Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had the problem of this light coming on while driving (it's a small amber light, like an outline of a car engine, flashes on when you start but then goes off, normally). The handbook says 'fault in emissions control system'. Phoned Vauxhall garage (using Bluetooth linked phone via a voice-activated command after finding the garage n the satnav POI, which all worked well!), who seemed unconcerned, saying they'd had it on other Amperas. It comes on, apparently, if the fuel cap or charge door aren't closed properly. They were closed, so they said it will probably go off on its own after a while. If it doesn't, they said, bring it back in so we can reset it, and see if it comes on again.

Any other experiences of this? Couldn't see anything else on the forum, but I might have missed it ...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Funnily enough mine has recently come on, checked the handbook, saw it was for emissions but I had been using the car on electricity only that day. I had read on here about the filler cap and checked that, light still stayed on. Next day went to use the car and it was off, it is back on now and as the car has to go into the garage to have some photos taken of a paintwork defect they will look at it then. They are also going to attend to 3 rework issues, 2 software updates - 1- I did not recognise what they were talking about, 2- parking brake software and an issue with an armrest (unknown if it is the front or rear one).

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You can try shutting the car down in the normal way. Getting out and closing the doors, locking them with the key and waiting a short while (minute or so) then starting again.

This has been known to clear some faults.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
The check engine light comes on for faults that aren't related to emissions, for example it can come on with a faulty charger. I think all it means is that the car has logged an error so if you take it to a dealer they should be able to tell what error code was actually logged. If it isn't an ongoing fault then it should reset after a couple of charge cycles.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've had this warning light a few times and on the last two occasions I linked it to a "strange" charging situation! once was at a public charge station which I could not seem to get to work and once at home hen my BG / Polar home charger refused to connect up but just gave out a clicking noise. I then connected the EVSE and all charged OK overnight but warning light illuminated for a couple of days and it hasn't done it again since.

As I always left electrical "things" to my father (who was great with it) when I was much younger, I put it down to "Lumpy Volts" in the cable!!!!!!!

Big Paul

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Well after my light going staying off yesterday I went to use the car this morning, first the pre-heating for 10 minutes then went to drive away. Pre-heating had worked but battery was still flat after coming home last night, charging had not worked and light is back on. The thing is I can't remember if the car gave the usual peep of the horn just after I connected it.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Car charged successfully last night and today, after visiting my sister and using a 13 socket to partially charge whilst I was there, the light is back off!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The light has gone off now - reset itself after a couple of days it seems. But looking at other posts here, I think it did come on after trying to use a non-functioning public charging point. Perhaps that's it then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Peter,

See the topic "Little orange engine light" in this section.

I had the same problem after only a couple of hundred miles from new. The dealer suggested to disconnect the 12v battery, wait 30mins and see if that solved it, it didn't so they took it in and "fixed" it in a week.

Their delivery driver said that the light sometimes comes on if you overfill the petrol tank so I stopped brimming it for maximum range but I don't think that was the issue as they would not have kept it for a week.

Andy.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think my son, Pro-Ampera, has discovered a fix for the orange engine light problem. It certainly has worked on my car for about 10 days now.

Those of you with the orange light problem, do you also have a sticking charge door? Mine sticks and I have not had the opportunity to have it fixed with a silicon spray application yet. It would appear that The orange light and sticking charge door are related.

Here is the fix until the sticking charge door is corrected.
When about to charge the car do not use the charge door release button in the drivers door, instead, stand by the charge door, press the release button in the fob and immediately pull the charge door open. Proceed to charge as normal.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Ah! May be that is perhaps one reason why I haven't had the orange light issue. I always use the fob to open the charge door. I got fed up with it sticking all the time that I don't waste my time using the button inside because 9/10 times it sticks in spite of using silicon lubricant spray.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
Handy to know as I too have resorted to using the fob as the flap has stopped opening under the spring power when using the inside button. Something was done the last time it was in the dealership, one of three rework issues carried out, which actually resulted in the flap sticking more. I had complained and asked what had been done but then read on here about the rubber seal causing an issue. After easing the shape of the seal the flap opened and closed a bit easier but it has gone back to sticking. I am just thinking it is the cooler wet weather.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Yes, it's certainly related to wetter, cooler weather. My charge door didn't stick all summer, now it's started again. I also started using the fob plus finger method quite a while back.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
AAAGH! I have finally been afflicted by the dreaded orange malfunction light! I was beginning to feel left out :)

It was accomapnied by the message "Service High Voltage Charging System".

Apparently it might just be a cooling fluid level thing - funny message if it is.

Booked into dealer Thursday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the orange light for the same reason, codes P0A0C and P1E00, it was a sensor for the high voltage battery cooling system, if they have the part in stock it should be done in less than a day.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
They have found a leak in the main battery cooling resulting in low coolant level... hence the warning :)

They have kept the car to resolve the issue and arranged a hire car from Enterprise for me although I have been told I have to pay the £12.50 per day collision damage waiver which I think is a bit of a cheak given it is a warranty claim but there you go.

More when I hear more myself.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Paul, check your car insurance.

My Volt has been a guest of Chevrolet for the last 3 1/2 weeks. :-(
Meantime I have a Seat Leon from Enterprise. When I collected it they asked me what excess I had on my insurance and (my wife having suggested I read the insurance documents the night before) I had great pleasure in saying I had no excess. The chap from Enterprise said he'd never heard of that but when I pulled up the insurance certificate on my phone he had to accept it and wrote down £0 excess on the hire form.

Specifically, my insurance says I'm covered for (a) my own car, and
(b) Any motor car which is loaned or hired to the Policyholder under the Insurer's Motor Damage Claim
Service or by a member of the Motor Trade while the vehicle specified above is in the custody of the
Motor Trader for service, repair or MOT.
Then in the footnotes:
The cover for a loan or hire car mentioned is:
* Motor Trade courtesy car - Comprehensive cover including all policy excesses.
* Motor Damage claim service (our selected repairer service), temporary replacement car - comprehensive, no excess
All other policy terms and conditions apply - this includes drivers allowed to drive and their use - section 5 and 6.
You may or may not have an excess for temporary replacement cars on your insurance, but if it isn't more than your normal excess paying for CDW is probably not worth the money.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,508 Posts
I collected my car back from Peter Vardy today, they have had it in since Monday but I could not collect it yesterday when it was 'ready'. They have finally fixed the issues that should have been noticed had a thorough PDI been carried out or been sorted the last couple of times it has been in, thanks to help from My Ampera after a post on Facebook. Last time it was in there was a bit of rework to the charging flap and it stopped 'popping open' with the door button. This has now been re-adjusted and tonight when I came home, 6c and wet, it opened with the door button and no manual intervention. Now all that is left is the documentation for the extra paintwork protection warranty, £100 promotional fuel card, and the paintwork defect to be fixed. Back to pre-heating in the morning and heated seats.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I got a call today from the dealer who said that there was a small leak which they were able to fix but there was also some electroc warnings that needed resetting. They reset the electronics (don't know what as the mechanic left early) and they applied a couple of updates and a recall for the charge port door (presumably to stop it sticking?). Got it back this afternoon.

Can't argue with that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts