Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I've just picked up my first EV, and I'm quite keen to keep a good eye on the amount of energy I am using to keep it charged. I've not had a charging point installed as yet, but when I do, I would like to be able to keep an accurate record of the amount of electricity consumed by just the car charging part of the house electrics.

Can anyone tell me if this is something that can be done easily? I was thinking that a decent energy meter would do the trick? Can anyone make any recommendations at all?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
571 Posts
We use a monitor made by owl from B&Q gives an instant read out of how much power you are consuming. If you have your cost per kWh you can add that and it will work how much in total you have spent. It's limited but better than nothing, I'm hoping to find something that logs more detailed reports, just got order and sneak into the house without @mrssupermegamonkee finding out ;)

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
It depends on who supplies the car charger, but, I have access to two Polar chargers, both of which are reasonably accurate in their electricity usage reports, Which can be downloaded as CSV from the website . (The times given are normally rubbish as they relate to times plugged in , not times on charge.)
I also use equipment from http://www.currentcost.com/ to provide a circuit by circuit readout, to a laptop . For three pin plugs there are several simple gadgets that simple look like an adapter plug but can be set up to record a fair amount of info.
For a rough guide I use the average miles per KWH divided into the mileage.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I use an OWL Intuition, it's got a great web app and mobile app, very customisable, easy (ish) to set up and seems pretty accurate, definitely recommended but a little pricey. You might be able to get the 'solar' version and put the second meter on the charger supply if you can get easy access to it. Mine is straight into the meter box but haven't really tried to monitor it separately yet.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Personally I wouldn't bother with a monitor to determine car use. Instead just get the electrician to install a proper meter, like the one @Kevin Sharpe mentioned, into the circuit from the consumer unit.

I have that very one on my solar PV generation so they must be pretty accurate.

Of course, if you want general household power use monitoring that is a different matter - do that as well :) But for car power use you will be much better off with a proper meter.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I'm happy to read power usage from Polar's ChargeVision website. The times are out but the power usage tallies well with the house totals.

·
Registered
302 Posts
With a Rolec installation it will come with an Emlite meter that you can take readings from and if you are keeping a record along with mileage at the point of meter reading, it is relatively simple to calculate (aslong as you are not doing too much public charging).

You can also request access to an online portal for more accurate readings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts