesting. So, you are suggesting that an industry that is completely uneconomic should be subsidised by the government (again that means you and me) whilst renewables development is curtailed with their subsidies removed? Now that sounds two stops short of Dagenham to me.

Whatever happened to free and fair competition?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I don't think so. In my opinion, to bring oil from abroad is way less dirty business, than to develop it here.
Not to mention the economic and strategic benefit of hanging on to our oil. Whilst we can only burn 20% of existing reserves without destabilising the climate, we may need it again in the future for things like plastic manufacture or - indeed - to supplement renewable generation at critical times. Subsidising it now to burn, when we need to get rid of it is utter madness.

Let's use the money to go flat out for renewables instead and face up to the issues as we hit them, instead of wringing out hands and saying "Oooh, it's all too difficult."

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
What seems to pi55 me off is that the spin from the government last week was all about 'renewables need to stand on their own feet and stop adding lots to everybody else's electricity bills...making British steel uneconomic'.

Can anybody post a link to the FACTS that cuts through the spin? Not just our opinions?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,122 Posts
Are there some documented facts and figures for this assertion of reduced taxation? Or is it just an assertion with no facts and figures?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Output is only one third of what it was ten years ago. They are drilling the deeper waters (more expensive) and fracking (more expensive) but in my opinion its a dying industry for the UK, unless onshore fracking takes off.....

·
Banned
1,531 Posts
Well here is evidence of the oil and gas industry getting a tax break

Oil and Gas companies: tax relief for decommissioning expenditure - GOV.UK

Want to know what utter plant hating bastards drove this?

Erm

Greenpeace basically

As after the Brent Spar carry-on it emerged that the UK government are now giving oil companies a tax break to completely remove all oil installations above the sea bed

And where does all this evil tax money get spent

Oh

In the UK paying the salary of engineers who are the same engineers who are doing offshore wind installations

And want oil and gas to be on an even footing with wind power

Suits me

If the UK government wants to force people to buy UK produced oil and gas at higher prices then you can buy on the open market then i'll be delighted

1 - 20 of 58 Posts