Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

At the start of the year we picked up a wireless electricity monitor. We both find it a great way to keep tabs on how much power we consume... All those years of my dad telling me "turn those lights off" has rubbed off, well it does when you have to pay for it! ;) Anywho while the Zoe is on charge the meter sits at 7kwh then towards the end part of the charge it ramps down to 4 kWh and then 2kwh as it completes. I guess this is normal, I'm just wondering what the reasoning is behind it? Also do the rapid chargers do the same?

Sorry for the noob question, I am slowly getting my head round it all. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
My Ampera seems to ramp down from 3.3kW to 1.4 kW over 10 minutes at the end of charge with no sign of any balancing going on (see screenshot).
The LEAF on the other hand normally ramps down over about an hour from 3.6 kW to about 500 W with a very spikey power curve near the end, indicating top balancing is happening I think. The attached LEAF charge screenshot shows extended ramp down and balancing? over 2 hrs. This was the first 100% charge after 5 weeks of 80% charges and seems to indicate the 80% charges have let the pack get out of balance. The extended ramp downs got shorter over the following few charges and where back to normal after a week of 100% charges. Maybe this is the reason the 80% charge setting has been discontinued on new LEAFS?
Text Line Font Screenshot Diagram
Text Font Line Screenshot Technology

·
Registered
538 Posts
Ooh, openenergy monitor. I had wondered about building one of those to monitor the EV. Do you have a dedicated CT on the EV circuit?
Yes the beige area on the graphs is fed from a dedicated CT measuring Realpower and Wh to just the cars. I'd like a separate CT for each car when/ if I get another charger fitted.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
We have several monitoring units around our house that give instant readings of current consumption (pun intended). It is useful for checking whether to put on the washing machine when the sun shines, or to wait until midnight timer.
More useful it helps to track down those small but ultimately expensive 'standby' items we all forget to switch off, and to realise that it is cost effective to remove an almost new central heating pump and replace it with an intelligent low consumption version. (10 watts as opposed to 60-80 watts.)
It has helped us to fine tune our house until it costs 1/3 rd to run as compared to my much smaller mother-in -laws. Well worth buying.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts