Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading about the launch of Zoe in 2012 was fitted with Energy™ EV low rolling resistance tyres .... well I just bought a 2013 model and it has bog standard run of the mill tyres on it the same most other cars such as ICE cars and was wondering 2 things , what effect does this have on range (low rolling resistance tyres are lighter than normal tyres) and if people on here are just using normal tyres or any special brands?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitting low rolling resistance tyres as standard allows the car manufacturers to publish higher range figures for new cars. Any tyre is a balance between lower rolling resistance / longer life at one end and better grip / wet weather performance at the other. The best tyres for you really depends on where you live, how you use the car and how much you are willing to spend.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
Renault are fitting Michelin Primacy 4 (a standard tyre) to all ZE50.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it does really make sense though that on an EV where every little bit of weight makes a saving (even if slightly) that they would fit them with the lightest tyre possible - I see also (well in Ireland)@ €26,000 you can buy the new Zoe Play edition EV and as far as i can make out it hasnt even got Alloys , it has steel wheels - that would add some more weight i'd hazard a guess?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just logged on for the first time in ages to post about my problem, and it is so closely related to what the OP has to say that I may as well join here and let the debate happen.

My 2016 22kWh zoe came fitted with Energy EV's. By now, the two fronts were looking perished, but still with some tread depth after 20k miles. Had it serviced by a renault dealer today, and with the tyres causing an 'advisory' on the MOT i agreed it would be prudent to fit two new fronts. The quote was for £150 each tyre inc fitting. This was not a surprise to me, as I knew from when I last had a puncture repair the quote for a replacement Energy EV tyre was about £130. I discussed on the phone with the dealer and agreed so long as they were fitting the EV-specific tyre recommended by renault, I was happy whatever it was - the dealer couldn't recall the model name on the phone and neither could I. I get home and see they are Michelin Primacy 4's. I look them up and can get them for £90. I feel like I've been ripped off! And am worried my range will suffer... I only just joined the 100 mile club for the first time a couple of weeks ago! But indeed, it does appear to be what renault are fitting now, I hardly have cause to complain. Except it is not EV specific, as I discussed. Hmm... can I live with it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've searched around the forum for myself a bit now (was a bit quick to post with my dissapointing discovery combined with a thread exactly on topic) and note that the problem with cracking/perishing of the Energy EVs seems to be a well known problem, perhaps driving renault to switch. But also still a question mark over the impact on range. With the Primacy 4's introduced alongside the 50kWh zoe it makes sense to balance the budget against expensive low drag tyres, but that doesn't apply to my poor old 22 kWh model. I guess I'll see how I get on and feedback!

·
Registered
3 Posts
And to answer the OP directly - I wouldn't be too concerned about the weight of a tyre or wheel in terms of it's affect on economy. Yes, bringing the inertia of that mass up to speed does cost some energy, especially in stop-start conditions. However, a far greater amount of energy is spent continuously turning the wheel against the drag forces it experiences against the road. Predominately, this drag is caused by deformation of the tyre as it rotates. That's why running at higher pressures, which allows less deformation, reduces drag. It seems the Energy EV had very soft (and weak) sidewalls to reduce the energy consumed in deforming the tyre.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,120 Posts
I tested the difference of Michelin EV over Dunlop Bluresponce over 57k miles. Without a doubt the Dunlops are better. They don't last as long though, 17k vs 22k on the Michelin. But they generally cost half as much if you shop around. Grip with Dunnys is better as is noise. Don't bother with the Michelin, they are expensive, prone to cracking, bulges and puncture.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My 2013 ZOE came with the energy tyres. I let someone test drive it, they thought the accelerator was the brake and nearly killed us - and in so doing blew the two nearside tyres (though miraculously caused no other damage). I replaced the blown tyres with cheap tyres at the nearest tyre place, and noticed no difference in range afterwards.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts