Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that the Engenie ABB rapid chargers in Cheshire and Fleet are now showing up on the Fortum Charge and Drive backend - as used by EV Driver and Franklin Energy, so I guess they're getting ready to start putting a tariff on them, and I guess it will be true pay-as-you-go as per other systems on Fortum's back-end / payment handling systems.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
They were great while they were free as you don't need to do anything beyond choosing the connector and plugging in the car. Anything more complicated than that is going to feel like a step backward. Their system does at least include the cost of parking while you're charging so that's handy if you don't have change knocking about.

I hope this Fortum Charge & Drive system could update zapmap as it's really useful to just use one place to check for availability.

Engenie website is saying they're currently free until October.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I can't imagine they've much budget for an app given they've only got 6 chargers across 3 locations, the date for bringing in charges has been a bit of a rolling date for the last couple of years.

If they are using the "Charge and Drive" Fortum app it seems it might not be the best user experience.

EDIT - I never knew they had a unit at Fleet, btw none of their chargers show up on their own map anymore.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've nothing against apps as long as they aren't a pile of steaming unusable junk, the Fortum app currently defaults it's location to Oslo, hardly a confidence inspiring start. Only PodPoint seem to take app development seriously, slight rant but I've just had the EH app crash 3 times trying to start a charge which I then had to end by disconnecting the car from the Type-2.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've noticed that the Engenie ABB rapid chargers in Cheshire and Fleet are now showing up on the Fortum Charge and Drive backend - as used by EV Driver and Franklin Energy, so I guess they're getting ready to start putting a tariff on them, and I guess it will be true pay-as-you-go as per other systems on Fortum's back-end / payment handling systems.
Just noticed on that map there is a charger listed for Leeds.

I am unlikely to ever use it, given the resident ULEV scheme, but is this a network/website/app that is worth registering with, please?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just noticed on that map there is a charger listed for Leeds.

I am unlikely to ever use it, given the resident ULEV scheme, but is this a network/website/app that is worth registering with, please?
No subscription fee is required, no pre-payment required, no app required, and they show up on Openchargemap and Zap Map, so if you use them for finding chargers, then you can just rock up and use them; can activate charging on the spot with any reasonable web browser, or if you feel the need to, you can order an RFID.
The one in Leeds isn't actually Engenie, but it's Franklin Energy (who use the same back-end system), and is a 2x22kW AC charge point, in a (somewhat expensive) car park.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
Didn't their website say they were going to charge from end of October? I looked today and there is nothing about imminent charges at all.

App was supposedly going to be ready by end of October so I wonder if they've decided to go straight to contactless and not bother with an app at all?

·
Registered
296 Posts
If they're using the same back end as EV Driver and Franklin, and Engenie's chargers appear on the EV Driver map for example, does that mean that an EV Driver RFID (or app) will work with Engenie chargers?

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If they're using the same back end as EV Driver and Franklin, and Engenie's chargers appear on the EV Driver map for example, does that mean that an EV Driver RFID (or app) will work with Engenie chargers?
It certainly appears on the EVDriver map with a button you can click on for "charge now" - I haven't actually tried clicking it....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I just used one of the two Engenie chargers at Nantwich all four bays in use, a Tesla, My Soul a Volvo Estate and a Leaf.

I thought the Tesla was bay blocking because there was nothing showing on the screen and I did not realise multiple cars could charge at once but on pushing the related button on the screen it was drawing about 6kw so may have been there for quite a while and near the end of its charge

The parking attendant thought so too I could see he was itching to stick a ticket on it!

I guess these units are 50KW so I got the remaining 44KW from the rapid.

All on free vend with one hour max stay included in the charging price!

That's pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I guess it's a handy parking spot for going into town for a hour or so, when I've used them I'm either going through on route to Holyhead so have about 30 mins and I'm off or if I'm visiting Nantwich I charge and then move to a paid spot (btw iirc Sunday is free anyway).

Interesting that they are still on freevend, seems they are always pushing switching to payments back.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,401 Posts
They were looking at contactless the last time I asked. They have ordered the gubbins to go on the chargers. They seem to find money out of the cracks of the sofa on a regular basis so I have no idea what is going on with them.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well all I can say is I am thankful I got a charge, I took a gamble diverting into a town on a Saturday plus that burnt up my safety margin & I really expected to have a bit of a wait or worse find them completely Iced

Anyway I can't grumble that's one ebay purchase collected and the travel was effectively free
Never in a million years did I ever think I would be saying that! even when fuel was < 10/- a gallon

·
Registered
223 Posts
A slot based card reader has been fitted to the unit in Fleet at some point in the past 2 days. It not active yet but it suggests that they might be finally gearing up to charging a tariff, although there was no pin pad unlike most terminals

1 - 16 of 16 Posts