Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the notice today that Engenie have put their prices up on their fixed price chargers to £6/hr now.

Now for a while I've been trying with them to see sense and do it by 30mim block for half the price as they would get more users than those with big batteries who can take full advantage for an hour. I seem to think they would rather the sites got less use than drop the price 😥

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
It's down to ABB. They can't apparently do a per kWh charge via contactless on those machines. They're hassling ABB to sort it out. That's why it's a fixed price. Maybe it can't join multiple sessions either so a 30 minute session that over ran would be charged as one flat 30 minutes rather than as double?

17kWh is the cross over point where it's beneficial to pay the £6.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the 30min sessions its still Tap To Pay, but at the 30min deadline you would do what they do with the 1hr one...
Stop the charge at the charger. It doesn't carry on like EH ones for say anything from 45-50mins. it stops dead.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
That would be annoying with the shorter time session as it means going back to the charger and having to restart it if you wanted the hour. It would be a total pain.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
That would be annoying with the shorter time session as it means going back to the charger and having to restart it if you wanted the hour. It would be a total pain.
Any timed session charging tariff is for the benefit of the network and really mostly unusable by the user. EcoT tried this and soon had to change their ideas. Hopefully Engenie will also see sense.

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I simply refuse to give my money and time to any operator who charges by time. Fuel for my car should be like petrol for another. A measurable quantity in exchange for a quoted price. Would Shell get away with charging by the minute to use a pump? It would be contrary to all known trading standards. I just want to know how much I will get for my £ before plugging in. Is that too much to ask?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
All the other Engenie ones are per kWh as they are later ones. It's just these few sites with the old ones that are the per session.

Engenie can't 'see sense' as it's ABB that are the issue. Their older chargers can't charge per kWh via contactless for some weird reason. Unless they throw away those chargers for new ones which seems rather wasteful for the sake of a firmware update. They can't make them free either as they'll be hogged by selfish gits.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How big is your battery?

And its not ABB seeing sense, Engenie can change the price & Time...

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
It's always been an hour. I'd assume they've done their research and most people have preferred the one hour time.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
Except the ones who only want to stop a few minutes to get home and only need 6 kWh's which will now cost them £1 per kWh.
Then you wouldn't stop there or you'd pay up and hang around for an hour to get a decent charge if you didn't want to pay £1 a kWh. There's more choice of chargers now than there used to be. No-one off MSAs is held to ransom unless you are in deepest, darkest Wales.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem is the locations literally have the market locked in. There are some near me and there are no other rapids for miles. I have no qualms with this when pricing is fair and the 30min price/time point would be perfect for most people I have talked to at those sites. The only ones bothered were Tesla drivers with big batteries. Everyone else is fine with 30mins while shopping.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,222 Posts
If nobody else has put any rapids in that would suggest the demand isn't there.... There are lots of supermarkets and town centre car parks near me and none have rapids at all either. There isn't even 7kw chargers. The Tesco in Congleton has got some podpoint 7kw ones. No idea what they cost.

I think my nearest are both Polars at 5 or 8 miles away or a Shell. The Shell ones are 30p a kWh if you use the New Motion card and they usually take about 3 months to get payment!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,158 Posts
If nobody else has put any rapids in that would suggest the demand isn't there.... There are lots of supermarkets and town centre car parks near me and none have rapids at all either. There isn't even 7kw chargers. The Tesco in Congleton has got some podpoint 7kw ones. No idea what they cost.

I think my nearest are both Polars at 5 or 8 miles away or a Shell. The Shell ones are 30p a kWh if you use the New Motion card and they usually take about 3 months to get payment!
IIRC, 7kW chargers in Tesco carparks are paid for by Tesco themselves (ie. Free for customer use)

·
Super Moderator
11,980 Posts
Yes, they are supported by advertising. Free == hogged..... Not worth the hassle for the amount of charge I'd get during a weekly shop.

I'm also a recent convert to click and collect. I doubt I'll go back to shopping in store.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
IIRC, 7kW chargers in Tesco carparks are paid for by Tesco themselves (ie. Free for customer use)
Have you used them yet? Every time I use the one's in Longton or Meir I can't get more than the 15 minutes as I can't establish a connection to PodPoint. I have data turned on and can get into the app and find the charger, but no connection.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,381 Posts
Yes, they are supported by advertising. Free == hogged..... Not worth the hassle for the amount of charge I'd get during a weekly shop.

I'm also a recent convert to click and collect. I doubt I'll go back to shopping in store.
The ones near me are fairly new and are usually empty (especially at the moment). I've always been able to pull onto one of the four available.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Well, at the moment it's academic for me as I have a weekly shop delivered from Sainsbury's while there is any risk out there, but I really don't see the point in 7kW charge points at a supermarket. You are going to spend, what, 30 minutes tops doing a shop, and the supermarket is going to be close to your home charge point anyway. Hardly warrants the hassle of getting the cable out of the boot, TBH.

Though I have used one in a local pay-on-exit underground car park occasionally when I am going to be some time (e.g. a visit to Specsavers :), or M&S for clothes and café), as the free charge pays for the parking fee. (Those were the days, eh, when you could go shopping and have a coffee out!)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

The main problem is a 3hr time limit on parking in most of them so not much use bar for those shopping for 30+mins

1 - 20 of 30 Posts