Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for not searching the forum beforehand but i have a couple of questions which might be quickly answered.
1. Where do I find the energy consumption in miles/kWh? I'm sure I watched a video where this is possible but cannot find it in the menu
2. I charged the car yesterday. It has been standing in the garage unplugged for the last 24 hours and has lost 35 miles in range. What can I have left running that would cause that level of energy consumption at idle? Sentry mode was on. I thought the heating was turned off when the car is locked, but it did seem quite warm when I got back in this afternoon.

Any thoughts?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
One of the cards, swiping to the right, at the bottom left-hand corner will show you the kWh per mile and you should be able to calculate it from that. The figure here is what you are trying to keep as low as possible as opposed to miles per kWh which is what you are trying to get the highest.
Regarding the 25 miles loss, my understanding is that this could be down to the fact that the battery will have cooled down and, as such, will show what range you could expect from the battery at that temperature. Sentry mode will use power as well and could you have left the timer set to a 'Departure time'? in which case the car will have warmed up the cabin ready for departure.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Forgive me for not searching the forum beforehand but i have a couple of questions which might be quickly answered.
1. Where do I find the energy consumption in miles/kWh? I'm sure I watched a video where this is possible but cannot find it in the menu
2. I charged the car yesterday. It has been standing in the garage unplugged for the last 24 hours and has lost 35 miles in range. What can I have left running that would cause that level of energy consumption at idle? Sentry mode was on. I thought the heating was turned off when the car is locked, but it did seem quite warm when I got back in this afternoon.

Any thoughts?
did you get a lot of sentry events?
I've seen 7% loss overnight with sentry mode on. Thats about 5kwh

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, I had 3 events. None of them seemed important. Does sentry mode really consume a lot of power then?
Yep it does. As a rough calculation it consumes about 1 mile of range per hour of use but also depends on other factors such as how many times it's been triggered etc. I only turn it on when parked in a public place but certainly shouldn't need it when it's parked in your garage or driveway (one hopes). Having said that, I did do a test once just to see how much battery it consumes by leaving it on overnight. After 8 hours it used up 3% of my battery, which is about 2.3kWh. That's about in line with the average of 1 mile per hour.

Other things that can contribute to energy loss while parked:
1) Apps that provide stats about your car battery, which keeps the car awake.
2) Constantly opening the Tesla app, which also wakes the car up and prevents it from going into a deep sleep.
3) After a drive the car will cool the battery down so this uses some energy.

Those are just from the top of my head. I'm sure there's a few other things that might use a lot of battery.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After 8 hours it used up 3% of my battery, which is about 2.3kWh
Thanks for the explanation. That's quite some current draw, which made me wonder if there was heating still on.

My BMW i3 charges to 100% and will sit on that figure for a week or more with no change. So I was a bit alarmed to see a decline from 240 miles to 177 in just two days.

Last night the sentry mode was turned off, but it had still declined a little further overnight. Maybe it is the predicted range that is varying rather than the battery content.

I'm so new I have not yet worked out how to see % charge for the Tesla. Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Robert

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. That's quite some current draw, which made me wonder if there was heating still on.

My BMW i3 charges to 100% and will sit on that figure for a week or more with no change. So I was a bit alarmed to see a decline from 240 miles to 177 in just two days.

Last night the sentry mode was turned off, but it had still declined a little further overnight. Maybe it is the predicted range that is varying rather than the battery content.

I'm so new I have not yet worked out how to see % charge for the Tesla. Any help gratefully appreciated!

Thanks

Robert
Sure.

Go to the settings menu (click on the little car icon at the bottom right corner) -> go to Display -> Scroll down and you should see an option to change the reading from Miles to Energy.

The difference between the Model 3 and the BMW i3 is that the former is so much more tech heavy so it's not surprising that there's more battery drain. With the right settings, the phantom drain should be minimal. There was one occasion when I didn't have to drive my car for 6 days and I calculated the drain was about 0.5% per day, which I was impressed with.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very helpful. Thanks. It would be good to see both the battery % and the range at the same time (this is what the i3 shows). I have not found a way to do that. Presumably, it is not possible?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Tesla didn’t design in low power modes in the hardware for sentry mode which was thought of after the event and a fair bit of the computing has to stay running for it to work. Similar with the general connectivity. There’s no reason I can think of why you couldn’t design the car to shutdown and consume little to no energy like the i3 if you made the right decisions at the start. It doesn’t matter how much tech it has when turned on, you need to be able to turn it off when it’s not needed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Very helpful. Thanks. It would be good to see both the battery % and the range at the same time (this is what the i3 shows). I have not found a way to do that. Presumably, it is not possible?
As far as I know, it's not possible. But who knows, it may very well be an option in a future update. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Kind of.
If you set battery to show as % you can enable the energy graph and see estimated range also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts