Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got back from holiday (without the Volt) and this was the screen that welcomed me back:

In fact the 10 minutes was an overestimate: it only ran the engine for about 0.7 miles.

Have any of the other UK owners managed to trigger engine maintenance mode or am I the first? I don't expect to see that screen again for a while as I'm going to try to find an excuse for some longer trips.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Duncan said:
Got back from holiday (without the Volt) and this was the screen that welcomed me back:

In fact the 10 minutes was an overestimate: it only ran the engine for about 0.7 miles.

Have any of the other UK owners managed to trigger engine maintenance mode or am I the first? I don't expect to see that screen again for a while as I'm going to try to find an excuse for some longer trips.
Hi Duncan, have covered 1500 miles since May only using electric, approx. 4 weeks ago my car performed engine maintenance for just under a mile and then on Thursday last week it performed it again. So looks like if you use no petrol the maintenance programme is running every month. hope this helps.....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes my Volt also went into Engine Maintenance Mode last Thursday.
Engine was on for about 3 minutes.
I've done about 1300 miles on battery only.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
Guys, I have tried to phrase this question so it doesn't sound rude, so please don't take it that way...

As you have been able to drive without using any petrol, I am interested to know why you choose the Volt over the cheaper (and longer EV range) Nissan Leaf or Renault Fluence?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
As you have been able to drive without using any petrol, I am interested to know why you choose the Volt over the cheaper (and longer EV range) Nissan Leaf or Renault Fluence?
For me it is about having the capability. If someone never has any need for longer trips then the Ampera is not the best car for them but most people would never use petrol for most days but then will have occasional need for a longer trip. That applies very much to us.

I suspect that some people will find that they never have the requirement for longer trips and they may switch to an all electric EV next time.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
proddick said:
Guys, I have tried to phrase this question so it doesn't sound rude, so please don't take it that way...

It just happens that I didn't use any significant petrol over that period, but that was more luck than judgement. I had a business meeting that would have involved driving beyond the battery range, but it got rescheduled twice and finally changed into a phone call instead. Also I had one trip where the ICE did cut in about 200 metres from home (so not enough to delay the EMM cycle) but there's no problem driving right up to the limit of the battery range.

We're going to be away overnight this weekend: if I can charge then I won't use petrol, if I can't then I will. I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to charge, but I don't need to worry until we get where we're going.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
@Paul C

My question was aimed at those who had used no petrol, I think you have used quite a bit based on your lifetime mpg ;-)

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
@Duncan

Thanks, interesting info - fingers crossed you can charge at your overnight stop and keep it up

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
@proddick

Your question applies to all Ampera owners because we are all potentially in the position of not using petrol for long periods. I suspect that if it is your only car then the vast majority of people will use no petrol for long periods but still need the capability to go further. That is why we have an Ampera and not a 100% EV.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
@Paul C

It was my question and I wanted to understand if those two drivers would be using petrol more in the future.

If someone does not need to use petrol for long periods they could buy a "real" EV and just hire a car for the occasions they make longer journeys. This is exactly the model that BMW will be using when they market their EV and Renault may (on a softer basis) do it with the Zoe.

Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
It was my question and I wanted to understand if those two drivers would be using petrol more in the future.
Sorry but it might have been your question but once it is on the forum it is everybodys question whether you like it or not.

If someone does not need to use petrol for long periods they could buy a "real" EV and just hire a car for the occasions they make longer journeys. This is exactly the model that BMW will be using when they market their EV and Renault may (on a softer basis) do it with the Zoe.
This is the very point I am making and why I am replying to your OP...

This model will not be acceptable to the vast majority of owners. I have spoken to a lot of EV and non-EV owners about this very topic and the impression I get is that theoretically it is possible to rent for long trips it just won't work for most people. It certainly wouldn't work for me and I know I am typical in this view. When I want to do a long trip it normally isn't practical to rent. It is often at very short notice and it often requires a considerable amount of inconvenience in pick up/drop off or collection.

I would prefer to use electric only with the Ampera for 90+% of the time to have the flexibility to go on longer trips at my convenience.

It is very easy to say "rent a car or use the train" but I do not want to do that most of the time and I am certain that the vast majority of others will feel the same.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
The main areas that the government are targeting for EV ownership are cities and large metropolitan areas. In these areas it may be practical for a dealer (e.g. BMW) to setup an easy system to get a long-range (petrol/diesel) car at short notice 24x7.

The obvious way to do this is to use the Zip car model (www.zipcar.co.uk). This way the EV driver could check on-line what cars are available and where. They would simply use their swipe card to get the long-range car and leave the EV in the same space, on charge ready for their return.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Well, that would not work for me and many others. I will never be prepared for that degree of inconvenience and I am sure most others would feel the same.

It could work for a small minority in cities but for the vast majority of people we own cars for personal, easy, instant to use transport. Car share schemes are not going to be acceptable or viable for most people.

I could never see a car share scheme working for me in the same way that I hardly ever use trains unless the trip is an easy one such as Plymouth to London. I would never consider a train to anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
11,048 Posts
Clearly this wouldn't suit you nor me - I regularly work at customer sites where I can't charge and they are beyond the range of any EV on sale currently in the UK. Of course if I could afford a Tesla Model S with the large battery option...

For people who rarely make long journeys this model could suit though - I guess we'll see what BMW offer when they launch their i3

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
For people who rarely make long journeys this model could suit though - I guess we'll see what BMW offer when they launch their i3
I think that is my very point... I don't think it would suit many people except a very small minority in larger cities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For me I chose not to get a pure EV as I might need to occasionally go to our Slough office or on weekends go between Slough and London a few times.

In fact my drive to work is about 21 miles and 21 miles back, I normally get there and back with about 8 miles of range left.
Since Monday with the car heating on I got home with 1 mile left.
In fact on Tue I preconditioned the car and forgot to set it back to eco mode, I ran out of juice on the way home 9 miles from home. The heather uses a lot of power.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Big day today: I bought some petrol. The dealer supplied tank lasted me 2481 miles but I've got a long trip planned later this week so I decided I might as well fill up today instead of waiting. That's another nice thing with the Volt: you don't have to wait until the last minute to fill up if you want to set out with a full tank just top it up anytime a few days before and it'll stay full until you need it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts