Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three newish Engenie Rapids within 10 miles and whilst I don't need them I thought it would be prudent to try one out to check ease of use in case I needed to use one on a road trip. So I visited one and tried the ad-hoc contactless system. Credit Card accepted and plug selected. Plug car in and hit start. Screen said wait - so waited. Then announced failed to charge. Tried again this time using a Debit Card. Same result. Went back to CC and gave it another go, and another fail, then remembered the advice about insanity and trying the same thing umpteen times and expecting a different result so slunk away. Later in a routine banking enquiry, I saw that they had pre-authorised 3 x £29 from my accounts which took that cash from my spending ability. And then took 4 days to release those funds.

I thought that it might have been an issue over ad-hoc use so I decided to register on the site and obtain an Engenie card so that I could try their monthly account route. The card arrived a week later so I went to one of the other Rapids to do battle again. Almost identical result but this time using their RFID card twice and a CC on contactless once. So I rang the help-line to see what I was doing wrong. The guy took me step by step through precisely what I had already been doing and had the same failure. Tried again - and again. He re-booted the unit from the mother ship. Then he got me to unlock and lock the car. Switch the car on and off. Roll my trouser leg up and face East. Hold my mouth in a funny way. And eventually to hit the emergency button. That locked the plug into my car with the machine dead. Hmmm.

I unlocked the emergency button and he re-booted it again. Then locked and unlocked the car using the key fob which released the plug. Needless to say, I 'explained' to the guy that I hadn't been impressed by their shiny machines so far and would be avoiding their network in future. Especially as they had once again locked away £87 of my funds for a few days.

But it has left me wondering if in fact it is their Rapids that are at fault - or my Ioniq.

I know that CCS can be an issue on ancient EcoT Rapids. But I never expected the same problems with such new equipment. I have emailed them to see if they can offer any solution and await their reply.

Has anybody else encountered similar problems with the Ioniq / Engenie interface?

Or able to offer any advice just in case I do need to use one at some time in the future.

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tried again at an Engenie unit. This time in St Helens. It worked flawlessly from one touch of the card and a 'start' button. Encouraged I went back to the others down the A580 to try again. Both failed again. A follow-up email sent to their help desk.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,294 Posts
I’ve found the same on a couple of Engenie units on the e-Golf.

I do think it’s their chargers, and the £29 pre authorisation is frankly ridiculous.

It’s taken me 3 attempts the few times I’ve used them, and involving changing charging units in all cases as well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
In the last year, I've tried 3 different Engenie chargers (Chademo). Each time I've had major problems getting them first to work, and then to actually stop. They definitely didn't seem to like any of my cards, meaning each time I had to ring up. On 1 occasion, the whole unit and the adjacent one switched off completely with a loud bang.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I had a heck of a rapid hunt fun in the e-Golf on the way back from Hull, id actually been plugged into a fast charger at The Deep, but my son decided he’d had enough before I’d managed to get the 80 odd miles of range I needed to get home, I had 60 indicates to cover 65 and it was Storm Dennis day. first a Rapid charger in Hull Marina (Polar) wouldn’t connect, next attempt was was an Engenie 3 miles away at a Marston’s Pub that started to charge and then quit after 30 seconds three times, couldn’t switch charger as an Outlander was plugged in (but finished) to the other unit. Finally managed to get on an Engie charger in Pontefract that took 3 attempts to connect (by this time I was down to 11 miles of range). First time I’ve had multiple rapids fail on me (but also first time in a CCS car, I’ve been living the charmed CHAdeMO life previously).

·
Registered
7,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm getting a bad feeling about planning Engenie stops. I am still awaiting comments from them about my recent experiences. I may copy over recent comments in here ( after deleting forum names ) so that they can be made aware that my own issues are far from unique. I'll wait a few days in case there are more people pitching in with similar discussions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts