Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checked the Engenie website and it does finally say that you have to pay.

"Follow these on-screen instructions at the charger to charge your car.

You can pay easily by contactless credit/debit card or ApplePay tap-and-go.

Currently an Engenie charge costs a £4 flat rate. This is just for a few months before we introduce our PAYG tariff, where you’ll only pay for what you use, in kWh."

The free lunch is over.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hooray! Some more rapids become usable.

Hurry up Lidl and do the same.
I have used Eugenie several times when traveling around the country - never, ever, had to queue.

So the only difference will be instead of rolling up and immediately having a free charge, you now roll up and have an immediate charge that costs £4!

Still - keeps zap fizzle happy.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,052 Posts
Hurrah! A modest chance that they'll actually be available when I turn up, and a reasonable chance that someone won't come along and end my session!

£4 is going to mean quite a long session, but if it's reliable... May have a chance to check this out tomorrow actually, I'll see...

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to Zap Map, there is one Engenie installation in the whole of the South of England, at Fleet. The next closest one is in Cheshire.
That's right. I live under a mile from it and have sucked down nearly 100 kwh since January. It was especially useful as I had my car for a month before my homecharger could be fitted.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You shouldn't get a long session as parking is limited to one hour whilst charging. So in this cold weather it will be a very expensive charge.
Of course, the parking wardens don't understand and leave the EVs alone to do whatever they want in Congleton (as the owner of the white Zoe who parks there for free for hours on end has discovered)

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
3,052 Posts
You shouldn't get a long session as parking is limited to one hour whilst charging. So in this cold weather it will be a very expensive charge.
Of course, the parking wardens don't understand and leave the EVs alone to do whatever they want in Congleton (as the owner of the white Zoe who parks there for free for hours on end has discovered)
Is it? I've not noticed.

1 hour is a very long rapid charging session anyway frankly! I would expect a 30kWh Leaf to go from nothing to practically full in that time.

Indeed, on the two occasions I've used Congleton before, I've noticed someone there who's been there for a while before I started, and still hadn't returned when I left. Thankfully, paying for charging tends to stop that sort of behaviour.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Well the charger in Wilmslow Sainsbury's is now no longer free. I do wonder how many kWh the Tesla's pulled off there as everytime I went at a weekend there was always at least one there, 3 all charging at one point which meant I was left to trickle at 6kw for 30mins but then as soon as they moved off it was up to DC chadamo town for me!

Be interesting to see what uptake is like as I would have thought £4 for upto 50kwh is a good cheap price... A 24/30kwh leaf, soul and eGolf should get pretty dam full in that time too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.