Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ENGIE will deliver 1,000 50kW rapid chargers to Premier Inn hotels around the UK. This will be the biggest roll-out of high-power EV chargers in the hospitality sector.

Whitbread – owner of the Premier Inn hotels, as well as Beefeater and Brewers’ Fayre restaurants – has appointed ENGIE to install these GeniePoint chargers. Currently, there are 600 committed across 300 hotels over the next three years. Access to these charging points will be for guests, as well as the public through the GeniePoint Network.

Business secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng said: “Just as the Government is accelerating efforts to support EV and battery manufacturing in the UK, we must also ensure the public can access high-power charging points at their convenience.

“This fantastic initiative between two great companies will allow for stress-free electric vehicle charging when we are able to visit our favourite pubs and restaurants again – allowing consumers to charge up while encouraging others to make that all-important switch to electric.”

Convenience is going to become increasingly important to electric vehicle drivers, especially as more make the switch from ICE vehicles. Charging points in locations such as hotels, pubs, restaurants, and retail parks not only give EV drivers a chance to top-up but it draws people to those locations, too.

Simon Leigh, procurement director at Premier Inn said: “We know that ‘range anxiety’ is a real concern for many of our guests who own electric cars. Knowing that in many locations they will soon be able to arrive and have access to a high-speed charge point to quickly refuel their car while they relax and refuel themselves will be a great source of comfort.

“A combination of our excellent locations and guests being able to wake up knowing they can safely get back on the road again means Premier Inn and ENGIE are the perfect partners for these charge points.”

ENGIE will begin installing the Premier Inn chargers in March, with the first scheduled in Enfield, London.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
Hopefully they are also planning to install banks of 7kW chargers, which would probably me more useful and less hassle for hotel customers who could then just park up and plug in until the morning, without usually having to bother about keeping an eye on the charge status and then moving the car once it’s charged, as they will with a rapid.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Hopefully they are also planning to install banks of 7kW chargers, which would probably me more useful and less hassle for hotel customers who could then just park up and plug in until the morning, without usually having to bother about keeping an eye on the charge status and then moving the car once it’s charged, as they will with a rapid.
Yes I would say have 2 rapids and 10 type 2 as a starting point for any new setup.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It depends on the units they deploy. If they can do AC charging at the same time as DC, then overnight guests could charge with AC, leaving the DC for short-term visitors.. but don't Geniepoint do overstay penalties?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
These places have dozens of drivers staying for at least 8 hours, often more. The choice of a couple rapids over a dozen 11kW does leave me scratching my head a little!

Of more use to the passing motorist than a guest, and the passing motorist would probably rather be somewhere else anyway.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts
having to bother about keeping an eye on the charge status and then moving the car once it’s charged
but don't Geniepoint do overstay penalties?
Yes they do. It would be far better to have a dozen or so 11 kW and 2 rapids. None EV owner thinking again. How can we make the most PR. :eek: :eek: :sleep:

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
These places have dozens of drivers staying for at least 8 hours, often more. The choice of a couple rapids over a dozen 11kW does leave me scratching my head a little!

Of more use to the passing motorist than a guest, and the passing motorist would probably rather be somewhere else anyway.
The passing motorist can eat in the adjoining pub. So the rapids attract more trade.

The inn needs 24 or so 7Kw. AC chargers and growing to a maximum of one per room eventually.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
The passing motorist can eat in the adjoining pub. So the rapids attract more trade.

The inn needs 24 or so 7Kw. AC chargers and growing to a maximum of one per room eventually.
They can, I suppose. I do wonder how many EV drivers actually eat in these pubs, and how many of those do it because they want to vs getting shoehorned into it because that's where the charger is!

·
Registered
275 Posts
For overnight stays better 10x3.6kW than 5x7kW, but I doubt it'll happen. The guests arriving at 5pm will nab the rapids. I can imagine a couple of Ipaces, will be parked on them for hours.
Geniepoint also have a Type2 Rapid, so no doubt there'll also be Phevs plugging in
GeniePoint have overstay fees.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
313 Posts
This is very welcome news, I used to stay in them a lot for work and they're my preferred leisure stay because I usually have my bike with me and they let me put it in the room. Geniepoint enforce overstay fees, so anyone plugging in their PHEV then going to bed will have a bit of a shock.

Rapids make a lot of sense for Premier Inn given that almost all have a standalone restaurant sharing the site with customers from early morning for breakfast (a surprising amount of their breakfast trade is non-residents) through lunch until late at night.

Ultimately hotel charging about how much money it costs (or makes) the hotel and the hassle it causes them. Rapids are minimum disruption, providers cover the cost of install and usually pay something ongoing for the use of the spaces and electricity. It ticks the box for people staying who want EV charging, and it can attract people passing who need a charge and might stay for a meal or at least a coffee. Short charge times and overstay fees mean you can probably please more people more of the time. Most people who need a charge can get one at some point during their time at the hotel.

In contrast, slower charging makes sense for the typical overnight stay but it's not great for the hotel. Most have been a couple of points (zerocarbonworld or tesla destination) at minimal upfront cost but there's rarely a case for providing more with the associated costs - not just electricity but running cables all over the place. If you bill then the overheads mean it costs almost as much as rapid charging. Bays tend to be ICEd or hogged by early arrivers and the hotel needs to deal with disappointed customers who wanted to charge but couldn't. Once EVs are more ubiquitous we might see more new hotels with loads of 7kw but retrofitting is hassle.

Rapid first, then add some slower charging (maybe bookable) in line with demand seems a better model for most hotels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I must say I’m surprised at the amount of negative comments I’m seeing on this - any useful infrastructure should be celebrated not derided. Some EV drivers will never be happy it seems.
It's a forum, not everyone is approaching this thread in the same mindset that you might be. The EV landscape is going through a change and people have different views about what that transition means. I know that now if I stay in a Travel lodge I would like to charge my car. In the future my car might charge so fast or there are so many chargers to hand that this ceases to be a concern.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,923 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
£1 for every 90 minutes.
I suppose it's not so bad if you plug in around midnight and get up at 6 am. Only £3.60 extra :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mostly not reservable. Can't rely on having a full charge in the morning.
Erm, it's £10 after 90mins, then £10 each 90 after. Still, some users will just leave them plugged in overnight..

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
275 Posts
It's a forum, not everyone is approaching this thread in the same mindset that you might be. The EV landscape is going through a change and people have different views about what that transition means. I know that now if I stay in a Travel lodge I would like to charge my car. In the future my car might charge so fast or there are so many chargers to hand that this ceases to be a concern.
I didn’t mean just on this thread, it’s being discussed in multiple locations since the announcement. It seems the go to reaction to any announcement about new infrastructure is “that’s not enough, they need to do xyz”.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
It’s not that people are complaining as such, but rapids are best sited in locations where users are likely to stay for an hour or less. Hotels attract visitors for hours & typically overnight. The point is that rapids cost around £50k to install, 7kW posts significantly less. You could put lots of useful destination charging in place instead for the same money. Everyone wins, lots of availability for multiple EV drivers vs a single charger for one at a time, move it once you’re done even though you’d rather be in bed etc...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts