1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Hello,

Any ideea what this might be?
The car works normal!

thanks
That's the standard engine management light. It pops up to advise that an error has been logged. What that error is could be pretty much anything.

If you want to find out what the issue is without paying for a garage you need to get an ODB reader (£15 on eBay) and the free app 'Torque' for your smartphone. Then you can interrogate the car to find out what issue is.

The most common fault is that the charge port door didn't spring open when you pressed the button in the door. If this was the cause the light will go out by itselfin a few days.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the standard engine management light. It pops up to advise that an error has been logged. What that error is could be pretty much anything.

If you want to find out what the issue is without paying for a garage you need to get an ODB reader (£15 on eBay) and the free app 'Torque' for your smartphone. Then you can interrogate the car to find out what issue is.

The most common fault is that the charge port door didn't spring open when you pressed the button in the door. If this was the cause the light will go out by itselfin a few days.
Thank you for your answer. Yes it could be the door. Yesterday I installed the charger in my garage and it was the first time in the last month when I opened the door and pluged in the charger for few seconds only to see if it works.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,547 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much of it appearing once providing the car is running normally. It should go out with a full charge or two. If it remains after a couple of full charges then it might be worth investigating further.

·
Registered
68 Posts
+1 to the other answers. I got this light quite frequently and it was always following a couple of failed attempts at getting the charging flap open.

It's odd, as the car will give you a meaningful "Vehicle Message" for just about anything that can go wrong with the car (or not wrong - I'm looking at you, Service bloody Steering Lock), so I've never really understood why this particular scenario doesn't have one.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,547 Posts
Now that @RichardA mentions it. I recall reading somewhere that if, after pushing the button to open the flap, the release solenoid does not return to the 'parked' position within so many milliseconds then it 'times out' and calls for the EML to be illuminated.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Deffo get yourself an OBDII dongle. Viecar 4.0 about £15 on Amazon's a decent one. The cheapo ELM 327 £5 can be a bit flakey. E.g. if EML light is on, that's an MOT failure, even if it's something trivial! Quite a few of the errors can be cleared safely with these dongles, saving an expensive trip to dealer. And a slightly serious error can throw up any of a million error codes, and these can be looked up in the Volt Service Manual you can download off internet, 75MB pdf, and this can save you a shedload of money sometimes. Try this link:
2012 Chevrolet Volt Opel Ampera Service Manual.pdf

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
If you have the sticky charge door problem, consider putting a flap of PVC insulating tape on the inside, protruding about 1cm outside, the same colour as the paint. To open flap, press tape-edge in gently, then press fob-open, and as the pin clicks, use flap to pull door open. Works in all weathers, even if rubbery bits are a bit iced-up or super-stiff with cold.

Interestingly, if this times out 'coz you failed to open door, you just retry. You don't get the EML lit. But using the inside-the-drivers-door button, if that one times out, you do get the EML lit! Go figure...

There have been occasional breakages of the feeble plastic pin in the charge-port door, so my way of opening it takes all the pressure off the pin as the motor retracts it. Am hoping mine never snaps. Costly to fix I believe, dealer's sure to try to flog you an entire new actuator assy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts