Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I’ve had my e-2008 about a month now so still getting familiarised with the charging network.

Today I pulled up at a Engie public charging point where there were two spaces, one already is use using a chademo connection.
I parked in the second space and attempted to charge via CCS but when I went to start charge via the engie site it CCS was not available.

So basically I’m just trying to find out if this is normal and if chademo is in use you can not use CCS?? Or have a just caught the engie site having a blip.

Thanks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 GT Line 135 CCS
638 Posts
As far as I know, most chargers only have power for either Chademo or CCS.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
As far as I know, most chargers only have power for either Chademo or CCS.
According to the engie web site ENGIE Chargepoint Network
"All chargepoints include multiple DC and AC connectors so no matter what your car, you’re covered. Two drivers are able to charge simultaneously at each site 24/7."
This strongly implies both Chademo and CCS can charge at the same time...

I see from zapmap that at WF16 9LQ the engie charging point has Chademo ok but CCS out of action, there may be others with the same issue.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Generally it's only one AC and one DC Connection together. Not 2 DC Connections. Engie chargers I think are the same as Geniepoint - Mostly EVbox chargers. On the Geniepoint network I know that those units are definitely only capable of 1 AC and 1 DC, not 2 DC.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts
And there in lies the rub,
only capable of 1 AC and 1 DC, not 2 DC
Why they can't load balance the two DC charge points is very strange as presumably they balance the 22kW AC and the DC?

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
And there in lies the rub,

Why they can't load balance the two DC charge points is very strange as presumably they balance the 22kW AC and the DC?
Probebly the architecture of the charger - much simpler/cheaper to have one charger that switches its output between the two connectors that two independent chargers, which would need quite a lot more circuitry

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
859 Posts
I was in the Leeds area in October with my Zoe heading to the coast for a short break and had to contact their customer services regarding charging.
A driver of an ipace was using the CCS but he explained that I could use the type 2 at the same time. Had a little issue connecting and contacted customer services who were brilliant and soon had me charging on type 2 while the ipace remained charging. During the conversation with customer services they stated that it was not possible to use the CCS and Chademo at the same time but either one of those with the type 2 was fine.

·
Registered
879 Posts
According to the engie web site ENGIE Chargepoint Network
"All chargepoints include multiple DC and AC connectors so no matter what your car, you’re covered. Two drivers are able to charge simultaneously at each site 24/7."
This strongly implies both Chademo and CCS can charge at the same time...

I see from zapmap that at WF16 9LQ the engie charging point has Chademo ok but CCS out of action, there may be others with the same issue.
They don't know their own units. One dc connection at a time, as others have said above. That's how the units are built.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The only charger I’ve come across that can handle multiple concurrent DC charge sessions is the Alfapower 100kW one on (the somewhat insalubrious) Bristol Street in Leeds. That can handle four concurrent connections, load balanced between Chademo, CCS, 43kW AC & a 22kW AC socket. It’s how all new rapids should work, it is crazy that you need to queue for a charger that has a spare connector. On the Alfa charger it does make sense that you could have two DC at 50kW, so there’d be no loss of charge speed for Chademo at least.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
The only charger I’ve come across that can handle multiple concurrent DC charge sessions is the Alfapower 100kW one on (the somewhat insalubrious) Bristol Street in Leeds. That can handle four concurrent connections, load balanced between Chademo, CCS, 43kW AC & a 22kW AC socket. It’s how all new rapids should work, it is crazy that you need to queue for a charger that has a spare connector. On the Alfa charger it does make sense that you could have two DC at 50kW, so there’d be no loss of charge speed for Chademo at least.
View attachment 137414
Once you get above 50kW, a number of the faster units are capable of sharing across both Chademo and CCS Together. It's not just the Rolec/Delta one you mentioned above. The Circontrol Raption 150 can share 150kW to 75 on each connector, and the new style DBT chargers can do all 3 connections at the same time (22kW each on the 50kW units, or 50+50+43kW on the 150kW units - Though annoyingly if only 2 are plugged in it can't share at 75kW each!)

Unfortunately at the moment 50kW units are very much the norm and networks still don't seem to have decided what make/model of charger works best for them yet. Hopefully we eventually end up with just a small selection of different chargers so everyone knows how to use them, and we only get the reliable ones that don't constantly break down and support more advanced features like load balancing as mentioned above.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,688 Posts
This is often as much a layout problem as anything else. Instavolt seem to have got it right with one charger for one space. You park in the space and can use either chademo or ccs. There’s no suggestion you can have multiple cars on a charger.... because you can’t.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts
Probebly the architecture of the charger - much simpler/cheaper to have one charger that switches its output between the two connectors that two independent chargers, which would need quite a lot more circuitry
Probably at the point that it would be more cost effective to have two separate units - one for each DC standard - as they already have to build in both the protocols and connectors.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Interesting - it could be controversial depending on how load sharing works with charge points that can do it.

If I'd arrived and was charging at 150kW and I return to the car and find it only half-charged because someone else had connected just after I left I could be a bit miffed. Of course, if it waits until the first connection starts to taper, or shares power that the 1st car can't absorb then all is fine.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
... Alfapower 100kW one... can handle four concurrent connections, load balanced between Chademo, CCS, 43kW AC & a 22kW AC socket. It’s how all new rapids should work...
View attachment 137414
Hmmm, if 4 randomly-chosen EVs all turned up at that charger at the same instant, and let's be generous & assume one each of Chad, CCS, 43Kw, 22 Kw sockets, what are the chances you could actually arrange the EVs so that all 4 could actually plug in & charge simultaneously? Close to zero, I'd imagine.

The bottleneck is surely the grid supply & capacity, not the provision of cabinets, cables & plugs, plus another slight bottleneck is parking space/access/ability to get said cables to reach. So far more sensible imho, as said above, to use the supply capacity for this monster & split over 4 standalone units, even if those units became lower-power when all in use.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Interesting - it could be controversial depending on how load sharing works with charge points that can do it.

If I'd arrived and was charging at 150kW and I return to the car and find it only half-charged because someone else had connected just after I left I could be a bit miffed. Of course, if it waits until the first connection starts to taper, or shares power that the 1st car can't absorb then all is fine.
That's not how they work. These load sharing chargers work by having multiple modules inside of them. Let's say there are 2 modules in a 150kW charger. That means one module per output if sharing. If you start charging at up to 150kW, you will do so until someone plugs in alongside you. After that point you will instantly be put to a max of 75kW on each connector, even if the second car that plugged in is a LEAF suffering from #RapidGate and pulling only 22kW.

This is often as much a layout problem as anything else. Instavolt seem to have got it right with one charger for one space. You park in the space and can use either chademo or ccs. There’s no suggestion you can have multiple cars on a charger.... because you can’t.
Most of the new Instavolt installs are doing their own form of load sharing. They install 2x62kW chargers, but that is a shared limit. If a car plugs in to the charger beside you then you're going to be limited to about 31kW each at some of their locations with power issues. Similar sort of thing to the Tesla superchargers, except with much lower power.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,412 Posts

As you say, controversial. There has been a suggestion that destination Fast chargers should work on this principle with double the number of posts but load sharing potentially down from 7.2kW to 3.6kW when they are all in use.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,688 Posts
Most of the new Instavolt installs are doing their own form of load sharing. They install 2x62kW chargers, but that is a shared limit. If a car plugs in to the charger beside you then you're going to be limited to about 31kW each at some of their locations with power issues. Similar sort of thing to the Tesla superchargers, except with much lower power.
That approach makes the most sense to me. The available supply is load balanced across the chargers, but the arrangement of one charger to a bay doesn't make it appear there's an available charge point, when there isn't.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
As you say, controversial. There has been a suggestion that destination Fast chargers should work on this principle with double the number of posts but load sharing potentially down from 7.2kW to 3.6kW when they are all in use.
Elmtronics AC posts already do this. Networks like GeniePoint, Hubsta and CYC use quite a few of these on their new installs. They're handy in some places like park and rides, train stations, hotels etc. but a true pain in the butt at some shorter stay locations since it can make the difference between making it home or having to find a rapid charger along the way.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
753 Posts
I use the Engie stations and usually get just under 50kw. The one time someone was using the 22kw AC at the same time I came back to the car to find it had only been charging at 28kw. I assume that’s how it’s setup to work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts