Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engenie are changing their name and are starting an APP.
That seems odd as their present contactless has been brilliant. It will give a cheaper tariff oh joy.
Is this progress or a step back let’s see how good their APP will be.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
673 Posts
It's a backward step IMHO. The Apps are less reliable than RFID. Contactless PAYG is the only thing I want to see (Instavolt model).

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,125 Posts
They will still be doing contactless. They're doing an app too. I assume contactless card payment costs eat into what they can charge so they could offer a lower rate if someone is paying via an app.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think of this the same as the BP or Shell apps refuelling apps. They don't change the existing behaviour, but it offers an optimisation for people that use it a lot.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
673 Posts
They will still be doing contactless. They're doing an app too. I assume contactless card payment costs eat into what they can charge so they could offer a lower rate if someone is paying via an app.
But the app needs a payment method. Same costs.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
As above, the contactless will be staying but the app will offer a lower rate, which im all for. having an app and being able to get everything ready when its peeing it down and windy in the pitch black of night so i can just jump out and plug in is so much better than faffing with my card to tap to pay and waiting for authorisation :(

I've been doing this lark for too many miles and a few years now, companies should offer both and i berate Polar for their stupid rfid as its just as bad and poor touchscreens for selection.
For all EH's issues they got some things right, like buttons, and an app that can get it all authorised while your in the car.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,104 Posts
But the app needs a payment method. Same costs.
I've not looked into this so don't know if this is the route they are going down... But perhaps they are doing a top-up wallet rather than direct payment for each use? If you top up say £20 at a time it's one transaction compared to someone just doing a splash and dash of a few kWh to make it home for a pound or two. This is the same way Polar Instant works and if so I can see how they can save a bit of money.

They also get to keep remaining balances of abandoned accounts from people who only needed to charge once.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GT Line R135
222 Posts
If you use autocharge on Fastned, they do a monthly billing cycle and charge that all at once to your card on file.

Infinitely preferable, as far as I’m concerned than having £20 topups languishing on half a dozen charging networks that I may or may not have forgotten about.

Also, there was already a thread for this 😉

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why all this worry about the cost (to the provider) of contactless payment? All they need to do is pass that cost onto customers. Thats what all other businesses do.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
If you use autocharge on Fastned, they do a monthly billing cycle and charge that all at once to your card on file.

Infinitely preferable, as far as I’m concerned than having £20 topups languishing on half a dozen charging networks that I may or may not have forgotten about.

Also, there was already a thread for this 😉

That only works with CCS i believe as how to do it with Chademo has aluded them :(

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Why all this worry about the cost (to the provider) of contactless payment? All they need to do is pass that cost onto customers. Thats what all other businesses do.
Yes they do, and hence having the two options is good. if you dont mind a topup to knock say 5p/kwh then why not?

·
Registered
612 Posts
They also get to keep remaining balances of abandoned accounts from people who only needed to charge once.
Thats always been the problem I have. Its unreasonable to expect customers to deposit £10s for 5 or 6 providers just in case you need them. Are there any other reputable businesses that use this model?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes they do, and hence having the two options is good. if you dont mind a topup to knock say 5p/kwh then why not?
They do at present but it creates an extraordinary situation where you have to deposit money with multiple providers just in case you need them. It is generally agreed that what most EV drivers want is contactlsss bank card payment.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
They do at present but it creates an extraordinary situation where you have to deposit money with multiple providers just in case you need them. It is generally agreed that what most EV drivers want is contactlsss bank card payment.
They can do but how many would you really deposit some cash into?
I have 2, one geniepoint and one Podpoint. and im taking just £2 left in each so no biggy for me.

I suggested long ago Enginie could do this to help cut costs and make things easier and others did too and it looks like they listened as us that do a fair mileage like the ease and cost reduction it brings.

keep your tap to pay and faff for when its peeing down, freezing cold and blowing a gale after dark when trying to touch the screen to select stuff and make sure it accepts the card and all. I'll just start the charge or pre auth from the app and then nip out, plug in and press start. and save money as well.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Why would you do that? If your not going to use them then don't deposit the money. If you know you'll have to charge at one then deposit enough to cover your charge cost and job done..most have £10 minimum and by god on podpoint that's lasted me nearly 3 yrs so I'm happy with that 🤣

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the new app account will charge £4 for a session fixed then at a later date once system is available at price per kWh but NO up front payment.

At present I have 14 apps and six rfd cards to purchase about £500 of electricity per year often at 30 pence a unit.. I don’t want more apps this is like the lunatics running the asylum just crazy.
Contactless with nothing else is the customers choice and one day I hope electricity ceiling price like pre payment meters in houses comes into force. (Now I’m really going crazy)

It’s cheaper to have electricity delivered to your house than go out and collect it from a machine. This is the only product I know of that does this in UK. Drinks in pubs are more expensive than drinking at home but they provide extrass including heating seats toilets etc etc not a box in a dark wet car park.

Rant over feel better for that.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Buying electric not at your house comes with an extra, a whopping big rapid charger... unless you install one at home of course....

I have nothing against apps, they sit in a little folder and get used if i need them, i rarely need to use more than 1 in a month and i cover a lot of miles so how your using so many and rfids as well is beyond me, your use case must be verging on the extra unique to be like that. even with the i3/egolf i had i just used the polar one a lot and not EH....

·
Registered
2020 Vauxhall Corsa-e Elite Nav 7kw
37 Posts
Personally don't see the issue with a company expanding their payment options. Some people will prefer an app, some people contactless. Perhaps the app will be helpful for those who need receipts for their employer, or those that like to keep track of exactly how much they're spending and what it got them.

As long as they keep the contactless option (which they are - they have to - and have already committed to that) then that's great.

I view it like when I used to pull up to a Shell petrol station. I had the option of using the Shell Go app to pay, or visiting the till in the shop and paying directly. I always chose paying directly, of course, but I wasn't angry that they also offered an app for those who wanted it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I buy about 5000 miles of fuel for my electric car away from home and last tax year it was £472 according to my accounts. Rest is at home that’s why I buy a car. It’s not a drive ornament, it’s an essential.
Just want easy fast contactless. Life’s too short.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts